Homemade Richie Rings: How?

DrewTheShoe

I have recently bought some new snare heads (Coated Amb, Snare Side Amb, absolutely love it), and I tuned em up nice for me (nice fat and wet, slapping the snares) but I have a tad bit of undesired overtones.

I have my old trusty Tama stock head that I plan on using...never, since the coatings already off after about a month and a half, and I'm saving up for some new hats, so any money spared is well worth it.

I've heard people making homemade Richie/O/Studio Rings out of old heads, so I figure I might as well try.
I only have one shot at this, so I'm trying to make it right.

My question is: How exactly do I do it?

Also: If the entire ring muffles it too much, then I think I'm just going to cut it up some more and place only some of it on.
I read somewhere on here of a guy doing it and loving it, so if you know how to do it then any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I did it once. You take a razor blade to an old head cutting around the perimeter inside the rim. Then, you cut out the middle based on the width you want (remember you can always cut more off, but you can't add more) You can refine the edges later after it's separated from the rim. This works much better than paying for them. Although, I highly recommend Moon Gels over rings (now that I've tried them).

Putting rings on drums subtracts vital frequencies needed to make the drum sound alive. Is that what you want? If so just ignore me.

Back