Blue Man Group

drummer girl09

Do you think these guys are drummers or just percussionists? I heard that in order to be a Blue Man, you have to be in the drum line or something like that. If they aren't considered drummers, the back ground drummers are awesome. They even sound really good live. So what do you think about them? Haven't seen a thread about the BMG, so I will attempt to start one.

Saw them on television some time ago. Big time hype for non-drumming "trying to be hip"
audience. B.S.

Saw them on television some time ago. Big time hype for non-drumming "trying to be hip"
audience. B.S.

Seamed like the backing band were pretty good musicians though. Saw them twice in Las Vegas. They are a lot of fun. I dont think they have degrees in Percussion from Berklee, maybe Theater though.

I do not know if they have a degree in music or played in a drumline, however they perform well & have rhythm. I recently saw Carmine Appice's Slamm and I thought that was
AWESOME! It's a cross between BMG & stomp. Lots of sound w/ drum sets, drums & percussion with colours. In Carmine's Slamm - I would say 90% of that group are drummers.

I do not know if they have a degree in music or played in a drumline, however they perform well & have rhythm. I recently saw Carmine Appice's Slamm and I thought that was
AWESOME! It's a cross between BMG & stomp. Lots of sound w/ drum sets, drums & percussion with colours. In Carmine's Slamm - I would say 90% of that group are drummers.

Sounds pretty cool. Even if they don't have a degree, I think it's a pretty creative idea of using PVC pipes. And you arn't impressed by that, listen to the drummers in the back, they are really fast considering on how much stuff they need to get into one part of the song for a fill and such.

I saw the Blue Man Group play tonight. The party atmosphere and clowning meant that some edgy percussion-based music slipped through the net ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQdWd_vdoM

You don't see it in the video but there are cages at the top corners above the stage with a band, including drummer and percussionist who are the dominant musicians. This show definitely gives the drummer some!

Highly recommended for any drummers if the show comes your way.

I saw the Blue Man Group play tonight. The party atmosphere and clowning meant that some edgy percussion-based music slipped through the net ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQdWd_vdoM

You don't see it in the video but there are cages at the top corners above the stage with a band, including drummer and percussionist who are the dominant musicians. This show definitely gives the drummer some!

Highly recommended for any drummers if the show comes your way.

They came here about a year ago. I didn't get to see them, but the local news did a big story on them. They went and did a clinic at the high school I graduated from, without costumes, and they were tearing up the drumset. Only showed about a minute of it, but the guy playing definitely had more than just some chops.

I saw Blue Man a few years ago and loved the show and music. Great playing and production, and apparently not much sequencing or tracks, the 3 guys and the band are doing the bulk of the playing.

Bermuda

Jasper, when you see the level of production going on you'll see why there's a fair charge (there are plenty more expensive).

... they were tearing up the drumset. Only showed about a minute of it, but the guy playing definitely had more than just some chops.

Yep, definitely the impression I had.

I saw Blue Man a few years ago and loved the show and music. Great playing and production, and apparently not much sequencing or tracks, the 3 guys and the band are doing the bulk of the playing.

Yes, and the sequenced and unsequenced parts seemed pretty seamless. A couple of times drum parts that I thought were sequenced were being played. Killer players.

I've seen BMG a couple of times, the original group in Chicago and one in Vegas. It is a great show. They now have several groups of different Blue Men that do the show all over the country.

I really like the music. They have an album called Audio. I have the DVD-Audio version so I can listen to it in 5.1 surround. It's pretty awesome to turn the lights down, get a drink, and sit and listen for a while.

I worked (as venue audio tech) on a show by one of the touring groups a few months ago. They are playing live, but are following a click track to stay synced with the video that makes up much of the show.

It runs like most Broadway tours do: Their stage manager gives the cue for the show to start, their techs push a couple of buttons, then they step back and babysit the gear from that point on.

It is an awesome show. I was lucky enough to see it three times in a row, and it doesn't get old. Some of the lighting/inflatables technology they are using is incredible. The live band is wicked (drummer, percussionist, Stick/bassist, and guitarist who also plays some odd homemade autoharp thing). Plus all of the custom PVC percussion is heavily miced, and when you see the show that's what you are actually hearing.

(Bermuda will be in my venue in October. I can't wait.)

Back