Gavin Harrison here!

Dear Mr. Harrison,

I know you have heard this many times, but i would also like to say it that i'm a big fan of your Drumming.

I'm also a drummer, but my 1st question to you is not related to drumming. Its more of a question on music and sound. So hear it is.....

Is it right to say that every feeling can be described with a set of musical scales and riffs? I ask this because of your experience in working with Mr. Steven Wilson, who as far as I know likes playing psychedelic and space rock music.

Cheers,
Aditya

Hi euphoric_anomaly

Sorry Fox622003 - I couldn't understand your transcription there.

cheers
Gavin

That's what I thought, I knew it was some kind of illusion on that part, what I wrote down can only be alright if what you were playing on the bell were eighth notes, but it was a sort of weird override apparently. So what I actually wrote as something really weird (the snare and two off 16th bass drums - which obviusly SOUND like that (but I thought weren't that)-), were normal, and it was the rest that was displaced :p .
Where do you get the guts to play this live from man? It's a rhythmic monster. I would be very, very reluctant to play it live, even if I had practised it very well!
And also, in your transcription there seem to be other notes aside from the accents, but I can't see you playing those (at least on the ride, are they the fills?) on that part you mentioned at 0:29. I can only hear and see the accents on the bell.

Fox.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

A friend told me you have incorporated (parts of) gamelan in your drumkit. Is this correct? If so, could you point me in the direction of some songs you have used this on?

also. just to get a pipe dream out there. Along with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez' and Alessandro Cortini's music styles, I put your music style in the "weird-but-awesome" category. I'd love to have the three of you working together, although it's likely this will never happen. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi adityasonakia

Is it right to say that every feeling can be described with a set of musical scales and riffs?

I don't know about every feeling. Certainly we have been conditioned through watching films that certain feeling are usually 'summed up' with certain sounds and chord progressions. You only need to watch Tom & Jerry cartoons to see how far they got with musically articulating certain moods and feelings.

Hi Fox622003

Where do you get the guts to play this live from man? It's a rhythmic monster. I would be very, very reluctant to play it live, even if I had practised it very well!

Futile is actually easier than you might think. I've certainly attempted much harder pieces in a live setting. "Unsettled" and "Centered" from my first album with 05Ric present much more challenging moments. In fact I played all three on the MD Festival DVD.

And also, in your transcription there seem to be other notes aside from the accents, but I can't see you playing those (at least on the ride, are they the fills?) on that part you mentioned at 0:29. I can only hear and see the accents on the bell.

This wasn't meant to be a transcription as such but just a guide to show where the accents are. Sometimes the accent is a bass drum - other times it's a snare drum. I just wanted to show the "illusion" of that riff section. A lot of folks think that it's triplets in a slower tempo.

Hi Tuhan

A friend told me you have incorporated (parts of) gamelan in your drumkit. Is this correct? If so, could you point me in the direction of some songs you have used this on?

I've never incorporated Gamelan in my drumset. He probably was referring to this video of "19 Days" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY where Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin play Balinese barangan, which is a type of gamelan metallophone.

Hi SantiBanks

Just a small question concerning the upcoming gig at the Pistoia Bluesfestival. I was wondering how long you guys would play. An hour? (as it's a festival) or longer?

I think we'll play longer than an hour as (far as I've understood it) it's just Anathema and PT playing that night.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Fox622003

Futile is actually easier than you might think. I've certainly attempted much harder pieces in a live setting. "Unsettled" and "Centered" from my first album with 05Ric present much more challenging moments. In fact I played all three on the MD Festival DVD.

I know, that was crazy to play all the toughest songs there, like Anesthetize with the double pedal section as well. Yeah, those you mentioned definitely have more difficult elements, but there are some really displaced fills in Futile that got me distracted that day, guess I was just overwhelmed :p.
Thanks for the replies Gavin, I'll try to make it for the NYC show.

Fox.

Hi Gavin

In a video I found of you on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAP4fxPSu0&NR=1) there are some thing I find particulary impressive. Not gonna bother you with them all though, just have to ask you... At, more or less, exactly 1:54 you show some astonishing moves on the hi-hat, what are you doing there? Is it double strokes or something else?

On a sidenote, will it be possible to meet you at the RAH gig to get a drumstick signed? Would be really cool!

Best regards
/Emil

OK let me stop you there. First of all this is a very deceptive piece and I hope you realise that the whole section is a rhythmic illusion right? It sounds like it's triplet based but it's not. Check out this video and in particular the riff section that starts at 29 seconds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2kFrD1eWI
and here's a simple version of that illusion
View attachment 33886

Augh! My downbeat is different. I wrote out a lead sheet to this song and I started from the beginning of the illusion with the eighth/sixteenth pattern on the end. I also wrote my interpretation of what happens at 0:18 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2kFrD1eWI. I was writing out the rhythm for the guitar player to follow. it's pretty cut up but it made sense to me because it followed what the ride pattern was doing. I'm sure it's write but I'm curious if there's an easier way to write it out. Rather, it looks right to me.

Attachments

• Futile.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 362
Hi Gavin; I've recently been going through some of your work with my teacher. It's certainly giving me a flogging! I've got a quick question if you don't mind:

Is it possible to get a hold of some of the backing tracks you've used for PASIC, Drummerlive, MD fest etc? Specifically, I'd love to get my hands on drumless versions of Slippin' Away or the Sound of Muzak. I'm not entirely familiar yet with your written work; so if I could buy them with a book or similar that'd be fantastic. If they're not available for purchase, I promise I'll buy all your books if you put some tracks on the net for free, haha.

Sorry if it's already been asked, I've been through the first 70 odd pages of this thread but can't remember seeing it.

Hi Gavin

I have worked slavishly, when taking lessons, through your Rhythmic Illusions book and my tutor, Gary O'Toole, often sang your praises. However, I only recently watched some of your vids on Youtube. Wow, they were very impressive and I just loved your feel and dynamic. What's so odd is that I can't stand drum solos per se, but I could watch you and Jojo Mayer all day long and never get bored.

Cheers Gavin
Davo

I'm working on Centered. Really dig the groove (played it for our wonderful drummer, he liked the groove a lot too) and I don't find it too hard to understand and play. The only tricky part is the speeding up section from the slower tempo (with the illegal triplet) to the original tempo (though the bassparts really help).
Futile however is still something I cannot grasp. At least not the stuff you do at the end (I always get lost). I find it therefore interesting to see that find Centered a much harder piece to play then Futile (though I can imagine that playing that stuff with a real band brings a level of complexity as opposed to playing along a clicktrack and backing track).

Hi SantiBanks
I think we'll play longer than an hour as (far as I've understood it) it's just Anathema and PT playing that night.

cheers
Gavin
Oh just PT and Anathema? Great! Thought there where three bands playing. I'm planning a trip to Italy (as I need to get out for a bit) and I love Tuscany so I'm seeing if I can combine the concert and catch you guys there (as I need my annual dose of PT and you guys are not sheduled for the Netherlands this year :( )

Good Day, Gavin...

I have some questions regarding your pre-performance rituals.... When I play I try to eat a meal 2-3 hours pre-show so that it can settle and Im at peak energy..what is your schedule like? Also, how early does your tech/crew arrive and how long does it take to set up/tune your rig?
Love all your work, Gavin, youre a true inspiration to my playing....

Cheers!

Best,
F

Hi Gavin; I've recently been going through some of your work with my teacher. It's certainly giving me a flogging! I've got a quick question if you don't mind:

Is it possible to get a hold of some of the backing tracks you've used for PASIC, Drummerlive, MD fest etc? Specifically, I'd love to get my hands on drumless versions of Slippin' Away or the Sound of Muzak. I'm not entirely familiar yet with your written work; so if I could buy them with a book or similar that'd be fantastic. If they're not available for purchase, I promise I'll buy all your books if you put some tracks on the net for free, haha.

Sorry if it's already been asked, I've been through the first 70 odd pages of this thread but can't remember seeing it.

It should have been somewhere in those 70 pages... I've read on here that he does not 'give away' backing tracks. Especially ones he had to pay someone to write... Just enjoy them as is, it's about as close to getting them as you're going to get. Just thought I'd let ya know.

It should have been somewhere in those 70 pages... I've read on here that he does not 'give away' backing tracks. Especially ones he had to pay someone to write... Just enjoy them as is, it's about as close to getting them as you're going to get. Just thought I'd let ya know.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I assume that means it's not possible to buy them anywhere either?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I assume that means it's not possible to buy them anywhere either?

As already mentioned by Gavin, "Sound of Muzak" is available as Drum-Playalong (excl. vocals) produced by the German drum magazine "Drumheads!!". As the original issue is sold out, a reasonable alternative is to buy one of their special issues called "Best of Drumheads!! Vol. 1" in which it is contained (the other songs are American Idiot, Rosanna, Duality, Stratus, Hand Of Blood, Hand In Hand, Self Esteem). In fact, that´s what I did a while ago. It also includes full transcriptions and some come comments on concepts and approaches. Of course... it´s all German ;-) .

Yes... it´s a lot of money for one track if you don´t like the other ones but it´s good quality and I definitely enjoy it quite a lot - unfortunately it´s the only PT playalong that I own :-( . However, as Gavin does not own the rights, it´s not possible for him to issue some more which I can perfectly understand.

Hi Gavin,

I have since 6 or 7 weeks problems with my fibres. I hope fibres is right, because i only know the word from leo.org ;). Did you ever have problems with your arms or muscles? I warm myself always up. But the problem is, i don't know how I can begin again, because if i play to fast or to much, the pain will come back. Is there a way to avoid that my arms hurts again?

Thank you,

Martin

hi Gavin

Can you kindly tell us when PT will be coming back to India?
Can you have any drum clinics here in India??.....people love u here.... :)

bye

Hi PTEmil

In a video I found of you on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAP4fxPSu0&NR=1) there are some thing I find particulary impressive. Not gonna bother you with them all though, just have to ask you... At, more or less, exactly 1:54 you show some astonishing moves on the hi-hat, what are you doing there? Is it double strokes or something else?

The hi hat is getting pedaled every third 16th and in between that the right hand plays two 32nds on the hi hat and the left hand plays two 32nds on the snare drum.

On a sidenote, will it be possible to meet you at the RAH gig to get a drumstick signed?

Sorry but I can't promise to meet anyone at a concert.

Hi Drummin_Dan

I also wrote my interpretation of what happens at 0:18 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2kFrD1eWI. I was writing out the rhythm for the guitar player to follow. it's pretty cut up but it made sense to me because it followed what the ride pattern was doing. I'm sure it's write but I'm curious if there's an easier way to write it out. Rather, it looks right to me.

Nice job but I would say that you've made bars 11-22 harder than they need be. It fits into 4/4. 22-37 you've heard it in from an illusion point of view - but that's fine - it makes sense. The second bar of the B section is 3/4 (and that's the same in every four bar cycle of the B section).

Hi zfzgg

Is it possible to get a hold of some of the backing tracks you've used for PASIC, Drummerlive, MD fest etc? Specifically, I'd love to get my hands on drumless versions of Slippin' Away or the Sound of Muzak. I'm not entirely familiar yet with your written work; so if I could buy them with a book or similar that'd be fantastic.

If you buy my most recent book with Terry Branam "Rhythmic Designs" there are some playalongs in that package that I played at Drummerlive and MD Fest. All the other playalongs are not available - sorry.

Hi Santibanks

Oh just PT and Anathema? Great! Thought there where three bands playing.

I understood there was only two...but it's possible that there's another support as well - I don't know for sure.

Hi Florian

I have some questions regarding your pre-performance rituals.... When I play I try to eat a meal 2-3 hours pre-show so that it can settle and Im at peak energy..what is your schedule like? Also, how early does your tech/crew arrive and how long does it take to set up/tune your rig?

Yes I normally do the same thing with the pre show eating. The crew typically get into the venue around 11am. The drums are usually set up by about 2pm. I think it only takes about 20 minutes to set up my set.

Hi WuGGu

I have since 6 or 7 weeks problems with my fibres. I hope fibres is right, because i only know the word from leo.org ;). Did you ever have problems with your arms or muscles? I warm myself always up. But the problem is, i don't know how I can begin again, because if i play to fast or to much, the pain will come back. Is there a way to avoid that my arms hurts again?

Hmm sounds serious - I hope you've had professional medical advice. I haven't had what you describe (luckily for me).

By the way if anyone wants to join me over at facebook here it is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gavin-Harrison/96557593864

cheers
Gavin

Gavin, you've been with porcupine tree now (including the studio fill in for In Absentia) for coming up to 9 years here soon.

All the years with Porcupine Tree, has the psychedelic touch that has always remained with the band influenced your drumming?

Also, has Stevens thoughts on life mannerisms such as the topics on "Fear of a Blank Planet" and much more, rub off onto you in your day to day thinking?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi bhaskar

Can you kindly tell us when PT will be coming back to India?
Can you have any drum clinics here in India??.....people love u here.... :)

We have no plans to come back anytime soon. We had a great time there.

Hi Deathtoll

All the years with Porcupine Tree, has the psychedelic touch that has always remained with the band influenced your drumming?

No I don't think so.

Also, has Stevens thoughts on life mannerisms such as the topics on "Fear of a Blank Planet" and much more, rub off onto you in your day to day thinking?

I was already thinking about those topics years before the album.

cheers
Gavin

Back