Foot technique/pedals in motion tracked air-drumming

Sipaliwini

Toddmc was asking about foot technique in Aerodrums in the 2014 NAMM edrums thread and I promised a video, but the thread is old so I'm posting it here:

http://aerodrums.com/2014/05/aerodrums-video-foot-technique-and-pedal-alternatives/

Wow, taking air drumming to the next level alright.
Very cool for drummers who don't have any room for a kit. I can see how it works but my main issue with it (apart from the absence of an actual kit to look at/ drool over) is the bass drum pedals (ie is it possible to do heel toe with this setup)?

Sorry we're not demoing heel-toe specifically, we didn't have a drummer proficient in it at hand. But the video shows how you can track a real kick pedal, so you could definitely capture heel-toe this way, if nothing else works.

Yes we didn't have the resources before launch to provide more variety while keeping the standard high. Aerodrums is a strange beast in that it can capture your sticking handedness. The Natural Drum Kit sample library has different samples for right and left hand so it is a good match. It contains enough pieces to make biggish rock and jazz kits.

If you want more choice, you have two options: You can trigger any drum sampler (e.g. Superior Drummer, SSD4 etc) via MIDI. Or you can point Aerodrums to a directory of samples recorded at different hit speeds/handedness/hihat openness and it will let you add that new piece to your kit and place it where you want it.

Back