Help: dw5000 pedals slide off of kick hoop

-jeremy

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I'm having a problem with my dw5000 pedal slowly working its way off of the bass drum hoop. After about three songs into a set, the pedal separates from the hoop. This happens with my vistalite kick and my older gretsch kick. If I tighten the hoop clamp on the pedal down extremely hard, the torque lifts the kick drum and the beater side of the pedal up in the air. When the beater returns after a hit, the bass drum bounces along with the pedal which causes the pedal to slowly work its way free from the hoop. If I don't clamp the pedal down quite as hard, the effect isn't as bad, but the pedal still works its way loose. The pedal never slides away from me because of the velcro on the bottom of the pedal, but the subsequent hits after the kick falls out of the pedal causes the kick to slide away. I have two different dw5000 pedals and both have the same result with both drums. Is there a setting on the pedal that I can adjust? Any constructive ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-jeremy

If the bottom of your bass drum is not parallel with the floor, meaning your reso hoop has space under it, that might create a situation where your pedal clamp can't get a good bite on your bd hoop...you want that bass drum as flat as possible. Also, velcro under the pedal is pretty helpful in keeping your pedal from sliding around, assuming the pedal is on a carpet.

I ve had a similar situation, and have used 9000, 5000 and 7000 dw pedals. A gig mat with the bass drum wedge built in will solve it. You can get them for about $50 at midwest percussion, drums, etc, interstatemusic. Worth every penny and it should plant that kick drum and pedal down with good stability.

I ve had a similar situation, and have used 9000, 5000 and 7000 dw pedals. A gig mat with the bass drum wedge built in will solve it. You can get them for about $50 at midwest percussion, drums, etc, interstatemusic. Worth every penny and it should plant that kick drum and pedal down with good stability.

Thanks Magic, while I hate the idea of a bass drum wedge built into a carpet, maybe I guess I'll have to get over it and try it.

If the bottom of your bass drum is not parallel with the floor, meaning your reso hoop has space under it, that might create a situation where your pedal clamp can't get a good bite on your bd hoop...you want that bass drum as flat as possible. Also, velcro under the pedal is pretty helpful in keeping your pedal from sliding around, assuming the pedal is on a carpet.

Thanks for the advice, Larry. I always keep the bass drum completely parallel with the floor (I'll double check this again) and I have the velcro on the pedal. I never have a problem with the pedal moving. My pedal always stays stuck to my carpet, while my kick slides away.

All of these ideas are an immense help.
Any more ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks
-jeremy

A case of bass drum creep.....this will help^^^

Or just make sure your spurs protrude well beyond the rubber stopper on your bass drum and dig 'em right into the floor.

Thanks for the ideas. My gretsch doesn't have rubber on the spurs, just large ice-pick like spurs. The ludwig i have has the rubber on the spurs but without anything sharp on the spurs to dig in to the carpet. I've always relied on the stability of the pedal keep the bass drum from creeping as my pedal never really moves ever. But now that the pedal clamp won't hold the hoop securely, I'm at a loss.

I don't know about the dw5000, but the pearl eliminator has an angle adjustment setting on the top of the bass drum clamp. It's just a allen wrench screw that is used to adjust the angle that the pedal is in relation to the drum to ensure that it sits flats.

EDIT: according to DW's site the 5000 has this feature too, its the little knob on top of the clamp. Clamp the pedal to the drum, then adjust that knob until the pedal lies flat.

http://www.dwdrums.com/images/hardware/5000/5000toeclamp.gif

I don't know about the dw5000, but the pearl eliminator has an angle adjustment setting on the top of the bass drum clamp. It's just a allen wrench screw that is used to adjust the angle that the pedal is in relation to the drum to ensure that it sits flats.

EDIT: according to DW's site the 5000 has this feature too, its the little knob on top of the clamp. Clamp the pedal to the drum, then adjust that knob until the pedal lies flat.

http://www.dwdrums.com/images/hardware/5000/5000toeclamp.gif

Ahhhhhh..... I bet that's it. I'm gonna try adjusting it and post my results. I have a good feeling about this. : )
thanks again and I'll screw around with that setting and post the results.

-jeremy

Back