Alex Van Halen

ALEX VAN HALEN, HIS SOLO'S AND DRUMMING ARE AMAZING
LOVE HIS GROOVES, FILLS AND MULTIBLE STYLES HE PUTS IN HIS PLAYING.
HES MY ALL TIME FAVORITE, AND THE BEST DRUMMER ON THE
PLANET HE'S A TRUE MASTER ON THE DRUMS.

alex is a true genius on the drums he my favorate player love his style
grooves and fills there no one like him and never will be he the best.

jimreed said:
alex is a true genius on the drums he my favorate player love his style
grooves and fills there no one like him and never will be he the best.

I think you are overexaggerating (sp), he is a good drummer, I'm not saying he's not, but I wouldn't say he is the best drummer.

He's real good. I agree on Hot for Teacher... its a pretty wicked job he'd done. I love his sets... they're so... HUGE.

Bonzo said:
HAHAHAHA!!! Tommy Lee? Tico Torres? Bobby Blotzer? For cryin' out loud! You need to get out and see some drummers, my friend!

I meant Rock drummers at that time. I did not say all drummers. And yes as far as rock drumming goes, he was not as good as any of those guys. His playing was always sloppy to me live.

AleX VaN Halen is a awesome drummer one of the best hands down,

and my personal favorate and mentor. very unique sounds and styles

his playing ability is at the top period.

hes much much better than john bonham who i find to be very over rated.

AleX VaN Halen is the main man.

alex vanhalen is by far a better drummer than john bonham.i love alex's drumming
he's great to watch and he's always doing somthing differnt. his style and drumming
ability is to me by far the best he's a true drummer.

ps. alex's drum solo's on youtube .com

Alex Van Halen is the man. never herd or seen anyone play like him.hes the best of the best. he's an awesome drummer and musican a true legend.

Why is it that Alex Van Halen threads always get a lot of posters with one or two posts always claiming that he's God? It happened on the old forum, it happens here. Really annoying.

big alex v-h awesome drummer hes the reason why i play today awesome beats - grooves hes always inventing never boring hes simply great one of the greatest of alltime.

I think Alex is a great drummer. I like what he did on hot for teacher, that song is what makes him stand out from the other drummers. I also agree with you guys when some of you say that hes one of the best of all time.

I am going to add my two cents in on this discussion. Alex Van Halen is an awesome drummer. Everybody already knows this. If anybody says that AVH is not that good, well then they are an idiot. AVH has always been an awesome drummer. He was very good as far back as Van Halen's debut albut in 1978. Sure, there are better drummers out there. There are more technical drummers out there than him, but I'm sure that he could match better drummers note for note I'm guessing. I'm sure that AVH could match Peart note for note if he wanted to. I'll list why AVH is an awesome drummer: very funky and syncopated, good double bass work, good ride cymbal work, good high hat work, good cowbell work, very good and cool fills(maybe some of the best in rock music) and he's got the Ginger Baker Factor. In my opinion he sounds alot like Baker with the very smooth, impossible to do fills and rudiments. And he had the awesome snare sound back in the day. So that is why AVH is an awesome drummer. He might be overrated a little bit, but he's still pretty f' ing good. If I was one fourth as good as him, I would be very happy. Take care. Later.

what fills has alex van halen done that are impossible? good drummer but come on...anything he does that sounds impossible IS impossible. don't tell me that hot for teacher isn't overdubbed up the rear end and that stupid snare drum roll at the end of his solos is an electronic joke after about 35 seconds. excellent solid drummer with solid grooves and an AWESOME and UNMISTAKEABLEsnare drum sound but pretty far from the top.

meancarlene said:
what fills has alex van halen done that are impossible? good drummer but come on...anything he does that sounds impossible IS impossible. don't tell me that hot for teacher isn't overdubbed up the rear end and that stupid snare drum roll at the end of his solos is an electronic joke after about 35 seconds. excellent solid drummer with solid grooves and an AWESOME and UNMISTAKEABLEsnare drum sound but pretty far from the top.

Your not the biggest fan of Alex or Neil Peart. Two of my top three favorite drummers and biggest influences. My favorite ( not the BEST in the world, thats a huge statment ) drummer has always been Gregg Bissonette. To say " The Top" what do you mean? In your oppinion or drummers that are more "Technical". Most people know how versitle Gregg is and that he is a great all around player. But there are still drummers that can do what he cant in some styles. Does not mean I would like him any less.
Just curious what "The Top" means to you.

Last edited:
Hey meancarlene, how's it going? I didn't actually mean that Alex Van Halen's fills are impossible to do, although he has done some difficult fills, and I don't mean "Hot For Teacher" or anything from his drum solos. I just meant that some of his fills are very, very musical like Ginger Baker's. Some of his fills are impossible to play for a crappy drummer like myself. The thing that alot of people overlook in AVH's playing are his syncopation and funkiness. AVH is a very, very rhythmic and musical drummer. I'm sure that he can play Jazz and Latin music very well because of his rhythmness. Take care. Later.

Does anyone know what kind of drum heads Alex used in the studio during the early VH1 days?

and yeah, that guy is right. His stuff is not the easiest to play!

Back