Used Roland TD9 vs New Roland TD11KS

Rhino

To start off, this is my first post and I am not a drummer... Yet! I have always wanted to play the drums and have decided that the time is now! I have gone through several other threads that are asking for virtually the same thing "Help me I can't decide!" and realize that my question is slightly different than what I saw. I wanted to read several other threads to see if my questions could be answered first and although I am learning some stuff, I just don't know what my best route should be. I recognize that there are a crazy number of great drummers and wanna be's like myself that have more knowledge on this stuff than I do. Nuff said.

I am looking at a roughly 2 year old used Roland TD9 (I don't know if has version 1 or 2, but I'm waiting for that info as we speak) with 1 crash, 1 ride, 1 hi hat, 1 kick, 4 toms (all rubber pads) and 1 mesh snare. Versus a new TD11KS. The price of the used Roland is $800 and comes with a kick petal. The new kit costs $1000 plus kick. Both need a throne and headset/amp. I have not seen the used yet to see the condition, and it has tom pads instead of cymbals, apparently because the 'feel is better and the rim shots are easier' (is what I think he said).

I won't be playing in a band or anything extravagant, just jamming to some music. Any information or tips would be helpful. Thank you for your time and any suggestions you can make.

Chad

Hello. First off are you looking only at Rolands? They are good kits, I have tried one in stores. What is your budget, as in how much are you willing to spend?

My budget is around $1000. I am looking for suggestions based on the strengths and weaknesses of each of these sets as they compare to each other. I am aware that Roland drums have a large following in the drumming world, although I'm sure there are a few others including Yamaha that also offer great drum kits. I however have decided on Roland as my drum kit of choice.

I also just found out that it is a version 1. The seller informed me that he found information stating that version 1 can be upgraded?
"In June 2011, Roland released firmware Version 2 for the TD-9. All TD-9 modules, no matter how old they are, can be updated to this new version." Pulled off the Roland website."

Does anyone know if this is true? It seems to contradict what I have heard from other posts on this site...

Chad

It can be updated to v2, but from what I understand you have to send it to roland and pay like $75. I was kind of in your situation about 9 months ago.

I had a slightly larger budget and I had been building a kit around an spd30 so I had a bunch of pads and a vh11. I wound up buying a td15 for 650. I chose it over the the 9 because all the guys at vdrums.com said the newer modules were way better. I have played a td9 and the 11/15's do play better.the 9 does not suck tho. I chose the 15 over the td11 because it had 100 kits and 500 sounds and tons of effects. After 9 months... I love the 15. But I use 10 kits. And I don't touch about 450 of the sounds and none of the effects. I'm pretty sure I'd be just as happy with the td11. The 11/15 you can jam along with mp3 and .wav files from a USB stick. You can also record insane sounding drums directly onto a PC. You don't need a interface or anything.

As a beginner I'd go td11 and try and get mesh pads. I play acoustics live, but at home pretty much only my roland kit. Love it.

Blackstone, thanks for your opinion! In order to get mesh pads on the TD11KS, it would cost another $500! After taxes, and such I would be closer to the $2000 mark. If I was an experienced drummer with years of experience, I would maybe try and save to get a killer kit! Unfortunately, I have no idea if I can actually play. I plan on taking lessons of some sort. Thanks again.

Chad

Try rmcaudiodirect.com. Get the phone number. You need to call. You should be able to get a good deal. Tell them what you want.

I got my TD9kx (all mesh pads) around 2 years ago used for $1,000 at my local store and I love it.
If you can get your hands on a mesh kit, I'd definitely recommend it....try craigslist, ebay, etc...

For the upgrade to v2 you don't need to send your module anywhere or pay anything....you can find it on the internet, save it to a USB and then install it in the module. I upgraded mine around one year ago so I don't remember exactly where I found it but it's definitely out there. It has better sounds IMHO.

Good luck

I had a TD-9 v.2 module a few months back. It doesn't add a ton more sounds than the v.1 TD-9, but if you like a few more snare sounds and some more bass drum sounds I suppose it is worth it.

You get a bit more tuning capabilities with the TD-9 than you do with the TD-11, but the TD-11 sounds may be a bit better right from the start.

You get more sounds with the TD-9, but some of them are probably a bit crap. There is also a lot more support for the TD-9 than the TD-11 as it has been out a lot longer and is a mid-level kit instead of an intro kit. So companies like Vexpressions has a number of custom tuned packs that you can purchase. They only offer one pack for the TD-11.

My starter kit was a used TD 6 with all rubber pads, kick pedal and throne for $350

I'd start cheap and upgrade as you progress. You can always sell used stuff for close to what you paid for it.

You get a bit more tuning capabilities with the TD-9 than you do with the TD-11, but the TD-11 sounds may be a bit better right from the start.

I dont have nor ever did have a TD9, I only have the user manual I downloaded when deciding which module to get. But I believe this is incorrect, unless they didn't put everything in the manual(which wouldn't suprise me).

The TD9 has Head Tuning, Muffling, Ambience and a 2 band equalizer.

the TD11/15 has Head Tuning, Muffling, Snare Buzz, Strainer, Tone Color, Ambience and a 4 Band Equalizer.

I've seen people in several threads on different forums make this comment and I never understand what they mean. Are there other editing features on the td9. I'm not bashing the 9, Im sure it's an awesome module, I'd just like to know how it has more tuning capabilities than the newer modules.

The TD9 has Head Tuning, Muffling, Ambience and a 2 band equalizer.

the TD11/15 has Head Tuning, Muffling, Snare Buzz, Strainer, Tone Color, Ambience and a 4 Band Equalizer.

Hmm... That is more tuning options, but you get a lot less sounds, so maybe finding and manipulating the sounds to your liking may be harder on the TD-11? I'm not sure as I have never played on a TD-11 and I only owned the TD-9 module for a few weeks. Its paled in comparison to my TD-30 and I felt it wouldn't even be suitable for accessory cymbal sounds on my kit.

That's not to sound pretentious. The TD-9 is a very nice module, but I had such a hard time trying to blend the two modules sounds together to sound seamless. The TD-30 and the TD-9 just sound too different from each other. It was too obvious when I hit a pad hooked up to the TD-30 and when I hit a pad hooked up to the TD-9.

Well, I thought that I would send an update on what I bought... I ended up with the new TD11K. I just felt the extra money spent for the warranty and newer technology would be a better fit for me. I tried them out and felt completely clumsy as it was my first real time playing the drums. I know I will get better with time though. Thank you to everyone that contrivuted to my questions! Happy drumming!

Chad

I recently got a td-11 kit my self (last week), also brand new to the drums, and cant put the sticks down. I do recommend getting the vex sounds, for thirty dollars the kits sound even better than the stock kits on the module.

Interesting post. Glad you got the TD-11. For future reference, it's interesting to see what you can end up with if and when you upgrade to mesh pads. My upgraded kit ends up being around $2000, and I have an extra crash and extra tom. Right now, this upgraded TD-11KS works best for me, considering how much it would cost to go up to the next level, the TD-15, as this chart will show you (prices in Canadian dollars):

.......................TD-11KS..............Upgraded TD-11KS.............TD-15KV

Snare:.............. PDX-8......................PD-105..............................PDX-100
Hi-hat:............. CY-5........................CY-5.................................VH-11
Ride: ............... CY-8........................CY-13R.............................CY-13R
Crash 1:...........CY-8........................CY-8.................................CY-12C
Crash 2:...........N/A..........................CY-8.................................N/A
Tom 1:.............PD-8A......................PDX-8...............................PD-85
Tom 2:.............PD-8A......................PDX-8...............................PD-85
Tom 3:.............PD-8A.....................PDX-100............................PDX-100
Tom 4:.............N/A.........................PDX-100............................N/A
Kick: .............. KD-9.......................KD-9..................................KD-9

Total:..............$900.......................$2000 ................................$2800

Last edited:
Back