New Yamaha Oak Custom Kit...

adam!

I've had this kit for awhile now, but only recently added a second bass drum to the lot... Thought I'd snap a few pics for the fun of it. This is a Yamaha Oak Custom kit in York Honey Amber finish. The sound is incredible. I've been through a few kits in too short a time than I'd care to admit, but I ended up back with Oak for a bigger kit. Sizes are:
8x7 (not pictured)
10x8
12x9
14x14
16x16
22x17 x2
Pretty basic sizes. I like the slightly shorter bass drums (16" deep would have been ideal), and I love square size floor toms. I got the main kit through Guitar Center (used) and picked up the second bass drum used on ebay (for a steal). I've gotta say, I love Yamaha's construction both in drums and hardware. I love the bass drum legs, the tom mounts, the single point lugs, and the fact that I have two toms and two cymbals mounted on one stand. The only additions were the floor tom leg wing screws and Pearl suspension tom feet (would recommend these on any kit). This is how I usually set up:
DSCN1005.JPG
DSCN1004.JPG
DSCN1007.JPG
DSCN1010.JPG
DSCN1011.JPG
DSCN1012.JPG
DSCN1013.JPG
The snare is a Sonor Danny Carey Signature snare (also from ebay). I added Sonor die cast hoops later (the beefiest die cast hoops I've ever seen!). DC is a big influence, but having a 14x8 bronze snare for the price I got it is well worth it (however, weight is about 20-25 lbs)... Incredible sound from this snare. A before and two after pics:
$(KGrHqV,!okE+4CCHJDlBQ!ciqHgp!~~60_57.jpg
DSCN1014.JPG
DSCN1016.JPG

Last edited:
Worth mentioning (before anyone else does) is my violation of the number one rule in photography: reflections of lawn mowers...
Here is another set up I've been playing around with lately... I love the single rack, double bass idea, with aux. hi hat option. 24" ride is used more as a crash ride in this configuration. A bit of a Tomas Haake influence here:
DSCN1018.JPG
DSCN1020.JPG
DSCN1022.JPG
DSCN1023.JPG
DSCN1024.JPG
DSCN1025.JPG
DSCN1026.JPG
Here is how I would set up for a quick gig (when I'm feeling lazy):
DSCN1028.JPG
DSCN1029.JPG
DSCN1030.JPG
Cymbals are all Paiste:
14" Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats
20" 2oo2 Novo China
18" Signature Full Crash
18" Signature Mellow Crash
21" Signature Dry Heavy Ride
20" Twenty China
20" Signature Full Crash
Also shown:
15" 2oo2 Sound Edge Hi Hats
20" Giant Beat Multi
24" Giant Beat Multi

Beautiful drums man. I love the Yamaha Oak drums - the one kit I demoed at a Guitar Center years ago was top notch and reminds me of solid bubinga (I had a Tama Starclassic bubinga elite kit). I take it you gig alot with two bass drums?

Beautiful drums man. I love the Yamaha Oak drums - the one kit I demoed at a Guitar Center years ago was top notch and reminds me of solid bubinga (I had a Tama Starclassic bubinga elite kit). I take it you gig alot with two bass drums?

Thanks man. Do I gig with two bass drums a lot? Usually, but not always. Depends on the gig... Sometimes I'm feeling lazy or don't need a second bass. I have to stay consistent with my P90X program to haul the gear when I do though! Sometimes the Bonham kit goes out too.
Almost forgot... This will probably make more sense to you:
flip.JPG

Beautiful!

I sincerely hope you play that outside too. I'm sure the neighbors will get distracted from their noise complaints by that killer finish!

Thank you. Unfortunately, no. In fact, I wanted to snap pics and get them back inside as soon as possible! I always feel like I'm pushing the limits by playing in doors as it is. But I wish...

Thanks man. Do I gig with two bass drums a lot? Usually, but not always. Depends on the gig... Sometimes I'm feeling lazy or don't need a second bass. I have to stay consistent with my P90X program to haul the gear when I do though! Sometimes the Bonham kit goes out too.
Almost forgot... This will probably make more sense to you:
View attachment 55510

Thank you. Unfortunately, no. In fact, I wanted to snap pics and get them back inside as soon as possible! I always feel like I'm pushing the limits by playing in doors as it is. But I wish...

Thanks! That makes me feel more at home!

lovely kit man. I love the finish and I love your hardware management. Especially the centre stand with the two toms and cymbals coming from it in perfect symetry, with the two kicks perfectly on the side. Makes my heart jump a little :D.

That's one beauty of a kit. I see you have some of those inexpensive Paistes. Ha Ha. I've got 1 Sig. 18 full crash. I'm thinking about another but they're pretty pricey. Very nice pics. I enjoy looking at other peoples kits. Thanks for posting.

Gorgeous kit man! Lovin' the Haake setup.

Great looking kit, love the oak drums. Great sound. Have fun with them.

Absolutely gorgeous looking kit, the configs bring back memories too :)

I love the double bass with the single rack tom a la Louie Bellson, I feel I could seat and play it, wonderful...

Man those are gorgeoulicious. Love the oak finish. Do you have any better pictues of the mower? Just proof that you also do the domestic chores. And a great gesture to set them up for Bo's perspective. They even look good to me in the southpaw arrangement.

Yes those are stunning. The drums and photo and surrounding nature makes me want to visit Chattanooga in person. Choo choo!

Man those are gorgeoulicious. Love the oak finish. Do you have any better pictues of the mower? Just proof that you also do the domestic chores.

Haha, it's nothing special, but you can bet I take care of my chores! The secret to a good marriage...

Yes those are stunning. The drums and photo and surrounding nature makes me want to visit Chattanooga in person. Choo choo!

Go for it, it's nice here. You can even have a go at the drums.

That looks great!

As a DC fan for 100% of my drumming life, I know the allure in setting up my kit like his. Your tom mount and duel boom stand is perfect. Send me a link for that piece of hardware if you don't mind!

Have you tried raising and inverting your ride even more like his?

How is the snare?

Back