Your preferred music genres?

oy. evening booze turns me into a prick when trying to make a point about something im passionate about. i believe "responsed rudely" doesnt quite do it enough justice bud so please, allow me to apologize. lol

I try and listen to everything, oh course I have my favs so in the car at the moment are things like 'Burning for Buddy', Zappa, Zao, SSS, Dag Nasty, Husker Du, Manu Chao, Buenavista Social Club etc

But as a drummer I find for me it's best to have as many tunes, rythyms, beats in my head as possible. I don't discount anything within reason.

Gruv, I agree with what you are saying here. (may be a lit'l rude) but feel ya 100%. if you're not playing your instrument rether it be drums, guitar, sax, or what ever, without passion then you're not making music from the heart and then it has no meaning.

we had a guy in our band like that he only showed up for the money. he was a very talented fiddle player but had no passion what so ever, and to me that is very sad. this guy has since then quit music and sold all his music equipment.

anyway ya gotta have passion.

i grew up with all different kinds of music. my collection and listening is made up from anything from The Wiggles to ACDC, even got a cup'l rap songs i'll listen to from time to time. but to play drums to is usually old country or old rock (the easy to play stuff).

Some 20 years ago I'd have said:
(- AC/DC, Scorpions = what got me into hard rock/metal in the first place)
- heavy metal (that is, maybe 5% of what is out there), mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica for the first years. At first I couldn't bear faster/more aggressive stuff like Sepultura and Slayer but then started to enjoy them.
- guitar hero stuff (Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen etc) -> From 1990 on, made me focus on guitar technique and develop good technical skills and speed. This was triggered quite simply: A friend of mine lent me an audio tape/guitar hero sampler by Shrapnel label, with all those terrific guitar heroes (see above). I had never listened to guitar hero stuff before. First I was floored - never thought this would be possible on guitars - and also frustrated, but after 2 weeks or so this turned into motivation - and changed my life, haha.

Before that there was a brief period of time when I was into pop, listening to Madonna (still like a good part of her music), Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys... and worse ;-) Plus a short period in the early 90's when I liked some dancefloor stuff, too.

Then in around 1994 I discovered Dream Theater and got into prog metal (both as a listener and a guitarist). A few years later Symphony X became my favourite metal band.

Some 4 years ago I discovered the beauty of the acoustic guitar in the vein of Andy McKee, Antoine DuFour. And more recently, Petteri Sariola and Jon Gomm.
Also discovered Loreena McKennitt at that time and am appreciating acoustic/"real" music much more now.

I like exotic music but haven't searched a lot for it. I like Indian/sitar music.

Soundtracks!! E.g. Conan, The Dark Crystal... there's so many good ones.

No jazz/fusion - at least not yet. But I like what I've heard from Allan Holdsworth.

Have been an el. guitarist for 21.5 years now, started the ac. guitar 4 years ago and got into drumming almost 2 years ago. I feel open to various genres ATM - more than in the past.

Last edited:
ohhhhh andy mckee & antione dufour .. yeah i defenitely enjoy what they do - especially dufour - some of his melodies are WAAAAAY TO POTENT with nothin but absolute beauty.

pretty much every guitarist on the candy rat label is amazing in his/her own way.

have you listened to ewan dobson yet? check em out ↓↓

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqPYte8tvc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ewan Dobson? - Yes, I've seen a few of his videos. He has a style of his own and is mind-blowing in his own right. As all those Candyrat cats.

But I'm not checking out music/new musos all the time - I know enough to enjoy their music. I see no sense YouTubing new bands - drummers, guitarists, you name it - all the time. I know there's millions - ok, at least thousands - which are astonishing musicians (not necessarily technically, but mature and original in what they do). What's the difference if I knew 10 times more bands/musos I'd like than now? Not enough time to check them all out.

I like listening to and playing rock, classic rock, old school prog, indie, metal, some hip hop, and jazz. As far as metal goes, I tend to gravitate more to the super technical stuff that makes most peoples' ears bleed and brains turn to mush (Blotted Science anyone?).

I'm a sucker for music that grooves real hard in odd and varying time signatures, like King Crimson and the Mars Volta.

Err difficult to answer. Mostly musica profana from almost any era but i'm most passionate about 20th century American theatre music (Great American Songbook). I do listen to quite a bit of Josquin and Palestrina so I do listen to musica sacreda. Love Gilbert and Sullivan with an undying passion. Most pop music from Stephen Foster onwards appeals to me. I attend the opera frequently and have written a few. Will play drums on anything, same with guitar or keyboard or singing. I like writing what I guess is a pseudo classical/broadway style (going by what people have said, i can never really tell) and love playing funk (and i get to do a olot of funky stuff in my current band which is tremendously fun.) I never really got into metal or hip hop but i try to keep my ears open for the occasional stellar song or artist in those genres. Most modern pop disappoints me but it's not necessarily the genre or aesthetic but the lackluster execution from the writing on down. My favorite music was written for the theatre by GF Handel. I love bowed strings and took violin lesson and still play every so often. I've written a few string quartets.

For listening and playing, these days my favorites are d-beat and crust punk, bop, and funk. I'll admit that musically I'm quite conservative and not at all adventurous. I like my bop relatively straightforward, and my funk mostly instrumental as well. I used to be way into classic rock and prog, but I've since completely burned out on that, although I still have eternal respect for Mr. Bonham.

I also burned out on most metal, the only metal I listen to anymore is of the ultra-slow "funeral doom" type á la Esoteric, though I have no interest in actually playing it myself.

I like certain rap artists quite a bit as well. I've been studying German since 2008 and have found some German hip-hop/rap artists that I really dig, my favorite being Umse.

My favorite genre to play is anything Punk rock from the 80s to the present. I'll listen to Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Descendants, Social Distortion D.O.A, and especially Classic Bad Religion.

Then you jump a bit further and I dig Dag Nasty, 90s Bad Religion, Green Day, Jawbreaker, and Cherry Poppin' Daddies

These days Modern Bad Religion, Rise Against, Motion City Soundtrack, Story of the Year, Sum 41, Yellowcard, The Wonder Years, and The Ataris.

Needless to say my favorite band is Bad Religion - I know their drummer; we have a semi-friend relationship, but it's more professional than that.

I've been a sub. drummer for my mom's oldies cover band, and I've played classic rock cover bands that played the bar gigs. I used to go down town and sit in with a jam session that plays every monday night. But some people started coming in and changing the atmosphere, so I quit.

As long as I'm around positive musicians, I'll dig playing with anybody in any genre, except maybe religious, especially if I'm getting paid. But Punk Rock will always be my calling for drums.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I've been listening to insane amounts of dub and dancehall while I do work... I don't even remember how it started. I've been working lots lately.

I grew up listening to a lot of underground hip-hop and drum and bass music. About a decade later, I'm still listening to the same brand of music in addition to a lot of electro house, trip-hop, and downtempo. I like the stuff that gets people moving, but at the same time I like music that's good to just listen to.

I don't really listen to anything specific, but I listen to a lot of different styles. I think there is musical validity in almost all styles. I try to keep away from the corrosive mainstream pop music though.

Prog Rock. Mainly Yes.

And some of the bands in the 'Madchester' movement of the 80s...love the Smiths and Morrissey probably still remains my favourite musician despite his fucked up viewpoints on stuff.

Also really enjoy most 60/70s bands, The Tremeloes, Searchers, Hollies, Manfred Mann, Byrds, Animals, Kinks, Who, Mamas & Papas, etc etc.

But the band I play in is probably what I'd term 'melodic punk' though it's been said that it's hard to bracket it.

I'll listen to most stuff other than modern manufactured boy and girl bands who I hate with a passion.

Never considered myself to be remotely interested in Blues or Jazz but I was round at a mates a while back and he had a Blues oriented digital radio station on and I really enjoyed most of the music I heard.

I tend to gravitate toward progressive metal (Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Mastodon, etc), post-bop (Blakey, Coltrane), progressive rock (King Crimson, Zappa, etc) and "modern" jazz/fusion (Bill Frisell, Brad Mehldau, ESB).

I've been getting into some newer hip hop artists recently though. Like Tyler the creator, a$ap rocky and Danny Brown.

I tend to favor syncopated music with strong percussive elements. Latin, jazz, Brasilian, Indian music etc. I also love swung music, funk, swing etc. I like some rock and pop but mostly I am over it. Especially what we call hard rock and metal. Streams of sixteenth notes don't do it for me.

When I was a kid I liked seventies glam and what is now called classic rock. But it bores me now. Only because I heard it so much and how many times can I read the same book.

What I really enjoy is being surprised by music. I love new music, music I never heard before. Anything new.

Back