Mike Portnoy

He got those directly from the photographer pre publication. Let's just say Bernhard is well connected.

I think of Mike Portnoy like this: If Lars Ulrich and Neil Peart were to run at one-another and melded together, you would get Mike Portnoy. Portnoy has the technical skills of Neil Peart (although I feel Peart is a better drummer) and the spirit and face-making of Lars Ulrich (but Portnoy loves bootleg Dream Theatre items).

- Marc

Yeah I just started listening to Dream Theater. WOW. You have to give him credit for actually using that big of a drum set and sounding good. Lol anyone know how much that monster of a kit costs?

osamasgoat5467 said:
Yeah I just started listening to Dream Theater. WOW. You have to give him credit for actually using that big of a drum set and sounding good. Lol anyone know how much that monster of a kit costs?

Hmm...that was an idea to check out...let me try! I'll take a normal Tama Straclassic Maple (the albino finish isnt for sale) in the exact sizes he use, emperor heads, black dot heads, signature snares, cymbals and

sorry, it would've been to big job, ill leave it for some else :p

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know how Mike plays the Siamese Monster? I can't even imagine what he does to play fills and stuff on it. Does anyone know?

- Marc

I saw him on this 20th anniversary tour. It was great. He played it like it was just an extension of his body. He was all over the kit with minimal effort.

On a side note, I just received the Liquid Drum Theater DVDs.

He talks about playing on a smaller kit! It is still pretty huge. One bass drum, 3 toms, 2 timbales, a double pedal and probably 10 to 12 cymbals and effects along with 2 hihats!

So, that is a 8 piece (I include an extra bass drum since he uses a double pedal) and tons of cymbals.

When this seems like a smaller kit, you know the other kits are monsters!

mikei said:
I saw him on this 20th anniversary tour. It was great. He played it like it was just an extension of his body. He was all over the kit with minimal effort.

On a side note, I just received the Liquid Drum Theater DVDs.

He talks about playing on a smaller kit! It is still pretty huge. One bass drum, 3 toms, 2 timbales, a double pedal and probably 10 to 12 cymbals and effects along with 2 hihats!

So, that is a 8 piece (I include an extra bass drum since he uses a double pedal) and tons of cymbals.

When this seems like a smaller kit, you know the other kits are monsters!

Sounds cool! I know he must have to get up and move to play some stuff; how did he manage that?

- Marc

Mike Portnoy is, and always will be, a great drummer. Maybe not the most diversified of drummers (he could benefit from learning double-stroke rolls for example) but he has a style all his own.

He was, and still is, a great inspiration for me. As is Neil Peart, Steve Smith, and Virgil Donati.

My two cents on it.

tambian89 said:
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know how Mike plays the Siamese Monster? I can't even imagine what he does to play fills and stuff on it. Does anyone know?

- Marc

Good Question! :)

(By the way is this serious or sarcastic, if you pardon my asking?). I honestly don't know how he does it. There's all these people who have big kits and think that they're all that, but can't even make use of their monsters. Portnoy, though, has mastered his kit beyond belief. Everything he does just flows so well on that kit. Truly Amazing!

DTportnoyDT said:
Good Question! :)

(By the way is this serious or sarcastic, if you pardon my asking?). I honestly don't know how he does it. There's all these people who have big kits and think that they're all that, but can't even make use of their monsters. Portnoy, though, has mastered his kit beyond belief. Everything he does just flows so well on that kit. Truly Amazing!

Trust me, I was serious....I imagine that he flows well. Personally, I think the Siamese Monster is TOO big, there is just too much. Then again, I don't have nearly as much skill as Mike Portnoy.

- Marc

you think portnoy cud create a "donate a cymbal" kind of thing? where he gives cymbals to me and other drummers who are to lazy and cheap and broke to buy em?

that would be my dream lol.

In the field of proggresive drumming, I feel Mike has actually done a lot. Even though yes, there are drummers out there of whom could be more inspiring to others (maybe this isn't true, if not, leave a post), you have to admit that there are many things that mike does that is unique to his music. They are:
-his double-bassing technique (it's not about the speak, its about how he can play more than just single rolls on his feet). if you listen to some of his recordings (such as Scenes from a Memory: Strange Deja Vu) you can here he plays a beat containing the bass drum playing flams. This is why I like his double bass technique.
-all of his cymbal work, he can play time on two or more cymbals
-finally, his odd time playing; not many drummers are able to do what he does (IMO)
Even if you absolutely hate Dream Theater (like my older brother), you still have to admit that thesee guys are at least talented.
PS. I like Liquid Tension Experiment, OSI is a novelty(not really a 'Mike' band), and Transatlantic is OK, not one of my favorites (though Mike does play great)

I saw Dream Theater at Radio City Music Hall in April. The concert is going to be released on DVD sometime later, you might want to check it out. i have one spoiler; during the second half of the show, there is an actual orchestra playing alongside the band (for .......don't want spoil it) Check it out when it comes out.

tambian89 said:
Trust me, I was serious....I imagine that he flows well. Personally, I think the Siamese Monster is TOO big, there is just too much. Then again, I don't have nearly as much skill as Mike Portnoy.

- Marc

Actually, the Siamese Monster isnt really ONE big kit (same as his new Albino Monster), but its like a 2 in 1 package. But he doesnt do rolls and stuff over the entire kit, he plays one song at that side, and then he switches side to play another song.
Though I think I've seen him during Metropolis, Instrumedley and Octavarium, that he starts a roll on the for instance right side, and then he raises up, while countinuing the roll, and ends it at the left side.

on the subject of too large of a drumkit....if you see your kitas a full composite instrument..?
then nothing is too much. you wouldnt ask a guitarist to remove strings that aparticular song doesnt require would you??
i myself play a full octave shell kit and can appreciate where portneyis coming fromin his expression....
besides .... doesnt a five piece get a little boring on occasion..LOL

Jamie S said:
on the subject of too large of a drumkit....if you see your kitas a full composite instrument..?
then nothing is too much. you wouldnt ask a guitarist to remove strings that aparticular song doesnt require would you??
i myself play a full octave shell kit and can appreciate where portneyis coming fromin his expression....
besides .... doesnt a five piece get a little boring on occasion..LOL

For me (and a lot of other drummers), a five piece doesn't get boring , because there are so many possibilities with it. You don't have to have a 20 piece kit to make great music.

But if you look at it musically, there's nothing wrong with a big kit.

Back