What is the point, or meaning of life?

W

wy yung

Nick Bedford just said something that made me think about this subject in the practice thread. I may have missed the point of life. So I'd like to know what you guys and girls think the point or meaning of life is?

Didn't Monty Python explain this subject in a movie back in the seventies?

wy yung, I think the answer varies from person to person. The meaning of life also has a temporal element in that it changes for that person depending upon what stage of life he/she is living.

For me, I was crazy about drumming and performing 30 years ago. Then it was mountaineering. Then I was focused on finishing graduate school. Etc. All these things gave me meaning at some point in my life. Marriage and a daughter came along and they are now my focus. Going puddle jumping with my daughter gave great meaning to our lives last month.

Take care wy yung

Skulmoski

Attachments

• Jumping Rain Men 20%.jpg
    Jumping Rain Men 20%.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 215
It's whatever you want it to be. Whatever you wanna do, just do it. There's no hidden all-so-secret truth to life. Just...live, get the most out of it, that's what im tryna do.

As to that post, I wasn't directing it toward you, it was more of a general comment (I didn't notice who posted those hours).

The meaning of life for me is to make it big in the band I'm in (www.ludavico.com). Who knows if we will, who knows how far, but its a very enticing personal goal for me. I'd love to see the world through a band, seeing the sights and playing to new and foreign fans. Muse and Incubus are a huge inspiration on that front.

As far as drumming is concerned, I guess I'm a little like Dom Howard in my approach. I like to be solid and capable of playing and creating in the genres I like, but I don't require myself to be a virtuoso or a "drum legend". That's not my goal in drumming. My goal in drumming is to play music, and have heaps of fun in the process and share the music with people.

There is no meaning. Life just is.

That's how I feel. Why should it have a meaning? I killed a small cockroach today. What was the meaning of its life? It just did cockroach-y things just as we do human-y things.

A fair while ago I decided there were two things to do in life to be happy - take your fun where you find it and make yourself useful. I still get the blues at times but I've mellowed. The universe doesn't care if we're happy or not. Actually, hardly anyone does because everyone has their hands full trying to keep their own life working. Life is a full-time job - 24/7, no breaks! We just have to keep chipping away ...

wy yung, I think the answer varies from person to person. The meaning of life also has a temporal element in that it changes for that person depending upon what stage of life he/she is living.

For me, I was crazy about drumming and performing 30 years ago. Then it was mountaineering. Then I was focused on finishing graduate school. Etc. All these things gave me meaning at some point in my life. Marriage and a daughter came along and they are now my focus. Going puddle jumping with my daughter gave great meaning to our lives last month.

Take care wy yung

Skulmoski

This is a beautiful photo... I love it, and I'm saving it!

As far as the meaning of life... I'm pretty sure it has something to do with hitting on chicks in a drum forum.

clearly the answer is 42.

If one's own personal logic refuses to accept this universal rule, then life may mean anything one wishes it to be. This of course encompasses the answer nothing, in which case, or pollyanna's case, a massive cockroach is about to inflict the ultimate cosmic karma and wipe certain people out. (This may or may not include those with williams disease, and/or pyoderma gangeroserum!)

Good luck with such a question. Best not to think too hard about that.
As the Pirahana Brothers said...."My brain hurts!"

Have a good day.

Truly, the meaning of life is the meaning you give it.

I think a major reason why we're here is simply to recreate and thrive.

When you die, all those vacations, college degrees, all those days working, the last movie you saw....those are just experiences. Your kids and family and friends are the only thing that has any genuine meaning, so therefore, from where I'm sitting, the meaning of life is to have children, and support the people who are most important to you. Might as well have as much sex as you can get too.

Oh and play drums to keep yourself normal.

from where I'm sitting, the meaning of life is to have children, and support the people who are most important to you.

... Oh and play drums to keep yourself normal.

Larry, I have to disagree that the meaning of life is to procreate, otherwise my life has little meaning :) It's one thing to bring children into the world but those children need nurturing - waaay into their adulthood. So we nurture one another.

And if drumming has anything in common with normality I'll eat my hat :p

John, do you moonlight as a yogi by any chance. You are one sage dood

I think of all my ancestors, everyone who came before me, and made the sacrifices they

made, just so I could drink from the cup of life and play drums and be cool. I feel I owe it to them

to keep it going, so in the future one of my decendants will get to be cool too.

Polly, is it too late to donate eggs?

They wouldn't take my stuff, too old I was told.

(I'll show them!)

Wow, what wonderful posts. That little girl puddle jumping made my week!

Nick, you simply made me think and I appreciate it very much.

I just got back from having a walk around, shopping and doing some thinking. I think that as a person who has always been curious, the main reason I've put time into what I've done has been to find out what it is like to be good at it. I know what it's like to be a martial arts instructor and how it feels to spar and win tournaments. I know what it's like to have someone like George Lucas admire my modelling work. I know what it's like now to have some drum technique. I suppose a life spent satisfying curiosity isn't so bad. People have done far worse. Just look at Goebbels! Had he spent his time drumming, the world may have been a better place. :)

Polly, is it too late to donate eggs?

Only if they're free range. I won't touch cage eggs :)

I reckon the world has more than enough people (FAR more than enough!) so I'm happy just to enjoy pleasant relations with the humans already around.

Yep Wy, there are many, many worse pastimes than drumming.

Hey for the first time I got something right. Don't diss me. ;-)

Back