Please, show me your "jazz" kit... or small kit...

phil_qc

Hi !

I just order my new kit... Waiting is killing me !!
Please, show me your small kits or jazz kit, bop kit, by the
time I wait ; )

I should get my new drum by the end of the week...
(sonor 3007 white sparkles, 18" bd, 10" tom, 14" ft with 14" snare)

...till I got mine, here is a pic of my Sonor 2005 in it's
"small kit" config : )

Philippe

sonorjq2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have a Bop kit, but is that a 24" Light ride? How do you like it for bop style music?

Tom

Tiny Jazz Kit. 16" bass drum.
I'm kinda hidden behind the guitar player (Dave Wilkinson from Fast 3; look 'em up on iTunes), but you get the idea.
Here ya go...
IMG_3583.jpg

...and, yes, that's a stripper pole in front of the sax player.

What do you mean ' for now'? Whats wrong with this kit?

Nothing wrong with it put a few points,
1) It's part of a larger kit
2) I wanted a kit with an 18" bass drum (this one is 20")
3) I've got a drum problem

Sorry, I don't have a Bop kit, but is that a 24" Light ride? How do you like it for bop style music?

Tom
I love the 24" light ride, it's great for bebop and jazz. I've played it with 9 piece bands and
trios. It's very controllable.

Wayne

...here's mine.

18x16,14x14,12x8, 14x6. Since this puicture was taken, I added a rail mount and cymbal mount to eliminate the need for the extra cymbal stand, and snare stand.

Barry

My babies, I still have yet to take a picture that included cymbals and stands :-\

Attachments

• img246.jpg
    img246.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 6,604
  • img242.jpg
    img242.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 6,846
Here`s my current set-up.

20x18" bass drum
12x06" tom
14x12" floor tom
14x5.5" snare drum

14" Istanbul Agop Turk Hi-Hat
21" Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis Ride (2 rivets)
22" Istanbul Agop Signature Ride

100_1589.jpg

A custom made kit (www.cube-drums.de) will arrive eventually. It`s gonna consist of a 18x14" bass drum, 12x08" tom and a 14x14" floor tom. A additional snare drum will be built later.

Karl

My jazz kit is a Gretsch Catalina Club sizes 26, 13, 16, 18. Great for that early stuff. I have one of those Gibraltar/Dunnett kits to turn that 18" tom into a bass as well which works fine, but I just can't stand the sound of a small kick drum. Typically I just take my 20" Zildjian "Vintage" ride (they just got discontinued a year ago) 21" Sweet Ride and 14" Armand hi-hats. Cowbells, woodblocks are also common items and occasionally a splash 8". I know the great fun that comes from really small drums and being able to transport them without issue, but personally I don't care for the sound. Now there are a lot of drummers I like that use such things, i.e. Jeff Hamilton, Peter Erskine, Max Roach but I still don't like the bop kits. My dream kit is actually a Gene Krupa styled Radio King set. My other set at home is a Mapex Pro-M kit 22,10,12,14,16 all suspended toms. I used this before I bought the Gretsch to gig with, but despite the smaller drums, it actually takes up more room and is harder to set-up. The two kits are really opposites in sound which is nice. One big and warm, and the other punchy with a lot more tone options.

...here's mine again.

This is a more current pic showing the rail mount cymbal arm, sans riser.

barry

I have no pictures because I am slowly getting it together. I found an ad on Craigs list, some guy was looking for Pearl tom mounting hardware and said he has stuff to trade.

So I traded 3 Pearl tom mounts, on Pearl triple clamp and an nice old TAMA / Camco pedal. Here is what I got in return.

1 - 10" Rogers Holiday tom
1 - 20" Rogers Holiday bass drum / with spurs
1 - 14" 70s Ludwig floor tom
1- SwivelMatic tom mount

I also grabbed a rogers Holiday 12" tom off ebay.

I will most likely replace the floor tom with a Rogers. I will then recover all of them to match.

It will not be a collectors kit but it will certainly be a great players kit when I am done.

Here is my 4 piece Ludwig CS Customs

22"x18" bass drum
12"x10" mounted tom
16"x16" floor tom
6.5x14" snare drum

Cymbals: Zildjian ZBT

14"hihats
16" crash
20" rock ride
20" medium ride

Aquarian Jack Dejohnnette Signature heads on all drums.

Attachments

• newdrumpics 001.jpg
    newdrumpics 001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 6,283
  • newdrumpics 004.jpg
    newdrumpics 004.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6,250
Here's my 16" floor tom converted as a bass drum using the Gibraltar / Dunnett R-Class conversion kit which I received the day I took the pictures. Toms are 10" & 13", my Acrolite w/ my custom rimclick wedge and Istanbul Mehmet 13" hats and 21" Custom dry ride.

I need to get a 16" fiberskyn amb as reso though.

100_1886.jpg

100_1890.jpg

here's mine ... a (now ubiquitous) Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Great drums for the price with classic vibe & so easy to get around!!

12 x 8 rack tom
14 x 14 floor tom
18 x 14 kick drum
13 x 5.5 Highwood Snare with wood hoops (Rosewood/Birch ply ... very nice indeed!)

on the second picture, that's my maple Premier Modern Classic snare ... the flush based dw 6000 hardware sits really nicely with the kit too :)

Attachments

• southport with highwood reduced.jpg
    southport with highwood reduced.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 6,205
  • Be-Bop heavenREDUCED.jpg
    Be-Bop heavenREDUCED.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 6,241
Back