Sonor 3007....What skins to use??

ArchyMoses

I just bought a new set of Sonor drums. They are the force 3007 series. I was just wondering if anybody has experiance on this kit and would like to recommend what skins they feel sounds the best. Knowing eveyones taste is different, I just want to start out on the right foot. Kick 22 x 17.5 10 x 8 12 x 9 16 x 16. Also I wanted to know if the stock heads on the bottom of the drums are worthy of keeping. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

For me, (classic rock, reggae, funk...) I like G2 coated
over G1 clear from Evans for the toms, EQ4 coated
both side for the bass drum and G1 coated with Hazzy
200 or 300 for the snare...

If you like remo, replace G2 with Emperor, G1 with
Ambassador and EQ4 with Powerstroke 3...

Either way, you cannot go wrong for a classic, but
modern sound... By the way, the Sonor 3007 like
to be tuned a bit lower for max sustain... You can
tune higher but it will loose a lot of boddy...

Philippe

oh, the stock heads are OK but that drum can sound
a lot better with better heads...

jazz1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there, I have the same drums different sizes, I have messed around with many combos of drum heads and the best sound I have been able to get was the old school way, coated emps on top coated ambass on the bottom, tune the bottom a touch higher than the batter. These drums do like to be tuned a bit lower, like that other guy said, he is right. The bass I put on an eq3 and I like the punch out of it.
In regards to you replacing the bottom heads from stock, my answer is yes, you will recieve a better tone and if you are spending the bucks to get good batters then spend a little more and replace the resos as well, you will be happier. The stock heads sukkkkkk, top and bottom. Anyways hope this helps, heres a pic of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 648
The best combination Ive found so far is Super 2 coated over classic clears. I play everything from country to metal.

I have a Force 3005 (see sig), and I'm with the others, the toms sound their best with coated 2-ply over clear 1-ply heads.

The head selection I've found myself most happy with (and which is currently equipped on my kit) is:

- Snare batter: Remo Emperor-X
- Snare reso: Evans Hazy 300
- Tom batters: Evans G2 Coated
- Tom resos: Evans G1 Clear
- Kick batter: Evans EMAD Clear
- Kick reso: Evans EQ3 Black (ported)

Thanks for the input guys....it's nice to see your all on the same page...helps me choose what to start with and go from there. I can't wait to get the new heads on and give this new kit a whirl...I am still learning when it comes to tuning...I am reading lots but I think it comes more with experiance...any pointers with tuning this particular set...I did take note about tuning the batter a little lower and the resos a bit higher.

Thanks for the input guys....it's nice to see your all on the same page...helps me choose what to start with and go from there. I can't wait to get the new heads on and give this new kit a whirl...I am still learning when it comes to tuning...I am reading lots but I think it comes more with experiance...any pointers with tuning this particular set...I did take note about tuning the batter a little lower and the resos a bit higher.

Tuning is not that hard, everybody says it is but it really isn't. All it takes is patience, sometimes lots of it, even the slightest extra turn of the key can give the drum a different sound. My advice is do some searching on the internet, this is a pretty good example of how to get started,
http://www.zed-one-studios.co.uk/Drum Tuning Tips.htm
I really like tuning the reso slightly higher, when I say slightly I meant it, most drummers like the tone to be the same or as close as possible. Try all sorts of different combinations, and let your ears tell you, remember with new skins it will take a little time for them to sit, meaning they need to be worked in a little, so you will tune them, play for a while, sit down the next day and be like," why do they sound different". It takes a bit of tweaking but when they finally sit they will sound great.
Good luck, check out that webpage and have fun.. BE PATIENT.
Cheers

http://www.myspace.com/trippingwest

For me, (classic rock, reggae, funk...) I like G2 coated
over G1 clear from Evans for the toms, EQ4 coated
both side for the bass drum and G1 coated with Hazzy
200 or 300 for the snare...

If you like remo, replace G2 with Emperor, G1 with
Ambassador and EQ4 with Powerstroke 3...

Either way, you cannot go wrong for a classic, but
modern sound... By the way, the Sonor 3007 like
to be tuned a bit lower for max sustain... You can
tune higher but it will loose a lot of boddy...

Philippe

oh, the stock heads are OK but that drum can sound
a lot better with better heads...

jazz1.jpg
By the way Phil, Dude killer finish on your kit. I'm liking it man.

I've regretted not daring to go for the White Sparkle finish on my kit, it really is extremely nice!

I have the Sonor Force 3003, I've had it for awhile but I still love it.

My head setup
-2 x Bass 22" x 17.5"
(Remo Powerstroke 3 clear with falam batter, Remo powerstroke 3 ebony).
Tuned with Batter about 2-3 turns past fingertight, reso about 1 turn past finger tight.
- 12", 13", 16" Toms
(Remo Emperor clear batter, remo ambassador clear reso).
Batters tuned lower (2-3 turns, a little 'slappier') resos tighter about 3-4 turns. Sound amazing! No muffling, great attack and great resonance.
- 14" x 6.5" Snare
( Emperor X over Remo Hazy ambassador). Both pretty tight, reso a little looser.

With the bass I don't recommend tuning the batter head too low, I couldn't seem to get any punch out of it plus there wasn't enough response anyway.

Good Luck!

Back