Just ordered a Dualist anyone got one?

braincramp

Gold Member
I need a double pedal for my practice set at home, I use a double pedal just a cheap Pulse (but it seems to work as good as the IC I had that broke) at practice and gigging. My funds are limited so instead of buying another $100 double pedal my local GC has a like new dualist that they just dropped the price on down to $109. I figure I got nothing to lose getting a 350 pedal for less then 1/2 price and since I dont use a double too much with our set list it may work out well and become my new giggiing pedal. Anyone have any experience love/hate this pedal I know it seems a little gimmicky but I'll take any advantage I can get if it works for me.

GET IT! I've had a Duallist for more than 4 years and I love it. That is a great price. Assuming you have good right foot skills, you will be able to do great things with a Duallist and it's just a lot of fun. I can crank out 240 bpm with no problem with just one foot, leaving my left foot free for the hihat or foot percussion. Freaky shuffles and 32nd note phrasings will also emerge, if you have good right foot skills. It also makes a very good single pedal.

I need double-beater capability about 5 percent of the time, maybe even less as 16th notes on the bass usually annoys other musicians. For that limited need, the Duallist is perfect. Plus, it's just hell of fun to play - I think we forget about the fun aspect.

Personally, I think the whole double pedal craze is gimmicky, brought on by manufacturers wanting to sell more gear to people who will seldom find a use for it. To me, The Duallist is a perfect response to the craze.

i had 2 single/double beater pedals a little over a year ago. good idea but poorly executed in my opinion. no matter how i adjusted them they always felt bouncy and rubbery, probably from the straps they use. they were big and bulky although not very heavy. after a few weeks of trying to use them i finally gave up and went back to the iron cobras. and for the price i would much rather get something else, hell save a little bit more and get a pair of axis pedals.

no offense to deathmetalconga but he's the only person i've seen that actually likes them, maybe with a lot of time to get used to them they may be great but for me the more i used them the more i hated them. to me just another bad gimmick that needs to be scrapped or taken completely back to the drawing board......

oh yeah, i got my iron cobra power glide singles for $112 shipped from rainbow guitars off ebay, got my doubles for $308 shipped from the same guys, both brand new......

There's only one flaw that I can see in the Dualist:

The lack of double bass flams. Which are the thunderclaps of drumset techniques.

There's only one flaw that I can see in the Dualist:

The lack of double bass flams. Which are the thunderclaps of drumset techniques.

You can do these with The Duallist. It takes practice and a good right foot. And they can't do everything double pedals do. But for most of us, who only occasionally need to whip out double-beater capability, the Duallist is more than enough.

Check out my set's thread below for pics.

WOW!!! nice set and I see you are utilizing your left foot, the Duallist for this seems great. Here is the thread for the pedal at GC it really looks brand new the beaters look mint!! I too dont use a double that much need it on Good Times Bad Times, Crazy Bitch and a couple others and some endings... I'm pretty good with my right foot can do both songs listed above with one foot and no one except maybe a drummer would notice... but there so much easier with 2. Like I said its gonna start out as my home practice set pedal and hopefully evolve to my gigging one. I just couldn't pass on it for 109. Yes drumming has to be FUN for me since I still have my day job. I'm 48 and when I play a gig I feel 21.

WOW!!! nice set and I see you are utilizing your left foot, the Duallist for this seems great. Here is the thread for the pedal at GC it really looks brand new the beaters look mint!! I too dont use a double that much need it on Good Times Bad Times, Crazy Bitch and a couple others and some endings... I'm pretty good with my right foot can do both songs listed above with one foot and no one except maybe a drummer would notice... but there so much easier with 2. Like I said its gonna start out as my home practice set pedal and hopefully evolve to my gigging one. I just couldn't pass on it for 109. Yes drumming has to be FUN for me since I still have my day job. I'm 48 and when I play a gig I feel 21.

I use my left foot for four things: Hats, wood block, tambourine, variable pitch drum. Using it for another bass drum pedal just seems like a waste, especially when The Duallist lets me do most things with one foot that people need two feet for.

It is incredible fun to pump out 240+ bpm with one foot and play patterns over it. Buy it, and you will be in for a very fun adventure!

Can't resist posting this gem of a video. Not sure if it's a dualist, but it's the same idea right?

Actually, I don't much care if it is since I just love to crack up watching this guy! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! I love it! XD

Can't resist posting this gem of a video. Not sure if it's a dualist, but it's the same idea right?

Actually, I don't much care if it is since I just love to crack up watching this guy! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! I love it! XD

Man, that was funny! I wouldn't mind having a dualist to mess around with.

I use my left foot for four things: Hats, wood block, tambourine, variable pitch drum. Using it for another bass drum pedal just seems like a waste, especially when The Duallist lets me do most things with one foot that people need two feet for.

It is incredible fun to pump out 240+ bpm with one foot and play patterns over it. Buy it, and you will be in for a very fun adventure!

Its a done deal should be sitting on my stoop when I get home from work tonight..will try to give a quick review... I have a couple cheap single pedals laying around and would love to get the blocks and bells off the rack to make room for more cymbals!!!

got it real disappointed it may have to go back...no clamp for bass rim? they said they will order me one and send it and 2nd cant get to go into single mode its double all the time...its a real shame because after 5 minutes of playing in double mode I was faster then I've ever been could do so much with this thing if it just worked right. It seems there is a locking mechanism on bottom that holds in single mode that disengages as soon as I start playing the second beater starts beating a little and then is up to full speed in a matter of seconds...ugh!!

I've played a Duallist a couple times and I thought it was very interesting and had lots of potentials. My beef with it was its lack of. It was plastic-y feeling and squishy and I didn't enjoy it's single pedal action very much. I'd certainly consider using it like how Thomas Lang uses the Giant Step equivalent with a wood block or cowbell.

In the meantime, I'll stick with my Axis longboards... I can play just as fast as that video that was just posted with just two beaters, as long as it is a firmly bouncing surface and hard beaters.

got it real disappointed it may have to go back...no clamp for bass rim? they said they will order me one and send it and 2nd cant get to go into single mode its double all the time...its a real shame because after 5 minutes of playing in double mode I was faster then I've ever been could do so much with this thing if it just worked right. It seems there is a locking mechanism on bottom that holds in single mode that disengages as soon as I start playing the second beater starts beating a little and then is up to full speed in a matter of seconds...ugh!!

It should have a bass drum hoop clamp, like any pedal. If it's missing, that's not a good thing.

It switches between single and dual mode. Use your heel to step on the switch on the left to lock it into single mode, then use your heel to step on the switch on the right to put it into double. You should be able to look up the instructions at www.theduallist.com.

I just love to crack up watching this guy! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! I love it! XD

That's hysterical!!! What a great vid for a giggle. Next time I'm tempted to take myself too seriously, I'm gonna play that and remind myself.

Definitely something NQR about that bloke though......I'd be concerned if he showed up on the doorstep and wanted to take my daughter out. :)

It should have a bass drum hoop clamp, like any pedal. If it's missing, that's not a good thing.

It switches between single and dual mode. Use your heel to step on the switch on the left to lock it into single mode, then use your heel to step on the switch on the right to put it into double. You should be able to look up the instructions at www.theduallist.com.

Thanks, I'll check it out...I saw a video last night that shows when you put in single the left beater drops back 6"..and when you change to double it moves ahead to the drum head...mine stays in the same place going from single to double or vice verca ..It looks like the teardrop shaped thing in the middle should cause this to happen...I really hope it just an adjustment thing...I was blasting last night with thing (even without clamp) bar none did the best solo I've ever done with this thing last night

Thanks, I'll check it out...I saw a video last night that shows when you put in single the left beater drops back 6"..and when you change to double it moves ahead to the drum head...mine stays in the same place going from single to double or vice verca ..It looks like the teardrop shaped thing in the middle should cause this to happen...I really hope it just an adjustment thing...I was blasting last night with thing (even without clamp) bar none did the best solo I've ever done with this thing last night

Cool! It is a kick in the pants to play 16ths or crazy shuffles under a solo. Try playing 16th notes with the right foot and the Duallist translates them into 32nds! You can get some amazing brrraps and flams with the thing. It adds a whole dimension of fun and there is nothing at all wrong with fun.

You really need to check the adjustment, however. It should be able to go in and out of dual mode very, very easily. There may be a reason you got it so cheap. Too bad we don't live close or I could inspect yours; you really need someone experienced to figure it out. I got mine very inexpensively from the manufacturer as a return. It was in near-mint condition and cost just a couple of hundred.

Dualist looks cool. I won't be buying one, but looks cool.

Back