singing drummer, mic woes...

I switched over to a headset a couple years ago when I started singing lead. I really like the freedom of being able to move my head and body around while I'm singing. I have had problems with it picking up my breathing (and sometimes I hum the melody when I'm not singing). So I learned to breath through my nose and get rid of most of the extraneous noise. When I'm not singing I bend the mic away from my mouth.

I struggled at first with the look of the headset, but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me any more. It's a whole lot less set up time vs. having to have a boom stand and a place to set it up. Where my band plays regularly, we have a real tight spot to begin with, so the less equipment the better. I really don't think a boom stand in front of your face looks any better than a headset.

I see this is an old thread, but I just had this problem this weekend. Friday night people were saying that they could not hear my vocals. My "boss", the bass player who is the sound guy as well, liked the SM58 on my voice because it sounded warmer. But it picks up the snare hits so much that he would not put my fader up enough to get my vocals out there. So I went back to using my hypercardioid Audix OM2, and that solved the problem. It's a "drier" mike though, it lacks the warmth of the 58, but with a little eq it can be made to sound better. Drums are a huge "noise floor" issue when trying to sing over them, a hypercardioid is the answer to snare bleed.

I use a 58 with no problems. Perhaps it's in the compression and gating and such, but it works very well for us.

I don't have a problem with the ol' 58 either, but I do also have an Audio-Technica headmic I can use when needed to completely separate my vocal from the drums. But usually, the 58 works out better.

I don't have a problem with the ol' 58 either, but I do also have an Audio-Technica headmic I can use when needed to completely separate my vocal from the drums. But usually, the 58 works out better.

Years ago I thought that I would want a headset mic. I then realized that I cough and burp and sputter way too much. I need to get away from the mic at times, lol.

Plus there are times when I sing louder than others (usually really high parts) and I like to back away from the mic some during those moments, even when we have a sound guy.

The 58 has worked so well, no feedback even when using a wedge monitor at a volume high enough for me to hear what I need. (Just started using in-ears, so that's no longer a concern!)

Back