Finding the right sticks (width, length, weight, etc)

7Tekku

Hello. I'm having a hard time finding the right pair of sticks. Currently I'm rocking the Mike Mangini signature sticks. The weight and the extra length is perfect, although it's a little too skinny of a stick for me.

I've tried 5B's and 2B's in the past and they were alright. The 5B's were a little too skinny and the 2B's were a little too fat, and both too short. So I guess what I'm looking for is a stick with a diameter between the 5B's and the 2B's, but with the length (and weight) of the Mangini's. About 16.5" in length and like a .610" diameter.

I've done some research myself, and closest sticks/the only sticks that I could really find were the Pro-Mark 409 Jimmy Degrasso signature sticks or the Vic Firth HD9's. I haven't really looked into Vater or Zildjian sticks as I am unfamiliar with the brands (outside of the Mangini's of course).

So if you guys have any recommendations or insight on this, that would be just dandy! Thanks in advance.

zildjain dave grohl sigs maybe?

Nailed it. The Grohl signatures are longer than a 5B, therefore heavier. They're also a little fatter, I think (at least around the neck). They're extremely durable - I had a pair that I smashed the crap out of for many, many rehearsals and gigs.... Took me 6 months to break, a normal 5A takes maybe a month of intense playing.

I too wanted something between a 2B and 5B and settled on both VF SD9 and HD9s. No idea how either compares to those Mangini signatures since they're apparently birch.

I know you said you haven't looked at Vater sticks, but there's a few models that match the specs you mentioned.
Power 5B- 16.5" length, .610" diameter, barrel tip

55BB- 16.5" length, .605" diameter, acorn tip

XD5B- 16.5" length, .610" diameter, barrel tip, and a different taper than the Power 5B.

My local Guitar Center stocks the Power 5B, so that might be the easiest model to get your hands on without ordering online. Good luck in finding your new favorite stick.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll have to try them out.

@soupy How are you liking those two pairs of sticks? And yeah, the Magini's are laminated birch, which are pretty darn durable, and heavy too.

@gish The vater sticks, I once had a few pairs of their sticks and they had a flat, butt end of the stick, instead of a normal, round end. I think it was on the Chad Smith sigs and maybe something else. It was actually pretty annoying to hold because I switch my grip a lot based on what I'm playing, lol. But do you know if that is on all of the models, or just a select few?

Well, I bought 6 pairs of each when Musicians Friend had Vic Firths on sale a few months ago. Pretty happy still. HD9s are thicker than 5Bs and a lot more nimble than 2Bs, so they do what I want. I usually use the SD9s on my e-kit, the HD9s on the real drums. I like ball tips as well, and while these aren't ball tips, they give a pretty decent sound so I'm reasonably happy there as well.

I have a few Vater sticks in the pile and none have a square end, they're rounded off.

I'm not familiar with Mangini sticks but I felt the same about my vater power 5b's.. Perfect in every way (theyre also extra long) except I found them a bit skinny. I'm now on Virgil Donati sticks, I swear it's just a coincidence that he's my favorite drummer. My hands have been changing since I started working on technique, these sticks felt a bit big before but now that I've relaxed my hands a bit they're perfect, good for all dynamics.

I've got those chad smith ones too, they're nice, just too short since I've discovered long sticks.

i was playing the mangini sticks... loved the size, weight and legnth, but for some reason it felt like it just wasn't balanced right... i played that stick for about a year. i think that stick was the most durable stick i've ever played... they just never broke!

playing vf 2b's at the moment, thats what i played before manginis, but i'm having wrist issues whilst playing long (3~4 set) gigs.... i get to the end of the gig and my wrists almost cramp up, so i'm thinking of grabbing some stanton moore signature sticks -- same length as a 2b (16 1/4") but much thinner like a 5a.

my old drum teacher was looking for a balance between 5b and 2bs, he came along the Rod Morgenstein signatures... unfortunatly they're not the 16 1/2" length you're looking for, however have you tried the kenny arnoff signatures? they're 16 1/2" length, however .595 diameter - which is closer to a 5b... i suppose it's worth a try!

Have you tried the Vic Firth SD1, it's a big long stick (L = 16 3/8" | Dia. = .635"), but because it's maple it's fairly lightweight, if you compare the size of an SD9 (L = 16 1/4" | Dia. = .610"), it's a bit bigger and a beefier feel.

18032-vic_firth_sd1_american_custom_erable_general.png

If it's fat and long you want but not too heavy then it has to be Abe Laboriel by Vic Firth. 17 inches long and 0.63 diameter

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I also got some help from my friend at my local dealer and I found a lot of options as well. I wish I could just go out and try them all out now! Although I have to burn through the rest of my sticks

Back