Joe Morello

My first post here so fittingly will talk about my greatest "famous" drumming influence - Joe Morello: Truly a legend and one of the great examples of the positive influence of drumming - exemplifying that great technique and great musicality can go "hand in hand" (literally). Just listening to "the man" was a drum lesson all by itself!

Drumming (and music) was in my family - first my older brother (also a piano scholar and later, accomplished guitarist) played so there was a drum set in the house - learned drumming by playing (for hours!) along with Gene Krupa on one of the great recordings - Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert (get it if it's not in your collection allready). We both were greatly influenced by our uncle Dick (Poole) - remember vividly him introducing me to Joe Morello's incredible drumming* in the basement of my grandfolks home MANY years ago with the cut "Sounds of the Loop" on Brubeck's "Jazz Impressions of the USA" (one of the best Brubeck albums - rec. 1956 - GET IT!). Sixteenths on a single bass drum while maintaining precise stick control on the snare - incredible!!

Then a few years later when "Take Five" became such a monster hit, I was truly hooked! Played along with the Time Out, etc. albums endlessly (it seemed) - my playing style is HEAVILY influenced by "the Man" as you would no doubt guess if you heard me play. Joe showed that technique is the foundation; musicality comes from the soul! What a great experience it had to have been to be playing with other equally great legends in Brubeck's group.

Got to meet Joe briefly at one of the Ludwig clinics he put on years ago (went with my uncle) - a great experience - man, if I only had it on tape!

* Also the machine precise drumming of Frank Arsenault (? - not sure of his name; was national rudiment champion for several years I believe) as well as Jim Chapin's book.

Last edited:
Yes, his name was Frank Arsenault. He was truly a superb drummer. He taught us to play on a matress or pillow to develop our stick control, advise that really paid off for me.

A little trivia about Joe Morello. Once he was just warming up and goofing around with some different time signatures. Dave Brubeck wandered by and asked him what he was up to. Oh, just playing around with some 5/4 time. Brubeck was so impressed that he asked Joe to get together with Paul Desmond and work something up. And that's how Take 5 came about.

I've studied with Joe for a total of about 20 lessons. He is the sweetest man and his wife is also a wonderful person. It's hard to believe how great he really is until you see it up close.

I've never seen anyone do the Buddy triplet left hand thing (RLRLLL) as fast or as effortlessly as Joe. I've never seen hands so relaxed and mature in their development. They are the textbook definiton of proper hand position.

Look at some of his students: Gottlieb, Famularo, Art Verdi, Tiger Bill. Every one of those guys has an effortlessly fast single stroke roll. It's a testimony to his teaching skill.

Funny thing is, he was never a big fan of Moeller. He actually went to Moeller for a lesson after he was already with Brubeck and apparently it didn't go well. Moeller wanted to break down his technique entirely and rebuild it and Joe would have none of it. Moeller's system really shines at higher dynamic levels and Joe didn't play loud so he really had no use for it. Remember, Joe didn't need to use Moeller for speed, he used the Gladstone method for that. (He studied with both Stone and Gladstone)

Joe does employ a whip for louder accents, he just doesn't like to call it part of the Moeller "technique". I suspect it's because Joe was so extraordinarily gifted that he just fell right into it naturally and so he saw it as no big deal. Sometimes the greats don't realize how great they really are. (admittedly, a rare occurence)

Here's one of the first experiences I ever had with him: I was playing on the pad and he was across the room. Without looking over he says "Kid, you've got to get yourself some better sticks." I asked what he meant and he told we that they weren't pitch paired and the left one sounded heavier and was probably warped. He was totally right!!! I was blown away (and not for the last time).

As far as classical snare, he can play the Cirone book FROM MEMORY!!! I have never witnessed such virtuosic musical expression on a snare drum. It became a living breathing animal in his hands that he caressed and loved. I felt so humbled by his depth of knowledge, skill and experience. There are few people who can use technique for such a purely emotional statement.

IMO, he and Chapin are the greatest living proponent of proper hand technique. All of the greats today owe something to them.

I saw him at PAS event some years back along side Danny Gottlieb when I was like 13. He was just about going blind at the time, he needed help getting to his drums. I'm not trashing him right now, I'm telling you this because when he sat down on those drums, he was a GOD! I couldn't believe how amazing he was. I have never seen such amazing playing in my entire life. Joe Morello is one of the greatest drummers of all time. Not to mention a comedian. He said DW stands for DOESN'T WORK. (thought that was funny)

Well... I play drums for 10 years now and one particular thing i might say about Joe Morello, is that he is and will be (till the time that another one shows up - to difficult) the best Jazz Grover i ever heard... Far More Drums says it all, his Groove, his Sound, his touch.... everything is in its right place, every stroke, every note.... and if u listen well... he even Talk through is DrumKit - the end of the Solo (cause for me this music is an solo all around)...

Tam = Far
Tom = More
Tum = Drums

i can't stop listen to this piece all the time... pls comment

I had the pleasure of meeting the Great One when he visited England back in the early 1960s and have shaken the hand of God. At the time I was an aspiring jazz drummer and had high hopes of being even better. I attended one of Joe's clinics and watched every stroke played, heard every beat, hung on every word. I went away and knew in my heart of hearts that I would never aspire to be the great jazz drummer that I wanted to be. I went off and played in a Rock band for 15 years as well as just gigging around with various bands where and when I could. I tried to incorporate in my playing some of the tecniques that I had absorbed from watching and listening to Joe. Whenever I was talking to the audience who wanted to chat after each session I would tell them about Joe. I hope that I have been a good disciple for Joe over all these years. Sadly, I no longer play due to severe arthritis but this has not stopped my listening to Joe. The hairs on the back of my neck rise and my spine tingles as soon as I hear the opening bars of Take Five - I know what is coming! I have bored people over the years so much so that my nickname at time is Takefive!
Thanks for reading some of my thoughts - if only I could turn back the clock - we all say that though.
btw. I have in my collection a pair of sticks used by Joe - no, they are not for sale.....!

Not only is Joe an amazing player, he is very humble and a class act, one hell of a nice guy. Years ago, i wrote Joe a letter asking a question about his book "Master Studies."

To my surprise and delight , he responded with a two page letter with some excersises and page number references from the book and also reminded me to "come by" next time i was in his area. I have the entire letter framed in my drum room.

Wow - I too am ashamed about not including Joe on my fave list. His playing is incomparable. Maybe the reason he stays a little below the radar is because he is the consummate musician, and not just a 'drummer'. Not that any of the big guys (Elvin, Tony, Art, Max, ...name your favorites here) are lacking in any way as 'musicians', but Joe's skill, technique, just sheer mastery of his craft has never been what 'it' was about, those were simply tools that he used to express musical genius. He explores rhythmic ideas in ways that utilize space - where so many guys overwhelm you with frenetic notes and beats, Joe leaves air in the composition and every note he plays has meaning - it's beautiful and rare.

When I was in my teens, I told my teacher that I wanted to learn more about playing brushes - he said nothing, just disappeared for a minute and came back into the room with about 8 of Morello's albums, he handed them to me and told me that everything you could learn about using brushes could be found on those albums - end of lesson.

Reading this thread and seeing that Joe is still teaching makes me really want to figure out a way to meet and take some lessons from a someone who is a true living legend - it's a long commute from NC - but wow, maybe???

Wow - I too am ashamed about not including Joe on my fave list. His playing is incomparable. Maybe the reason he stays a little below the radar is because he is the consummate musician, and not just a 'drummer'. Not that any of the big guys (Elvin, Tony, Art, Max, ...name your favorites here) are lacking in any way as 'musicians', but Joe's skill, technique, just sheer mastery of his craft has never been what 'it' was about, those were simply tools that he used to express musical genius. He explores rhythmic ideas in ways that utilize space - where so many guys overwhelm you with frenetic notes and beats, Joe leaves air in the composition and every note he plays has meaning - it's beautiful and rare.

When I was in my teens, I told my teacher that I wanted to learn more about playing brushes - he said nothing, just disappeared for a minute and came back into the room with about 8 of Morello's albums, he handed them to me and told me that everything you could learn about using brushes could be found on those albums - end of lesson.

Reading this thread and seeing that Joe is still teaching makes me really want to figure out a way to meet and take some lessons from a someone who is a true living legend - it's a long commute from NC - but wow, maybe???

hi! i`m sanjievan,a jazz drummer.Joe Morello is my life time favourite drummer i really really love his style of playing because all of his drum solos are with very nice rhythem. i try to learn from joe morello and i think for the first vacation i`ll meet him.So guys please if you have his contact details please let me know.

Sanjievan said:
hi! i`m sanjievan,a jazz drummer.Joe Morello is my life time favourite drummer i really really love his style of playing because all of his drum solos are with very nice rhythem. i try to learn from joe morello and i think for the first vacation i`ll meet him.So guys please if you have his contact details please let me know.

He runs an ad in the back of MD every month. You can contact him from there.

Joe Morello - a wonderful person and an awesome drummer. He sits in the same camp as the other heavy weights of the drum world. ( Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers etc.) Most of his recordings were on Columbia label with Dave Brubeck, but he did others, Tal Farlow on Verve, Sal Salvadore, Gary Burton on RCA, Dick Schory on Ovation, and in later years under his own name on the DMP label.
For anyone who has not checked him out, do it !!!!! Incredible technique yet plays with great taste + sensitivity, along with beautiful brush playing and strong melodic sense. Quite a few of his solos also incorporate some great ostinato plating. I'm going to list some of my favorites of him, (one's that showcase him more) some of which might be a little more familiar, but I will also list a few more obscure items. I feel that any of these are worth checking out. The first few are still available on Cd but the others ( records) are out of print and are a little more difficult to obtain but are still around.
Cd "Time Out" - Elegant + Tasty solo on song "Take Five".
Cd "Time Further Out" - Great solo on "Far More Drums" 5/4 time, and beautiful brush solo on "Charles Matthew Hallelujah.
Cd "Gone With The Wind" - Great brush work throughout, lots of tasty drum breaks, but the song "Shortnin' Bread" is a stand out. One of the most melodic drum solos you will ever hear.
Cd "D.Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall" - Great cd with lots of spaces for for Joe to fill in, but the absolute hi-lite is " Castilian Drums " a 13 Min. song with about 10 mins. of it being a solo by Joe. It's incredible and mostly in 5/4 time, and on a 4 piece drum kit. Not to be missed.
Cd "Jazz Impressions of Japan " - Wonderful solo on " Osaka Blues". To me worth the Cd alone.
Cd "Countdown " and "Time Changes " - At present only available on Cd format in a boxed set from Columbia, but you can still find the records. Countdown is overall a very good record, and features a version of "Castilian Drums", the "Time Changes" issue has a track
"Shim Wha" which features an excellent 3/4 time drum solo.
These below are harder to find (out of print) but well worth looking for.
LP " Jazz Inpressions of the U.S.A. - Issued in Mono only. Great Great solo on a song
"Sounds of the Loop". Incredible left hand triplets and interplay between the snare and Toms. Done before the days of Multitracking, so the left hand triplets are not over dubbed.
Lp " Dave Brubeck Quartet in Europe" - Awesome solo on the song "Watusi Drums". This can be found once in a while on an Import Cd but is fairly rare. Of interest .....The LP version was issued in both mono + stereo. The LPs are identical, except for the track
"Watusi Drums". For some reason Columbia used a different version for the mono LP, and another version for the stereo. Both solo's are great, but you can certainly hear the difference.

LP " Jackpot " live from LasVegas - great extended solo on the song "Jackpot"
LP "Dave Brubeck Quartet Newport 1958" Can be found on an import CD but I'ts rare. The album is easier to find. The song " C Jam Blues" features a great drum solo.
LP "The Southern Scene" has a neat-melodic solo on "Deep in the heart of Texas " Very cool.
LP Dave Brubeck Quartet "The Riddle" A milder LP, but the song 'Swingin 'round' has a great brush solo on it. Just a great solo. So tasty.
LP 'It's About Time" by Joe Morello on RCA. A superb album by Joe with a big band and a quartet. Most of it was re-issued on a cd titled "Joe Morello" on RCA in 1989 but is now out of print.
LP "Dick Schory at Carnegie Hall" on Ovation records. a 2 lp set, Joe featured on one track 'Concerto for Jazz Drums'. A track well worth the LP it'self. A drum solo beyond
category !!!!
Also LPs by Gary Burton on RCA "New Vibe Man in Town" + Who is Gary Burton".
These are some of my favorites but does not cover all of his works. Wayne

I read in an MD article that Mr. Morello really wanted to be an orchestral drummer! One of his teachers (can't remember who) told him no, you don't see so good, try drumset ! His loss, our gain ! What a giant !!!

I've been a Morello fan for years. When I was a senior in high school I attended a clinic he did sponsored by the local musicians union. I was in their student jazz band and got to meet him and play his drums! I was in heaven. Later when I heard a John Bonham (Led Zep) solo I thought it sounded like a Morello impression. Bonham was obviously influenced by Morello like a lot of us! Far More Drums from Time Further Out is one the greatest drum solos of all time.

Last edited:
Sanjievan said:

He has a web site. http://www.joemorello.net/

He will respond.

Joe Morello is a great man in every way.

Hi all.
Another thing about Joe. He is one of the nicest people that you could ever wish to be associated with. For example. After he had recorded his CD Going Places - Great cover pic btw. Joe astride a Harley....! - I contacted the recording company to see if they would be making any more recordings. They said there was nothing planned so I asked them to pass on to Joe all my best wishes and thanks for all his recordings. They had my address on their mailing list and some time later I received in the post a letter from Joe thanking me for all my kind words - I was blown away just thinking that he took time out to acknowledge my comment made to the studio. Some time later my local jazz club here in the UK was experiencing difficulty with the local authority and faced possible closure and a petition was hastily drawn up and many big names fro the jazz world signed it. I contacted Joe and asked if he would consider signing the petition. I later received an Email back to say that he has "signed" the petition and sent a message of good luck to the club management. The man is truly a "star" - if you can use such a word about a legend.

Back