How much of a stamina penalty is a double bass pedal compared to true double bass?

Shild

Everyone's saying the lag and extra friction makes the double pedal harder to play. I'm guessing it's about a 5% stamina penalty? Maybe a person able to play continuous medium speed double bass for 20 minutes can do 21 on 2 separate drums?

You're waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking. Seriously.
Don't waste your brain energy on stuff like that.
Go practice (no matter which pedal) and things will fall into place.

chem_damaged_hair.jpg

Yeah. Splitting hairs.

Just got back from a jog. My right leg was more definitely fatigued than my left leg.......do you reckon the keys in my pocket had anything to do with it?

It's not about stamina, it's about being able to do intricate double bass playing with high precision.

Just got back from a jog. My right leg was more definitely fatigued than my left leg.......do you reckon the keys in my pocket had anything to do with it?

Nothing like a humorous dose of reality Jules-style. Love your work man.

I learned years ago to tie my keys on the draw string of my pants right in the middle and that way they don't swing around causing balance issues.

This guy is going to have a real mind-f*** when he finds out that one leg is longer than the other.

Everyone's saying the lag and extra friction makes the double pedal harder to play. I'm guessing it's about a 5% stamina penalty? Maybe a person able to play continuous medium speed double bass for 20 minutes can do 21 on 2 separate drums?

Attachments

• notsure.jpg
    notsure.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 350
You would be seriously surprised how little difference it makes when playing a quality set of double pedals. I suppose if you play a £40 set of pedals it would affect the precision of your playing, but probably not the stamina. A lot of pro metal drummers use double pedals on their double kick set ups. I know Joey Jordison has done it atleast once

+1 to Brandon. Comparing the size of most drummers legs to the size of the bass drum springs and the double pedal linkage, if you think you may have stamina problems I would suggest the harmonica or accordion.

Who is everyone? I haven't seen it mentioned in Modern Drummer Articles, DVD's, books, etc... Do you have an example of this argument? Maybe if you refer to a source, we can see the argument in context. We can also see if the point was made by an experienced professional or someone who was just guessing that there is a difference.

Also, was the comparison made between the same brand and type pedals? To be a correct comparison, it should be the same pedal tested in both a double and single pedal format.

Jeff

wow. I read this and thought, hmmm thats actually a good question, as i've never played with bass drums I wonder how different it feels. Then I click to find the poor guys just gets laughed at! First post i've seen here that wasn't super friendly. the whole % things is bit much but still

wow. I read this and thought, hmmm thats actually a good question, as i've never played with bass drums I wonder how different it feels. Then I click to find the poor guys just gets laughed at! First post i've seen here that wasn't super friendly. the whole % things is bit much but still
It's all in good fun mate, we're all a bit too PC on forums these days anyway (and the 5% stamina penalty gave you a good laugh as well- it's OK to admit it)! : )

Here's what I found that may relate to what you may or may not be experiencing. I got a double pedal, and thought how am I going to get my left foot operating correctly if this darn thing is causing all manner of inaccuracy, delay, lack of smoothness, etc. My db chops never got past using the double for train wreck endings. One day I thought OK what if I just put my right foot on that left pedal for a minute here and see how crappy it feels with that foot, and sure enough it felt great, no delay or other things.

SO, I had to face the ugly fact that I was born with one limb that works great and one that doesn't just like everybody else, and that I had to stop blaming the pedal and get to work on making my left foot sound like the right. Now I have some DB chops for the kind of things I was originally looking to get them for, which for me is fills.

So my answer to you is that complaints about the style of pedal are not valid excuses for not having a good left foot. If it isn't good, it's your fault.

I've used multiple doubles (Cobra, Cobra Jr., and Pearl Eliminator) and never had any issue with the left pedal I have also played on a double bass kit that had two Cobra Jr's with no difference between the singles and my double. I have even used the left pedal on each double to test if there's a difference between the left and right (and did it with a bunch at guitar center too) and have come to the conclusion, it is the operator not the pedal. If you don't do well with the pedal then you need practice or one more suited to you (weight, drive type etc.), even then you may still have trouble.

WARNING:

All double pedals come with a warning sticker on them, that states "Due to the excessive lag of the slave pedal, you will find over time your slave leg builds up more muscle and you will end up not being able to walk in a straight line"

This happen to me, as now when I try to walk across the kitchen in a straight line I end up walking in circles and hitting the stove in stead. Be very careful using a double pedal they are dangerous to your health.

Back