Best snare wires

rubboardman

I play mainly blues music and use a Ludwig Superphonic snare 14 X 6 1/2, what would be the best set of snare wires to purchase , for a good blues sounding snare?

maybe a Puresound 30 strand and leave them a little loose. if not wanting that many strands go for puresound custom 20 strand or maybe even brass. Gibraltar makes a 42 strand as well.

The Puresound Brass 24 strand is also a good choice.
Pearl, Tama, and Gibraltar make excellent snare wires too.
Oh yea, Ludwig makes wires.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there is such a thing, a best sound for blues. Snare sounds in blues vary wildly, it's more of what sound do YOU prefer. I play predominantly blues and I use a fairly tight drum tuning w/ tight wires. Not your traditional sound, but then again we aren't imitating old timey blues either. Traditional blues recorded in the 40's, 50's 60's...the drum sound is low tech and kinda crappy IMO. So you don't really want to replicate that, at least I don't. Any snare wire will do really.

ive tried quite a few different snare wires expensive to cheep but i realy like my 20 strand pearl prity cheep and sound awesone

Yup - I agree...all personal preference.

One of the Evans rep's suggested also getting a Puresound Custom Pro 20" steel strainer to go with the HD Dry head I picked up.

Well, either all my tuning and snare tightness is off, or the Puresounds don't click with me. Seemed to have a bunch of excess buzzing - off center. My reso is tightened well, but not choked. I always had to really tighten down the snare wires, to the point right before choking.

I ended up going back to my DW original equipment snares, which actually sound better (IMO).

Musicians Friend gave me a $10 credit because of my disatisfaction.

Last edited:
Back