Does Pearl Hardware still rock?

The company is American based, but their stuff is manufactured in Asia.​

^ This.

Gibraltar is 100% made in Asia, and always has been. Their original parent company was an American aerospace company, but was sold to Fender Guitars several years back.

I still have some Pearl hardware from the 80's. My main problem is those gearless tilters have worn out. But given those stands are over 20 years old, I guess that's not bad, but still, it's shame to replace an otherwise good stand because the tilter is shot.

These days, so many different companies are doing so much great stuff with hardware.
Tama, Ludwig, DW, Gibralter, Pearl, Yamaha, etc, all are making great stuff.

I still use a Pearl single braced boom stand (don't know what model) that I bought sometime back in the 80's. Besides the 17" crash, it holds my 10" and 12" toms. No problems. About a year ago I purchased a Gibraltar boom stand and straight stand. Even though they're double braced, it's lighter than my other stands. I guess you would call it medium duty. I'm looking at hi-hat stands right now. I think I've narrowed it town to the Gibraltar 6707 and the Yamaha HS-740.

I am no fan of Pearl hardware, especially the mid-range stuff. The components seem to turn very freely in the tubes, meaning your stuff does not stay where you set it. They really only stay put when you use memory locks on them...

Really? I've had the same hardware for 10 years, Pearl and Tama mix. I've never, ever had a cymbal move... and they've seen some tough times! Granted, I didn't buy mid-level stuff but I've found Pearl's hardware is very sturdy.

Ive used Pearl for 25+ years and have NEVER had issue one with any of their hardware, whether it be a HH stand or a boom stand. Solid as a rock, never had to think twice about any of it.

F

Really? I've had the same hardware for 10 years, Pearl and Tama mix. I've never, ever had a cymbal move... and they've seen some tough times! Granted, I didn't buy mid-level stuff but I've found Pearl's hardware is very sturdy.

Over the last few years, when I've been in the market for new hardware, I've stopped at my local shop, which stocks Pearl and Sonor hardware (at a high markup, but hey, middle of nowhere). The Sonor stuff is great but far too pricey. The Pearl is doable, but I can freely turn pipes in my hands with no effort no matter how tightly the pipe is clamped, unless there's memory locks (and none of these seem to come with them). Maybe these stands have just stood in this store for too long, I don't know. But I like my snare and cymbals to stay where I put them.

I have a few CH-70 boom arms from the late 80's and they have survived well; I just couldn't see myself buying something that simply won't stay where I set it. I'll shoot video next time I'm at this store just so not all of you think I'm crazy.

Ah, I see. I've found most of my (now fairly used) stands will move with force, even when tightened. Though I've never had any issues with things moving about when I haven't wanted them to. That would bother me. Sonor stuff is great across the board, hey! But God, you pay for it.

Over the last few years, when I've been in the market for new hardware, I've stopped at my local shop, which stocks Pearl and Sonor hardware (at a high markup, but hey, middle of nowhere). The Sonor stuff is great but far too pricey. The Pearl is doable, but I can freely turn pipes in my hands with no effort no matter how tightly the pipe is clamped, unless there's memory locks (and none of these seem to come with them). Maybe these stands have just stood in this store for too long, I don't know. But I like my snare and cymbals to stay where I put them.

I have a few CH-70 boom arms from the late 80's and they have survived well; I just couldn't see myself buying something that simply won't stay where I set it. I'll shoot video next time I'm at this store just so not all of you think I'm crazy.

I have both the flat-base Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware, as well as Yamaha 600 and 700 series single braced tripod stands. Both are awesome.

The Yamaha 600 and 700 series tilters are geared. The Ludwigs are not. Both the Atlas Classic and 600 series stands are light and portable. The 700 series gets a little heavier.

I have both the flat-base Ludwig Atlas Classic hardware, as well as Yamaha 600 and 700 series single braced tripod stands. Both are awesome.

The Yamaha 600 and 700 series tilters are geared. The Ludwigs are not. Both the Atlas Classic and 600 series stands are light and portable. The 700 series gets a little heavier.

I have Yamaha stands that are fifteen years old and don't budge when set. I am also very impressed by the Atlas mount I just bought, and wouldn't be opposed to checking out the Atlas Standard hardware to fit this new kit I just got =)

I never liked Pearl's hardware back in the 90's. It wasnt very attaractive to me, the gearless stuff wears out and it gives play in the stand, etc. The best hardware I have ever owned are Tama Titan Stilt stands from the 90's. I still own them and after 20 years they still work like brand new. The quick release levers for the tubes are something manufacturers need to bring back. Fastest and easiest way to make adjustments to your stands. I hate the wingnuts on regular stands.

I will say that Tama's hardware is total crap now compared to those Titan Stilt stands. Tamas top of the line stuff now barely holds a candle to their mid line stuff from back in the 90's. Its pretty sad.

I do have a Pearl S-1000 snare stand, H-2000 hi-hat stand, and Eliminator double pedals and for the last year and a half hey have been fine. I find the omniball adjuster on the snare stand tends to allow for a little bit of settlement/movement when you really lay in to the snare. A song with lots of rimshots will push the snare to a bit of a sideways angle making rimshots harder and harder to hit. A regular geared tilt adjustment would never allow for this. I find the hi-hat stand and eliminator pedals to be fantastic though.

Last edited:
I still have the pearl hardware that came with my kit from 1985. I only bought new hardware due to the amount of scratches and surface grime on them due to years of storage during my non playing years. my throne is still the same pearl throne as well. never a single issue. with my new Gibraltar stealth rack I am using the top part and boom arms out of my pearl hardware. It used to be some of the best hardware made.

The only hardware that's ever failed on me is the connecting rod for my tama iron cobra, but they will fail on most pedals, maybe not ones with revised driveshafts (axis, trick, pearl z link). I don't really see durability as a big issue with any midrange+ hardware that's taken care of. I have an s-1000d snare stand an ex hat stand and icon rack from pearl, all holding up fine and nicely designed.

For boom stands I like Yamaha's single braced stuff.

The best hardware Ive used is Sonor - followed by Yamahas heavier hardware too. Both companies offer well made, super durable hardware that really held up.
Both of their older 80s hardware series are incredible and were almost overbuilt, just great quality there.

The older Tama Titan hardware was also very well designed and built to hold up. Tama lost me when they went to Roadpro midline hardware and then tried to market it as their top range. It was crazy, and the hardware they have now cant touch the Titan stuff they used to make.

this "newer" Pearl and the tama roadpro stuff wears out so quick...and yesss, gearless tilters and tom arms DO wear fast and get play in em. Theyre much cheaper for the companies to design and go with, less parts to manufacture, no metal crafted geared teeth for them to make ...but geared/tooth tilters can lock in and hold things tight - the gearless 'disc" tilters can and do slip, at some point they all will.

Back