Dave Grohl

Grohl is a decent technical drummer.

Most folks know him from his Nirvana playing and that was just bashing.

There's something wrong with me then.

He's successful so he did good.

Around 2004 I played in a trio that covered Song for the dead by the Queens. We played a concours called "The Rock Rally" in Belgium in that year and the live recording of that cover made it to a prime time radio show in Belgium. To this day, I remember that song being one of the most fun rock parts I ever played. Note for note, that song has it all for drums...an impressive intro, an original groove and an outro to wail away on. Dave Grohl is one hell of a tastefull drummer imo and I don't think he's underrated at all

I'm not a Dave Grohl worshiper, I just think he has contributed to rock pretty good the same way Keith Moon or something just in a different time.

Ok ok! He's not overrated! What were we thinking?

Now be careful if you say Ringo was overrated. Dave loves Ringo.

For me, DG's album stuff doesn't really do him justice. It's his live stuff that has always impressed me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbWfgEoQdo

I see stuff like the above that makes me say... "Wow, Dave is really in shape".

I also like that the parts he chooses are accessible to mortals. A lot of his work with Nirvana is extremely beginner friendly in terms of playing.

The bottom line is that he played exactly what was called upon for the music (perhaps the best compliment that can be made for any drummer). Hard to imagine Nirvana being as successful as they were without his involvement.

Calling him a basher ignores that he uses dynamics very well i.e. anyone remember Nirvana Unplugged? That was a huge moment for the band and the tv series as well.

He played drums for Queens of the Stone age- No One Knows. If you listen to his isolated track and still think he isn't great then there is something wrong with you!

https://youtu.be/GKPdwjFkoxY

He played on the whole album. I also really don't know many folks who would under-rate him. He's one of the best drummers on the planet and really knows how to make a song work.

Dave Grohl to me will always be the one who "taught me" how to play flam kick hh kick x4 intro to my very first rock song i have ever tried mastering my drumming to (smells like teen spirit)

He is to be appreciated for drumming to the music and the song itself. He was never independant on his own but an integral part of every band and song created on his part, whichever instrument it was. He isnt one of the greatesr drummers because of his tantalizing set of double kicks or godlike metric modulation or polyrhythmic skillset; it is simply that he recognized what the most important part of making music was... the song itself

Back