Cobus Potgieter

personally ive seen almost every video cobus potgieter has posted up on youtube and just by the number of respones that each video gets (some over now 1mil) he will definately get some recognition by that.
as far as his playing goes, one of the top consistant drummers on youtube now IMO. hand style is very relaxed and is very energetic and calm while playing. 2 qualities that are very respectable.
very good drummer indeed

He is my favourite drummer at the moment. His playing style is exactly like mine...just he is better :(

Big fan of Cobus and really looking forward to seeing his UK debut at the Jobeky Custom
Drum Festival on October 31st.

Robin Guy who I saw earlier this year, is also playing and trust me, if you like Cobus and
haven't seen Robin's unique style of drumming, you are in for a treat if you are going!

Lots more going on as well, details are here.

Last edited:
Simply put, Cobus is amazing.

Not only do basically every single one of his covers top the original, but his style is damn near perfect. The way he physically looks as he plays is controleld yet relaxed, hes always smiling, and records almost everything on his own.
He completley dominates the world of youtube drummers for a good reason.

The kid has got something in him most of us don't. I've been trying to copy alot of what he does for the past year or two now, and while I have successfully figured out almost everythign that he does, its jsut not the same.

Edit-- its honeslty kind of ridiculous that cobus doesn't have his own page on the head Drummerworld home page or something. He's got way more talent and bigger fan base than a good chunk of the drummers listed.

Cobus. Overrated?

I hear loads of people younger than me that are just starting drummers recommending me

1) Travis Barker
2) Tre Cool
3) Cobus

So I was like "Who's this Cobus kid?" so I go onto YouTube and check him about, and all I could think was "All these songs are fairly simple pop-punk anyways?"
I also hear he has a book and dvd's etc. etc. but I don't see the hype about him... I think he's overrated. Either that, or I'm missing something.

Anyone care to explain Cobus?
Thanks

Re: Cobus. Overrated?

Don't want to pile on negativity but a definite 'meh' from me.

EDIT: Agree with Matt about Dom Famularo; even though Famularo is practically certifiable!

The way I look at guys who are doing the instructional route is this: they're just passing along information. When I taught that's basically what I was doing. Whether or not they're big because they play with somebody else is another issue. I think it helps if they are in the public eye for more than just teaching, though, otherwise you wouldn't spot them in the first place. I think the only guy who has really done the educational world good, without ever having played with any big names or famous for his own music is Dom Famularo.

Cobus is cool. He's doing what he can to perpetuate his career, and that's good. Not everyone has to like him, and that's even cooler. You can find what you want from the people you like if you look hard enough.

Overrated? I think yes. But so are other drummers, too. But what's "overrated" but an individual opinion? So just pick the drummers you're interested in and ignore the rest. One benefit of Cobus is he's inspiring lots of (mostly younger) drummers to progress - or to inspire people to get into drumming in the first place. And in this regard he might be doing better than many pros - making people start learning an instrument.

You could argue that any drummer is overrated. Or the instrument itself. Who really needs drums when they've got drum machines? Or pots and pans.

I agree with Arky, that it's just an opinion. It depends on what you're looking for in a drummer that makes it acceptable in your eyes for a mass amount of people to like them I suppose.

As for Cobus, I don't see anything wrong with him. He's a perfectly functional drummer (a little bit over the top in a band setting in my opinion though), but I definitely won't be paying 60 or so dollars for his videos.

(Disclaimer: That's me playing the Devil's Advocate. I don't use pots and pans or a drum machine so please don't destroy the thread with your anger.)

I think they're all very good at what they do and they're probably some of the best at what they do.

My style is very different from all three of them.
I'm not a chops beast like Cobus, but I'm not a slammer like Travis and Tre.
I'm pretty much a groove player.
I do a lot of Hip-Hop to Country to Blues to singer/ songwriter to folk type of stuff.
I do think as a young drummer ....they would be a good starting point.

I think you can grab anything useful from any drummer. It can be technique, a groove, equipment, set up, brand of pants, hairstyle, color coordination, anything.

I don't get it myself. His claim to fame is he's never taken a lesson, never played a gig, never recorded with a band, but he's going to teach you how to play drums by showing you how to be self taught, which is an oxymoron into itself.

But despite that the fact I don't get it, or see the point, and I can't figure out why anyone would want to follow him or buy his stuff, I have to agree with Arky in that he is inspiring people to get into drumming, and that is not a bad thing.

I don't get it myself. His claim to fame is he's never taken a lesson, never played a gig, never recorded with a band, but he's going to teach you how to play drums by showing you how to be self taught, which is an oxymoron into itself.

But despite that the fact I don't get it, or see the point, and I can't figure out why anyone would want to follow him or buy his stuff, I have to agree with Arky in that he is inspiring people to get into drumming, and that is not a bad thing.

I'd rather buy Jojo Mayers Secret Weapons or a Steve Gadd DVD or something... Something where I'll learn from a REAL pro who's had experience in every catergory and looked up to by loads of people.

I still don't understand Cobus... I still think he's had a lesson before and I find it shocking that he's never played with people before, I mean if you're going to do a DVD or something atleast play with people first.

Apparently he plays in a worship band at his church.

His claim to fame is pretty much staying with today's kinda style....he's a youtube drummer ...lots of flash and chops. That's his schick...it's his deal.

I've only watched him a couple of times and I liked his playing. I also think that Jared Falk does a great job.

The way I look at guys who are doing the instructional route is this: they're just passing along information. When I taught that's basically what I was doing. Whether or not they're big because they play with somebody else is another issue. I think it helps if they are in the public eye for more than just teaching, though, otherwise you wouldn't spot them in the first place. I think the only guy who has really done the educational world good, without ever having played with any big names or famous for his own music is Dom Famularo.

Cobus is cool. He's doing what he can to perpetuate his career, and that's good. Not everyone has to like him, and that's even cooler. You can find what you want from the people you like if you look hard enough.

Way to go Bo, you've got a way to put things into perspective.

Back