Kenny Aronoff

Dr. Neaux

Check out Kenny's work on Stryper's new album due out this July, Murder By Pride. You can download the song Murder By Pride and Peace of Mind(Boston cover w/Tom Sholtz on guitar) on i-Tunes or go to Stryper's myspace page and listen to it on their music player. Kenny shows off his amazing versatility in laying down some killer tracks. It's no wonder Kenny is as sought-after as he is. I'm a die-hard Stryper/Robert Sweet fan, but Kenny kicked some serious rear-end on these tunes. Incredible work Kenny! (pic below is Kenny with Michael Sweet of Stryper)

Attachments

• michael_sweet_kenny_aronoff.jpg
    michael_sweet_kenny_aronoff.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 4,073
Kenny is just too good. He's sickening. He makes it all look too easy.

Very nice guy though. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at least three times.

Yeah, Kenny is awesome!
Just curious, why didn't Michael's brother Robert Sweet
play on those tunes?

Also - Which drummer will be playing out on tour?
I will be seeing them in Sept.

Best,
Chazz

Kenny Aronoff is one of the world's most influential and in-demand drummers. The list of artists he's worked with reads like a who's who of the music industry, and includes John Mellencamp, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bob Seger, John Fogerty, Melissa Etheridge, Jon Bon Jovi, Elton John, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Alanis Morissette, The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Puddle of Mudd, Avril Lavigne, Joe Cocker, B. B. King, Mick Jagger, Ray Charles, Alice Cooper, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Raitt, Ricky Martin, Santana, Trey Anastasio, Michelle Branch, Vince Gill, Gladys Knight, Aaron Neville, Trisha Yearwood, Patti LaBelle, George Jones, Conway Tritty, The Buddy Rich Big Band and many others. With a style of playing that combines power and finesse, Kenny was named the #1 Pop/Rock Drummer and the #1 Studio Drummer for five consecutive years by the readers of Modern Drummer Magazine, and in addition has played on over 30 Grammy-nominated recordings. (from http://www.kennyaronoff.com/bio/)

Kenny must be one of the most widely respected rock drummers...or indeed, any drummers in the world. He has played with a massive amount of artists, and has proven his ability live and in the studio.

But I am going to be controversial and mention one thing I DON'T like about him.

Kenny writes a monthly 'drum diary' page for England's Rhythm magazine. And the way he writes is just odd (at least in the ones I have read). He doesn't really talk about days 'at the office' or interesting experiences all that much, like the other guys do. He just lists all the gigs and sessions he's done since the last column, lists all the gigs and sessions coming up, and then casually complains about having no time off. And something about the whole approach to me is a little...strange. It seems very conceited to me. I suppose he is in a position to be that way, and I also suppose it could be a bit of jealousy on my part.. But it strikes me as a little odd. If you're so busy, Mr Aronoff, and so wanting a break, start taking some. The chances of you running out of work are slim indeed. Why say yes to everybody and then moan about too much work?

Anyway, there's no denying his ability behind the kit. For that I give him full marks.

Some cool little interviews with Kenny, discussing Chickenfoot and his past work with Mellencamp, Forgerty and such

http://somethingelsereviews.com/201...amp-the-buddy-rich-big-band-and-john-fogerty/

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/02/22/something-else-interview-chickenfoots-kenny-aronoff/

And while he's told the storyof Jack and Dianne before it's still intense:
This was a ballad; you couldn’t possibly do a drum solo. I literally composed that thing, piece by piece, on the spot. I was fighting for my job, because I saw two people get fired on that record. And now, I had to come up with something that was musical. I remember at one point, walking back to my drums, going: ‘Dude, you’ve got 25 beats to save your job. … now you’ve got 15 … now you’ve got 10 …’

The 1st clinic I ever saw and I will never forget..Probably my favorite drummer

I saw kenny in a clinic in the late 80's. All I knew off him was the Cougar/Mellencamp stuff and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. I don't think anyone else was either because he came out, didn't say a word and proceeded to play a jazz solo that literally dropped almost every jaw there, mine included. He did explain the Jack & Diane "solo", hoe he was fired from the earlier record and managed to keep his job and his whole concept of just "Laying it down".

As already mentioned, there is a reason he has played on so many records....

I see that the Kenny Aronoff signature snare drums are no longer listed on Tama's web site. He's still listed as an endorser, though. What's the scoop on that? Does anyone know?

I see that the Kenny Aronoff signature snare drums are no longer listed on Tama's web site. He's still listed as an endorser, though. What's the scoop on that? Does anyone know?
They did a run of 30 engraved sig snares a few months ago. I imagine all is well.

Did you folks read Kenny's Book? Sex, Drums and Rock and Roll. All about his life and getting into Drumming - right from his first seeing Ringo in 1964 on Ed Sullivan Show.
I did indeed read it.

I thought it was alright as far as autobiographies go. I was hoping he would get more into what motivates him, what he's thinking, and his health routines. Instead, it was more of a glorified resume with some stories thrown in. Though the milk scam was pretty brutal.

Most signature products end up being limited-time offers.

Or it just didn't sell well enough to keep is in the catalog. I mean, it was, for the most part, just a copy of a Ludwig black beauty.

Most signature products end up being limited-time offers.

Or it just didn't sell well enough to keep is in the catalog. I mean, it was, for the most part, just a copy of a Ludwig black beauty.
At the recording workshop i attended, he talked about it, When Tama approached him to make a signature snare, he gave them a black beauty he'd used & liked and said, "Just like this". But it's not seamless.

Didn't they release the $2k 40th anniversary model a few months ago with the engraving?

Didn't they release the $2k 40th anniversary model a few months ago with the engraving?
Yes, but the $700 models are gone from Tama's snare drum listings.

I did indeed read it.

I thought it was alright as far as autobiographies go. I was hoping he would get more into what motivates him, what he's thinking, and his health routines. Instead, it was more of a glorified resume with some stories thrown in. Though the milk scam was pretty brutal.
Although there maybe Threads about this topic of Drummer autobiographies, I would volunteer another less known one. From Headstock to Woodstock .... written by Ric Lee of Ten Years After (Alvin Lee as one of the Greatest Guitarists - no relation to Ric). Interesting read as TYA got together in England in the early days playing various Clubs and ending up at Woodstock 1969! If you don't recall or have never seen the Movie, IMHO, TYA doing "I'm Going Home" [by Helicopter] was spectacular and worthy of an induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for that performance alone.

Back