Chad Smith

this is kinda off topic but has anyone noticed the resemblance between Chad smith and Will Ferrel they look like they could be brothers. and i cant wait till rhcp go on tour in september, they are the greatest band alive

i think that was mentioned earlier with pics and everything. i must say, dani california seems like one of their heaviest songs yet.

ewanlaing said:
i think that was mentioned earlier with pics and everything. i must say, dani california seems like one of their heaviest songs yet.

Nahh, not one of their heaviest.

They have made heavier songs on previous cd's.

When I first heard Dani California, I was dissapointed, because my jaw didn't really drop like I wanted it to... However, it grew on me, and now I love it. I was watching this concert of theirs. Live in Paris I think, and they played quite a few of their new songs.... I gotta say I love them... I like it more than Californication, and maybe more than By the Way too. And the energy when they were playing was just so amazing... I mean, they were all connecting so well with each other, and it showed so much in the way they played. It was so energetic, and real.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I love their older stuff, but this is just a difference in style, and I love the change.

Hata off to Anthony, Flea, John, and Chad.

He's the perfect guy for a band like RHCP.....excellent groove and sense of humor / stage presence. It's a pleasure to see him perform live.

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

NUTHA JASON said:
get his DVD it is hilarious. he is such a skater dude. but then he sits down and the power is all there.

j

yeah that video is entertaining I loved it for the fun and also for one or two grooves he spits out whcih are pretty interesting.

for people who say he doesn't have technique or is not that fast (of course if you don't compare him with drummers like Weckl, Gadd etc for technique and Sandoval etc for speed), but when he gives a shot on his warm-up in his video through flams, doubles etc I think there's some perfromance, we shouldn't underestimate his technical/speed abilities

dry_water said:
When I first heard Dani California, I was dissapointed, because my jaw didn't really drop like I wanted it to... However, it grew on me, and now I love it. I was watching this concert of theirs. Live in Paris I think, and they played quite a few of their new songs.... I gotta say I love them... I like it more than Californication, and maybe more than By the Way too. And the energy when they were playing was just so amazing... I mean, they were all connecting so well with each other, and it showed so much in the way they played. It was so energetic, and real.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I love their older stuff, but this is just a difference in style, and I love the change.

Hata off to Anthony, Flea, John, and Chad.

Yeah, in their live shows, they always have huge chemistry between them.

Gotta love the solo's between john and flea...

radiofriendlyunitshifter said:
no, not their heaviest in the least. very poppy. very good too, but check out their older

stuff and you'll see how heavy they can get.
i have some of their older stuff, but i'm not a huge chillis expert if i'm honest. the chorus certainly seems like the heaviest i've heard from a chillis single. even "give it away" seems sparse in comparison.

ewanlaing said:
i have some of their older stuff, but i'm not a huge chillis expert if i'm honest. the chorus certainly seems like the heaviest i've heard from a chillis single. even "give it away" seems sparse in comparison.

Give it away isn't really a 'heavy' song, it's extremely funky though.

Stone Cold Bush and Subway to Venus are awesome tunes. Lots more funky grooves on Mother's Milk. A younger, more punky Chad. Not too punky though really.

After Mother's Milk Chad just kept getting funkier and more laid back with his grooves. I'm thinking Mellowship Slinky in B Major, My Lovely Man, The Righteous and the Wicked etc, then stuff like Suck my Kiss and Walkabout. Now that's what I call Chadtastic. You gotta love him. I think the rest of the band have just gone a bit too poppy now. Chad's still the funk, but he is being restrained by the poorer songs.

So...now that Stadium Arcadium is out.... What is everyone's opinion of it?

Personally I loved it from 1st listen. I'm a big chilis fan - my whole band loves em. They write kick arse songs, and some of my favourite to play. I was dissapointed by By The Way but Stadium Arcadium has a much better feel to it. Yeah they are bringin some funk back, but thier soft stuff i reckon has much more feeling than By The Way.....Anyway I'm really liken it atm. Everyone else?

Chad is a great drummer!

And...

After reading the posts in this thread I noticed something I find bit strange...

People compare Chad' technique with Vinnie's and Dave's...

Don't forget that it is the SOUND that defines the technique. NOT the speed! And one have to admit that Chad's sound is HUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEEEE!!!! And that Dave's sound is SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!

Everyone has the right to an opinon and thats what makes us individuals. Its all about perspective and thats what makes life. Chad smith has a brilliant perspective on the way drumming should be in his genera of music( even though there is very few bands who fit into this) i love playing to the chili peppers because it puts me in a good mood, but i will say that he isnt too technical but after all it might mess up the great music the others have put together if he were to make his drumming alot more bad ass.

After Modern Drummer 05 I thought he was way over-rated. I mean everything he does isn't that impressive.

chad smith is one of my favorite groove masters. i love Stadium Arcadium. some of the great drum tracks, and great tracks in general, on it are "Readymade" "Charlie" "Warlocks" and "Hard to Concentrate"

MrCrazy said:
After Modern Drummer 05 I thought he was way over-rated. I mean everything he does isn't that impressive.

I'm sorry, but that post is idiotic. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's my opinion. Drums were never created as a way to impress people. They're a musical istrument. If there's anything Chad does extremely well, it's making a song feel good. Every Chili Peppers song I've heard has a DYNAMITE feel to it. No wonder he's working with artists like Glenn Hughes and the Dixie Chicks. Chad is starting to become a pretty in-demand studio musician.

How could you base your judgement on Chad by what he did at the MD Fest? He went out there, to entertain people and have a good time, and I'll tell you, Ian and him were the most entertaining act of them all.

Chad is a musician. not a drummer. He plays for the song. Sure, there's guys out there that can play rings around Chad, but saying that he's not impressive is almost laughable. Have you ever seen him in clinic? Have you ever gone to a Chili Pepper's show? Obviously not, because your opinion would be different.

I find it ironic that people worship Bonham, but seem to overlook Chad's talent. No disrespect to Bonham, he was a key figure in drum history, but I believe Chad is too.

MrCrazy said:

pinky=yes he is impressive and anyway he wears cool hats AND plays AWESOME drums!!!!!

pinky xx

I'm not sure wearing cool hats has anything to do with anything, but i agree with you. he plays AWESOME drums.

i found Stadium Arcadium to be a little disappointing. in some of the ballady stuff, chad's restrained to keep an ordinary beat throughout, and it's dull and unimaginative (She Looks To Me). but i have to say, some of the songs are REALLY funky and great. anyone who doesn't love Readymade should reconsider being a Chilis fan at all. Turn It Up Again's also great I think. I don't like Hard To Concentrate, it just sounds like any other pop song.

Chilis jamming at concert is brilliant. they can communicate by just playing their instruments.
i read the recent interview on Modern Drummer Magazine, and he sounds like a real humble guy compared to his status.

Who else likes Soul Mover?

HardRockDrummer said:
I'm not sure wearing cool hats has anything to do with anything, but i agree with you. he plays AWESOME drums.

i found Stadium Arcadium to be a little disappointing. in some of the ballady stuff, chad's restrained to keep an ordinary beat throughout, and it's dull and unimaginative (She Looks To Me). but i have to say, some of the songs are REALLY funky and great. anyone who doesn't love Readymade should reconsider being a Chilis fan at all. Turn It Up Again's also great I think. I don't like Hard To Concentrate, it just sounds like any other pop song.

Chilis jamming at concert is brilliant. they can communicate by just playing their instruments.
i read the recent interview on Modern Drummer Magazine, and he sounds like a real humble guy compared to his status.

Who else likes Soul Mover?

I think Soul Mover is an excellent album. I can't wait for Music For The Divine. But I found Stadium Arcadium to be an amazing album. They definitely had the perfect balance between their funk and pop stuff. They've ALL grew so much as musicians. I think Readymade and Wet Sand are my favorites, but I also LOVE Hard to Concentrate, Snow, and Charlie. Have you noticed the great old school rock feel that Strip My Mind has?

Back