Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek. I have been doing your endurance and coordination (the ten minute ones) exercices for 2 months with great results. Would you recommend them for developing speed in addition to endurance, or are there some other exercices you would recommend gaining for speed. I am content with where my hands are, but I would like to get my feet on par. I do realize foot speed comes gradually over time. Would you consider going from 130bpm to 150bpm (for 2mins+) in 3 months good progress? Time isn't an issue, I practice 4-8hrs a day normally. I know you are so much more then a double bass guy, but who better to ask? =) Thanks for your time.

*Edit* I'll leave the question up if you would like to respond to it. I did some research and I think all answers I have and more are in your book. I honestly think more than anything I'm struggling with balance and need to develop more muscles and control in my lower back and hips. Time to pony up some cash and get the book.

Haha...yeah, the book is GREAT for this stuff. But, like I always say..."speed ONLY comes from playing fast." And, by "speed".... I mean the type of speed required to play Extreme Metal.
You'll never get there....if you don't try to push those tempos out.

That said....anyone can push out fast notes for a few measures...not many can do it for 32 bars at a time. That's where those endurance exercises come into play.

I've come up with a good analogy to compare drummers wanting to achieve these goals...in relation to a real life situation...
Here goes...
You're driving down the interstate and your car runs out of gas just 3/4 of a mile to the exit.
What are your options?
Here are 2...
1. Push your car to the exit and get gas. You can then "relax", get a soda and catch your breath before return on your journey.
2. You sit and wait for someone to stop and help you. You "relax" and wait....maybe "stick your thumb out" to stop someone who can assist you, etc....
Will someone stop? Will you get the "help" you need?
By the time this happens......the guy that chooses option 1....is likely already back on his journey....ahead of the game.

I see so many drummers asking for advise and direction.....rather than just doing it.
The ones who wait on direction....are the one's who are always behind.

Remember that... when thinking about physical principles like this.

Cheers,
D.

Haha...yeah, the book is GREAT for this stuff. But, like I always say..."speed ONLY comes from playing fast." And, by "speed".... I mean the type of speed required to play Extreme Metal.

That said....anyone can push out fast notes for a few measures...not many can do it for 32 bars at a time. That's where those endurance exercises come into play.

I've come up with a good analogy to compare drummers wanting to achieve these goals...in relation to a real life situation...
Here goes...
You're driving down the interstate and your car runs out of gas just 3/4 of a mile to the exit.
What are your options?
Here are 2...
1. Push your car to the exit and get gas. You can then "relax", get a soda and catch your breath before return on your journey.
2. You sit and wait for someone to stop and help you. You "relax" and wait....maybe "stick your thumb out" to stop someone who can assist you, etc....
By the time this happens......the guy that chooses option 1....is likely already back on his journey....ahead of the game.

I see so many drummers asking for advise and direction.....rather than just doing it.

Cheers,
D.

Awesome. Thanks for getting back to me on that. Very helpful.

Dale...it was good meeting you as well.

I'm actually based in Florida....So yes, Namm next year....or, I've got some clinics coming up this year...some in TX, I believe.
I'll keep you posted. Would like to hang again.

Cheers,
D.
Actually I am based in New York City. Like my friend Matt Thompson & Vinnie Paul, I guess I thought all you metal guys lived in TX. Ha! Either way, I will be in touch for sure. I'll try to see if FLA is on this year's tour. We hit Gainesville, Tallahassee, the usual college town circuit when it is that supports Indie rock. Thanks for chatting.

---------------------------

For all you metal guys too, be sure to check out my friend from my hometown and King Diamond drummer Matt Thompson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0hDuNNwoaA Love that kid! Like Derek he's quite an eclectic player too. http://www.mattthompsondrums.com/

Here goes...
What are your options?
Here are 2...

Cheers,
D.

Wow....that's an awesome analogy.

I just want to post to say that I got your book and that it's more help than I thought was possible.

Honestly....thanks a million!

hey derek,
i think i remember reading somewhere where you said that you would not be able to keep up the level of playing that you are at now for much longer. if that is what you said what did you mean?

hey derek,
i think i remember reading somewhere where you said that you would not be able to keep up the level of playing that you are at now for much longer. if that is what you said what did you mean?

No that's not what I meant. Playing this style is easier now than it ever has been...in fact.
What I said was......because I haven't been playing 16th at 250bpm for 1 1/2 hours a night... for 6 weeks that....my endurance is not what it used to be.
It was harder at the time to keep the tempos up..... as I wasn't doing it a lot.
That was an old statement and since I've been playing consistently with Serpents Rise....Keeping those fast tempos..... is cake.

Cheers,
D.

Derek,

Firstly, I think you're so freaking awesome! You kick some serious butt!

I have a question. Did you ever learn jazz? My drum teacher right now is trying to get me to play jazz, but it's not working out for me. We've been at it since August. I understand why he wants me to learn jazz, but I just don't think it's worth it. I prefer to play rock, metal, punk, alternative, and funk from time to time.

Derek,

Firstly, I think you're so freaking awesome! You kick some serious butt!

Why, thank you! I try.
Haha.

I have a question. Did you ever learn jazz? My drum teacher right now is trying to get me to play jazz, but it's not working out for me. We've been at it since August. I understand why he wants me to learn jazz, but I just don't think it's worth it. I prefer to play rock, metal, punk, alternative, and funk from time to time.

Well, I started on Jazz, Big Band and Blues, so yes.
Jazz isn't something you just "learn" anyway.
What I've found most effective... when trying to "learn" different styles is.... to forget about the drumming and learn "the Music".
If you can learn what type of structure (it's different than Rock and Roll, or metal, punk, etc) you'll have an easier time getting the "music" down..... Then worry about the chops part of it.
It's like learning another language.
I think it's necessary to learn all the different styles of music because you never know what you'll get called to do.
You want to be able to play everything right?
If not.....you should. It will keep you working longer than the people who don't.

Cheers,
D.

Why, thank you! I try.
Haha.

Well, I started on Jazz, Big Band and Blues, so yes.
Jazz isn't something you just "learn" anyway.
What I've found most effective... when trying to "learn" different styles is.... to forget about the drumming and learn "the Music".
If you can learn what type of structure (it's different than Rock and Roll, or metal, punk, etc) you'll have an easier time getting the "music" down..... Then worry about the chops part of it.
It's like learning another language.
I think it's necessary to learn all the different styles of music because you never know what you'll get called to do.
You want to be able to play everything right?
If not.....you should. It will keep you working longer than the people who don't.

Cheers,
D.

Darn you for opening up my mind! I prided myself on being a close-minded butthole. lol. sarcasm. Seriously, thanks!

No that's not what I meant. Playing this style is easier now than it ever has been...in fact.
What I said was......because I haven't been playing 16th at 250bpm for 1 1/2 hours a night... for 6 weeks that....my endurance is not what it used to be.
It was harder at the time to keep the tempos up..... as I wasn't doing it a lot.
That was an old statement and since I've been playing consistently with Serpents Rise....Keeping those fast tempos..... is cake.

Cheers,
D.
thanks man for answering my question. i post on your forum as well. your easier to get here then there hahaha. got a few more questions for you if you dont mind.
i saw the clip of you again at the modern drummer fest last night on youtube. they have some good shots of your feet! are you still doing flatfoot when doing doubles bass there? i ask cause it looked like you were using just ankles.
as is im still going back and forth on which way i should play fast double bass, using mostly legs or just using ankles heels down for double bass playing. when im using all legs when i get about about 144 bpm doing 16ths i feel like im killing myself. im at about 133 bpm doing 16ths heels down and that is still hard. i can see the great potential heels down using just ankles has though. but as is im slow with it. a lot of people using the technique where they hold their heels just a little of the pedals and just use their ankles. that dons not work for me because it makes my back hurt to much. thats one of the reasons why i started looking into heels down.
i have heard people say that george kollias uses a combo of hip flexors and ankles at fast speeds. to me it looks like he is using just ankles at the fast speeds with his heels held just a little off the pedals. do you know what he is doing when play fast double bass? i ask because i have heard a number of people talk about a mix of ankles and legs at fast tempos. when im doing the flat foot my ankles are pivoting on the pedals but the main amount of motion is coming from my legs and hips.
also, do you have any plans to be doing any clinics on the east coast anytime soon? it would be cool to come out and check out your playing live. i was supposed to see you with hate eternal a few years ago but you guys were not able to make it. i heard some people say that you guys had van trouble in new york and thats why you could not make the show. im not sure if you would remember that but the show was supposed to be at a club called jaxx in springfield virginia.
thanks for the help

Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.

Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.
hahaha i do spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff. im glad your not sick of talking with me about it haha
im pretty sure of what way is gonna get me fast on my feet. but its just that im starting over in a way and i guess thats what has got me thinking about it so much. i just got to put in the time.
thanks for getting back to me again man!

being that im still pretty slow do you have any suggestions for what to do when i go to hook up with another band that wants like 200 bpm double bass and i cant do it yet? i figure that i will do something that i can do, but i have to admit that that worries me a bit.

You could play sixteenth note triplets instead of sixteenths, personally I'm not gonna join a fast metal band till I can play 200bpm consistently (not quite there yet!).

You could play sixteenth note triplets instead of sixteenths, personally I'm not gonna join a fast metal band till I can play 200bpm consistently (not quite there yet!).

Hmmmm maybe you mean 8th note triplets? (16th note triplets are faster than 16ths!)
And drummingman, maybe you could use your floor tom too for a single bass drum double bass drum effect (as in one pedal, double pedal sound). Or just not play constant double bass and play different figures separated through the beat.

Oh and Derek! such a Pro answering questions so often, thanks so much for your dedication and playing, you're a great influence to many people.

Fox.

being that im still pretty slow do you have any suggestions for what to do when i go to hook up with another band that wants like 200 bpm double bass and i cant do it yet? i figure that i will do something that i can do, but i have to admit that that worries me a bit.

I think you'll find that a lot of the time....these Musicians are just throwing numbers out there because, they hear others doing it.
9 times out of 10 they don't ever know what they are talking about.

Stop the numbers game and play.

D.

Hello everyone.
I have a cover spot in Sickdrummer Magazine this month.
Issue5_Cover_800.jpg

It's a web based Mag and you can get info here...
www.sickdrummer.com
Anyone can register for a free subscription in about 30 seconds.

Cheers,
D.

I think you'll find that a lot of the time....these Musicians are just throwing numbers out there because, they hear others doing it.
9 times out of 10 they don't ever know what they are talking about.

Stop the numbers game and play.

D.
thanks a lot man again for your thoughts. as is im actively looking for a band again, i just gotta find the members.

Back