what ride stands are you using?

v.zarate

Gold Member
What ride stand are you guys using? I need some advice/review in deciding what to get.

I was using a pdp boom stand I bought years ago but it wobbled a bit and tightener on the boom arm wasnt the best. What i started using afterwards and for the moment is a dw 9000 double tom stand with a short boom arm mounted on the back. Its overkill and looks sloppy with a 4 piece kit

I also have some older tama boom stands but are built with thin tubing and dont want to risk my ride coming down during playing. I think they were hardware that came with the swingstars in the early 2000s.

depends what you do. If you gig a lot, and travel with packing up/down, may want some heavier duty stuff, well built, double-braced

IMO you can't go wrong with Yamaha hardware, or Tama for the price.

If you gig locally, or lightly, I find single braced stands are fine, and/or modest engineered boom stands. I use a Yamaha boom stand or Tama Roadpro. Either one of them can hold plenty.....even my 40 inch ride (just kidding on that).

I use the DW 9701. It is a standard double braced DW stand, except it is shorter by about a foot. This leaves the center of gravity lower and allows me to put the ride down really low, where I like it.

I use a single brace yamaha boom stand. I need a boom because the straight doesn't allow the cymbal to be close enough. Don't use much of the boom but enough to need it :)

depends what you do. If you gig a lot, and travel with packing up/down, may want some heavier duty stuff, well built, double-braced

IMO you can't go wrong with Yamaha hardware, or Tama for the price.

If you gig locally, or lightly, I find single braced stands are fine, and/or modest engineered boom stands. I use a Yamaha boom stand or Tama Roadpro. Either one of them can hold plenty.....even my 40 inch ride (just kidding on that).

Ill take a look into the yamaha stuff. I don gig much but I also dont want my cymbals falling.

I use the DW 9701. It is a standard double braced DW stand, except it is shorter by about a foot. This leaves the center of gravity lower and allows me to put the ride down really low, where I like it.

That looks like something I might have to look at. The low feature is a plus.

I use the Gibraltar flat base stand. I haven't had any issues at all in 3-4 years of gigging with it.

Yup another Yamaha single braced boom stand user here.

I use the Gibraltar flat base stand. I haven't had any issues at all in 3-4 years of gigging with it.

I just switched to these and love them. My hardware bag went from being called "the body bag" by my band mates and is now light enough that I can pick it up and sling it over my shoulder.

I have a set of the Yamaha single braced stands (600 and 700 series) that I mainly use at home, although they are fantastic and totally giggable. I use a set of Ludwig Atlas Classic flat based stands for travel (rehearsals and gigs.)

I have zero desire to own heavier duty stands.

Surprisingly I just switched to DW 6710 flush based stands for my ride cymbals. I was reluctant to ever go back to flat base stands; too many bad memories of my cymbals taking a stage dive with the flat base stands on my '64 Stewart kit. The DW's are fantastic. Really nice balance between light weight and stability.

I use single braced Yamaha 700 series hardware. Light weight yet rock solid, dependable, intelligently designed. Highly recommended. I'm selling all of my double braced stands, I'm done with the heavy stuff.

Yamaha CS 755, and some older, similar Yamaha straight stands - don't know the model number of those.

Hmmmm looks like a lot of you guys use the Yamaha hardware. I will be looking at the 600 & 700 stuff. Im not into the flat base stands.

I'll throw out another +1 for Tama hardware. It's rock solid, and at a decent price. I used to use my Roadpro boom stand for my ride, before I got a rack.

I have used Yamaha hardware in the past; I cant say anything bad about it at all.

I don't think it's so much the weight of the stand, or if its double-braced or single-braced, but how well it's engineered. The Yamaha stuff is great. I have a set of the 600-series straight cymbal stands and those are awesome. Tilters work great, the height adjustments are positive. For light stands, you can't ask for better, and they're lighter than flat-based stands (if you can believe that). On the other end of the spectrum, I'm also using Pearl's C-900 straight cymbals stands and the same thing here - well-engineered with great tilters and adjustments. Tama also makes good stuff too. I tried some no-name brand stuff a few years ago and after a while those adjusters and tilters just stripped out or were no longer functional.

I have DWs, Yamaha's, and Tama's. I prefer the single-braced Yamaha's especially for gigging. The DWs are too heavy but really nice all the same. The Tama's are great too, but I don't like the nuts (I know I can replace them).

I also like Gibraltar but I've never like the flat based stands. I have some regular boom stands that are good.

I have a couple Pearls that I really don't care for. I can't explain why but I do know that I don't like the same of the wingnuts.

I used to have some Mapex hardware which was good stuff, but its heavy and it didn't except the gibraltar cymbal sleeves and flanges that I like.

Buying new I've been getting the Yamaha single brace CS-650A straight stand. I was using a 70s Ludwig Hercules straight stand with a cymbal spring. I wanted something more compact but as sturdy. I prefer a straight stand on a 2pc/3pc/4pc set. If I needed a boom, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either the CS-655A (single) or CS-665A (double) boom stand. Yamaha makes great hardware, especially their "light weight" stuff.

I've been using Ludwig 1400 series stands for the last 30 years. They are light and I am not a heavy hitter. They also don't take up too much room.

Back