Cross stick sound?

I'm looking to find an alternative to the cross stick, but getting the same sound (just LOUDER) without doing an actual cross stick.

I have an LP Jam block (the red one, the low one) but its too low, and its tone isnt similar enough to a nice cross stick.

Does anyone have an idea of what would work? Another block perhaps (different brand or pitch)?

I'm looking to find an alternative to the cross stick, but getting the same sound (just LOUDER) without doing an actual cross stick.

I have an LP Jam block (the red one, the low one) but its too low, and its tone isnt similar enough to a nice cross stick.

Does anyone have an idea of what would work? Another block perhaps (different brand or pitch)?

The blue JAM BLOCK works

Agree with lesismore...the LP blue block is higher pitched...listen to the soundbyte on the LP site...the Pearl Ash blocks look and sound great as well. Get out and try them out to see what fits your need. I still prefer the sound of a true cross-stick on my snare though. Played just right they really create a nice dynamic in softer parts of tunes.

Attachments

• lp_jam_blocks.jpg
    lp_jam_blocks.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,192
  • pearl blocks ash.jpg
    pearl blocks ash.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,200
+1 on the blue block, I've used it both in the studio and live and it's articulate and cuts well.

There are two ways to do it:

1) mount it somewhere within stick's reach, and just play it on the backbeats.

2) mount it on an LP Claw attached to the snare's bottom rim, so the block sits a little above the batter hoop, and play as a normal cross-stick. Instead of the stick landing on the top hoop, it lands on the block and delivers a crisp, more natural snare-y sound.

Either way, it's a unique and cool sound that's not a standard rim click, but works as well or better.

Bermuda

I've also used the Stealth block, it falls between the red and blue blocks in pitch, and is really loud.

I love the LP "red" and "blue" blocks. I like the lower pitch of the red on most occasions, but the blue is also very useful too. I was listening to some of the Pearl wood blocks that are pictured below, and I think they also have a fantastic sound. One thing about the Pearl blocks is that if the store has several to choose from, try them all out. They'll all sound a bit different.

Dennis

I choose between 5 options.

1 use the rim of my snare (diecast)

2 use the tim of my floor (diecast)

3 use my Yamaha Groove Wedge for that woody warm sound.

4 use my LP anniversary high pitched block (works always)
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=Zm8fEnJTRvg

5 use my Yamaha DTXM12 multipad (a dozen of different clicks, works always to)

Depending on the song I choose one of the above (or multiple)

Back