I got some budget mics.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've been asking questions about mics and I bought some today. They are used and I've not heard them yet. Equation Alpha series 8 pc. kit. 4 tom/snare mics, 1 kick, and 3 overheads. G.C. told me it was a 7 pc. but when I took them home there was another overhead tucked in the foam w/o a clip. I looked on line and there is an 8 pc. kit offered. At first I thought it was an extra. I paid 150. for them. I've read that they are real good for the price. Like most budget kits though, the kick mic is not quite as good as the others. My band is looking for a new guitarist right now, so I don't when I'll get to gig with them.

39a120dc-4c42-4c06-95d4-3c4251240854_zps445968e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]][/IMG]][/IMG]

Cool. Let us know what they are like when you use them. Good price on 8 mic's even if the bass drum mic is only OK.

I talked to one of the sound guys at my show yesterday, and they had the 604's.
He said they were good quality, and the clips are a very cool thing about them.
They sounded pretty good, but seemed kinda bass-y sounding.

I only need a 3 more to do my whole kit, so I'l probably go with a couple more 57's.
That's my least expensive option really. They just work for "everything" you'd need to mic too, which is good if we need something mic'd on the fly, and the house mic's my kit--which is 99% the case for me anyway.

I like 57's a lot. I thought about getting used ones, around $50. ea. I really want small mics though. I've used 57's a lot. They are very tough, and provide good sound. I see that Shure makes a drum clip for them now. That can cut down on the clutter of stands. In the 80's I played a 10 Pc. kit. When we played big places or out-side, my kit was a big ol' mess of stands.

I’m stoked. I tried these budget mics today, and I think they are great. I really don’t know what they cost new. I paid 150 used. I think they’re budget mics. I don’t know much about micing or sound, so they aren’t tweeked out, just a basic sound. I’ve got an old Peavey 7 Ch. Mixer w/o phantom power. So I could not try the condensers. I am very happy with the results. I had the overall Eq. set in a V shape.( I don’t know how else to describe it) The same way I listen to my stereo. The 3 Eq’s on ea. Ch. were all flat, except the kick. I had the low turned up a little past 0. I think I could have deadened my fl. Tom a little, or turned it down, but I think they will sound good when our sound man is at the helm. My band has good equipment, and better sound man capabilities than I do. So when we play our next gig, I’ll know just how good these mics are. Here’s a 1 min. video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiA9roaTRg

Great start!

Play with the mic placement...I'll hock my video on your thread...but gives you an idea of how you will get very different sounds by how you aim the mic.

I think you're on the right path and you're right a good soundman will make them sing. The bass drum doesn't sound bad at all...usually the bad mic in these kits...this sounds very acceptable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64wFX6Anm3U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUm4AfNi6yI8Nlzetnw-EFkw

Thanks SIMMSDN. Good video. I really expected the kick to be, not so good. I do have high quality drums though. Yamaha BCA. The 10 and 12 have new Aquarian Super 2's The kick has a very old S.K.1 maybe over 20yr. and the 14 Fl.tom's got a Remo Ambassador X. Also I'm only using 1 mic between the 2 rack toms. I usually do that live.

Lefty, drums sound great in the video...............................$150 for a decent mic setup is dirt cheap................great score

Back