The smell of drums

I play a 2015 Ludwig Classic Maple kit and every time I take the heads off I get a big whiff of what I can only assume is a mixture of maple and glue. If they made it into a candle, I'd buy it. (grin)

Do other brands have such a smell? And if so, does it vary from company to company? I've also heard that vintage drums have a more musty odor and not the fresh glue smell of the newer drums. I wonder if this aging of the glue changes the sound.

I spent the whole of yesterday doing my monthly check up on my vintage drums. They are always stored inside in soft cases etc in best condition but im always paranoid due to age. So yesterday i got my old kit and my 2 oldest snares and once i had begun stripping the whole house smelt of old drums. It was LOVELY. By the end of the day i was covered in beeswax, lube and grease and also stunk like drums but it was so worth it :) Not so much for my partner who lives with me though....

I play a 2015 Ludwig Classic Maple kit and every time I take the heads off I get a big whiff of what I can only assume is a mixture of maple and glue. If they made it into a candle, I'd buy it. (grin)

Do other brands have such a smell? And if so, does it vary from company to company? I've also heard that vintage drums have a more musty odor and not the fresh glue smell of the newer drums. I wonder if this aging of the glue changes the sound.

Yes, other brands do. My Pearl kit smells great (maple and African mahogany), as does my DW kit (maple). It's possible you are smelling wood and glue, but more likely you are smelling a finishing oil applied to the shells as well. I recall when I had ProDrum build me a 16x24 bass drum, the finished drum didn't smell like much of anything until we applied Tung Oil to the inside, that really gave it that woody aroma, and helped to seal the bare wood on the inside of the shell.

Hummm. This gives me an idea........

Would you guys be interested in incense sticks or cones made out of vintage drum wood?
Do you think there would be a market for it? "Slingerland Incense"

My Renowns still have an appealing odor after 8 years. I'm not sure if any of the odor is glue as I'm sure the industry would be sure to use glues that are neither toxic or obnoxious. We don't want the kids to be taking the heads off of their drums and getting high on the glue. Only getting high on playing drums.

My Classic Maples are over 5 years old now and they still have that smell. The best thing is when you hit a drum and get a whiff of it escaping from the vents. I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo who can't get enough of that smell.

I recall when I had ProDrum build me a 16x24 bass drum, the finished drum didn't smell like much of anything until we applied Tung Oil to the inside, that really gave it that woody aroma, and helped to seal the bare wood on the inside of the shell.

When I did the snare build we did 3 coats of Tung Oil inside and out, smells lovely but gets everywhere! Waxed it to finish it off. It still smells like sweet wood if there is such a thing.

I love the smell of my richmo whenever I reskin that, birch is a nice smell too.

Pretty sure yankee candle have probably done something similar.

Define obsession. :)

I love drum and cymbal smells.

I love the smell of drums in the morning...smells like rhythm.

Dear Guru Drums:

Hi Andy. I'm considering buying a set of Guru drums.
I was wondering what do they smell like?
What different aroma options do you have available?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
My Renowns still have an appealing odor after 8 years. I'm not sure if any of the odor is glue as I'm sure the industry would be sure to use glues that are neither toxic or obnoxious. We don't want the kids to be taking the heads off of their drums and getting high on the glue. Only getting high on playing drums.

Grunter, do yours have the silver sealer? My USA customs did and they had a unique smell. I do a lot of woodworking and am used to the smell of various woods and this was definitely either the glue or sliver sealer. Nonetheless, I too kind of liked the smell.

Dear Guru Drums:

Hi Andy. I'm considering buying a set of Guru drums.
I was wondering what do they smell like?
What different aroma options do you have available?

Thanks,
Jim

Guru needs to add a "scratch n sniff" section to their website so buyers can pick the correct aroma they want to have.

I love the smell of wooden instruments.

I have been known to nap with my little acoustic guitar in my hand, and when no one else in the house is looking, I smell it. :)

Every time I set up my Classic Maples I squeeze the heads together whilst inhaling at the vent. Fabulous.

Even better though is my 1959 mahogany transition badge Ludwig.

Having worked in a couple of music stores I got to un box all kinds of drums. Ludwig always had my favorite smell...Sonor Highlite was a close second.

As much as I love the smell of drums I love the smell of acoustic guitars even more. Taylor and Martin being my all time favorite smells.

Last edited:
Whenever I get drums, I give the insides a buffed coating of paste finishing wax.

I've grown fond of the wood/wax mixture smell.

The smell of my New Classics is appealing, but different from a woody smell. The silver sealer is probably organic, right?

Back