Just got a "Drum House". LOOK!

Here's my feedback:

You are extremely lucky. I currently don't have 24/7 access to my drums, and they're a 30-minute drive away. So it has reached a point where I don't touch them or see them unless it's time to rehearse with the band.

If I had the same thing that you have, then that is where the band would rehearse.

Here's my feedback:

You are extremely lucky. I currently don't have 24/7 access to my drums, and they're a 30-minute drive away. So it has reached a point where I don't touch them or see them unless it's time to rehearse with the band.

If I had the same thing that you have, then that is where the band would rehearse.

This is where the band is going to rehearse! Monday actually....
I don't have 24/7 access either LOL My parents take this away as a consequence...

This is where the band is going to rehearse! Monday actually....
I don't have 24/7 access either LOL My parents take this away as a consequence...
Yeah, but how about when you're not being disciplined/punished? Do you otherwise have 24/7 access? ;)

Either way, though: you're extremely lucky. Plus, load-in and load-out is easy since it's all on the same level! No stairs!

Yeah, but how about when you're not being disciplined/punished? Do you otherwise have 24/7 access? ;)

Either way, though: you're extremely lucky. Plus, load-in and load-out is easy since it's all on the same level! No stairs!

Well yeah..... My neighbors moved out last month (I guess they heard who was moving in).
I sometimes sneak out late at night (12-3 AM) and play! I actually have a HUGE blister on my right index finger from just getting back! I wrapped it in duct tape and kept going! (I know I'm hardcore) LOL.
It is all easy to to load in and out! It took me 10 minutes to turn around my kit and kept on playing! When I first moved in it only took 30 minutes to do it!

Well yeah..... My neighbors moved out last month (I guess they heard who was moving in).
I sometimes sneak out late at night (12-3 AM) and play! I actually have a HUGE blister on my right index finger from just getting back! I wrapped it in duct tape and kept going! (I know I'm hardcore) LOL.
It is all easy to to load in and out! It took me 10 minutes to turn around my kit and kept on playing! When I first moved in it only took 30 minutes to do it!

Blisters on your fingers are not a good sign, regardless of how much you're playing.

It means you are gripping far, far too hard. I got blisters too until I learned to actually relax. Relaxed playing is far more powerful, too.

Go and take a look at the 'technique' forum. There are dozens of threads there that explain it far better than I can.

Well I'm about to head there right now!
I'll try playing relaxed. I play matched grip, how should I hold them relaxed while not dropping sticks?
The secret is to learn by dealing with the occasionally-dropped stick. It's frustrating, but it's also one excellent way to learn because you will begin to feel what it takes to hold the sticks at that fine line between hanging on and dropping it. After a while, it'll be completely automatic, and you won't have to think about it. Your playing will improve quite noticeably, and everything will feel easier.

Jim Chapin explains it really well: imagine that you're holding a very young (fledgling) bird. If you were holding one, then you wouldn't want to grip it too tightly or else it would be hurt, but you also don't want to hold it too loosely or else it'll fly away. So, you hold it as loose as possible while still not letting it fly away. So, it's literally a gentle grip and this allows the stick to do most of the work. When you're doing it right, it feels like magic: you make the motion, and the stick does it for you.

Jim also talks about avoiding the "iron thumb". There's a tendency for all of us to grip too tightly with the thumb, but that tightens up way too much of the forearm which makes it more difficult to play because the hands are not relaxed.

Actually, check out these videos:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.php

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Jim_Chapin.html

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=jim+chapin&aq=f&sourceid=Mozilla-search (YouTube search results for "jim chapin")

The goal is actually simple: to have all of your drumming be as effortless as possible. That's why the greatest drummers make it look easy; it is because when you're doing it right, it is easy. ;)

Besides, it will also allow you to continue drumming until you're a very old man (just like Jim Chapin). I mean, it's your choice: you can continue playing the way you're playing today only to wear out and end up in pain at the same age as most professional athletes (35 to 45 years old), or you can work on your technique now so that you basically last forever.

The secret is to learn by dealing with the occasionally-dropped stick. It's frustrating, but it's also one excellent way to learn because you will begin to feel what it takes to hold the sticks at that fine line between hanging on and dropping it. After a while, it'll be completely automatic, and you won't have to think about it. Your playing will improve quite noticeably, and everything will feel easier.

Jim Chapin explains it really well: imagine that you're holding a very young (fledgling) bird. If you were holding one, then you wouldn't want to grip it too tightly or else it would be hurt, but you also don't want to hold it too loosely or else it'll fly away. So, you hold it as loose as possible while still not letting it fly away. So, it's literally a gentle grip and this allows the stick to do most of the work. When you're doing it right, it feels like magic: you make the motion, and the stick does it for you.

Jim also talks about avoiding the "iron thumb". There's a tendency for all of us to grip too tightly with the thumb, but that tightens up way too much of the forearm which makes it more difficult to play because the hands are not relaxed.

Actually, check out these videos:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/domfamularo.php

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Jim_Chapin.html

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=jim+chapin&aq=f&sourceid=Mozilla-search (YouTube search results for "jim chapin")

The goal is actually simple: to have all of your drumming be as effortless as possible. That's why the greatest drummers make it look easy; it is because when you're doing it right, it is easy. ;)

Besides, it will also allow you to continue drumming until you're a very old man (just like Jim Chapin). I mean, it's your choice: you can continue playing the way you're playing today only to wear out and end up in pain at the same age as most professional athletes (35 to 45 years old), or you can work on your technique now so that you basically last forever.

I like the part about the bird! I still had to tape up when I went there today. But none of my other fingers started to hurt. I think I may be getting the hang of this! I still need about another 3 weeks to get accustomed to it.
By the way I have why right index and middle finger taped. My left middle, and pinky finger.
Where am I gripping hard judging by these areas?

The neighbors called the police.
My parents are fed up with me and my drumming, so I'm grounded from even touching drumsticks for a while.
^^^This isn't the whole story. There's a lot of stuff I don't feel like sharing.
********Just so you know, My parents don't support me playing, and hate my music.

Worst parents ever. :(

It sounds to me like it's time to begin a quest to either find a practice studio complex that has an affordable room for rent, or find a band that already has a room rented somewhere. Or better yet, find a band who's practicing somewhere that doesn't cost any money to use - such as one of the bandmembers' basements.

Worst parents ever. :(

It sounds to me like it's time to begin a quest to either find a practice studio complex that has an affordable room for rent, or find a band that already has a room rented somewhere. Or better yet, find a band who's practicing somewhere that doesn't cost any money to use - such as one of the bandmembers' basements.

I'm in a band, the members live 1 hour away. So that's difficult.
I'm thinking of leaving, because we never play together anymore...

Well I am about 1.5-2.5 feet away from the wall. I do have plans to rotate the kit in the future though! Bass sounds like crap!
My cymbals are high to some, but I cannot get comfy to lowered cymbals. I have them tilted toward me at a 30 degree angle (approximately). I hit them from the top with glancing blows and a "swish/sweep".
I don't think they are in too much danger honestly (They are Z Customs too)!

Z Customs are renowned to break quicker than A Customs, that's a fact. I know someone who's had 5 Z3 crashes in the space of 4 months.

Back