Gregg Bissonette

Listen to "Shy Boy" from Eat 'Em and Smile
Awesome double bass work and fills.

Another nice groove is on "Big Trouble" Simple to play, but it is a great groove.
I have spoken with people who have met him and concur that he is absolutely humble and nice.

Listen to "Shy Boy" from Eat 'Em and Smile
Awesome double bass work and fills.

Another nice groove is on "Big Trouble" Simple to play, but it is a great groove.
I have spoken with people who have met him and concur that he is absolutely humble and nice.

Big trouble is a cool song. Gregg actually showed me how to play the drums for the little drum break he did in the song.
I just picked up a cd called "In the eye of time" By Vox Tempus. Gregg played on the cd. Its very Dream Theateresque. It has some very good songs. Crazy time changes and grooves. I am very familiar w/Greggs work and I have to say this has to be w/out a doubt some of his best work. Specialy that he was a guest drummer and not a band member. Some songs are 7-8 minutes long. He definatly gives Portnoy a run for his money in the Prog Rock catagory.

Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

I agree that Greg is a very underrated drummer To be a success with Maynard says it all

I couldn't agree more; except to say that he is also very humble. Check out the Maynard Ferguson "Live from San Francisco" CD. Also, the work with David Lee Roth on the Eat 'em and Smile disc was (and still is) cutting edge - very influential. I reme,ber popping this disc for a cocky young guitar slinger and his bass playing buddy. They didn't think too much of Yankee Roase and were ready to yank the disc when Shyboy came on. Then the reverse scan button got a workout! Great playing on that album, peroid!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

GREG B.

...Sittin' in the Gap for Simon Phillips on a TOTO tour....covering a tune Jeff created.
"Jake to the Bone" is from the 1992 album "Kingdom of Desire" which was Jeff's last
with TOTO.

I LOVE what Greg brings to this tune.

Enjoy!
T

GREG B.

...Sittin' in the Gap for Simon Phillips on a TOTO tour....covering a tune Jeff created.
"Jake to the Bone" is from the 1992 album "Kingdom of Desire" which was Jeff's last
with TOTO.

I LOVE what Greg brings to this tune.

Enjoy!
T

Jeff was an incredible drummer that everone said was at the top when it came to groove and feel.
For 20 years Gregg has been my favorite and I think he also has great feel, groove and emotion. I have seen him over 100 times live and when I think I have seen it all, he pulls something out of his hat. At the moment I have 5 cd's in the player all w/Gregg.
None of his DLR stuff either. I like DLR, but its instrumental, progressive rock and jazz/swing stuff from different artists.
He is definatly my biggest influence.

Greg's got great time, too.
I'm told that when called on to sit in for Simon on tour, Greg learned the set and just went out and did it. He stayed as true to Jeff's grooves as he could-outta respect for Jeff.
I've heard THREE different drummers play "Jake to the Bone". Jeff, Greg and Simon. Greg's version is, by far, the closer one to the original, but they each put their own stamp on that tune. I, being a beginner after so long of NOT playing, would fall apart on tha ttune.

ps: You don't back TOTO or gig with Maynard and NOT have your stuff together. Greg does! He's amazing. Somebody said they've seen him behind Pearls. Last I checked, he was playing MAPEX.

Jeff was an incredible drummer that everone said was at the top when it came to groove and feel.
For 20 years Gregg has been my favorite and I think he also has great feel, groove and emotion. I have seen him over 100 times live and when I think I have seen it all, he pulls something out of his hat. At the moment I have 5 cd's in the player all w/Gregg.
None of his DLR stuff either. I like DLR, but its instrumental, progressive rock and jazz/swing stuff from different artists.
He is definatly my biggest influence.

Greg's got great time, too.
I'm told that when called on to sit in for Simon on tour, Greg learned the set and just went out and did it. He stayed as true to Jeff's grooves as he could-outta respect for Jeff.
I've heard THREE different drummers play "Jake to the Bone". Jeff, Greg and Simon. Greg's version is, by far, the closer one to the original, but they each put their own stamp on that tune. I, being a beginner after so long of NOT playing, would fall apart on tha ttune.

ps: You don't back TOTO or gig with Maynard and NOT have your stuff together. Greg does! He's amazing. Somebody said they've seen him behind Pearls. Last I checked, he was playing MAPEX.

Gregg has always been into writing out little chart guides to get through a big group of songs. But at the same time I am sure he was very familiar w/Jeff's work already.
Plus Gregg has the feel need to be asked to play what Jeff did in the first place.

Gregg was w/Yamaha w/Maynard and the first DLR cd. He went to Pearl in 1987 till about 94. Then went to Slingerland for a short period and has been w/Mapex for 10-11 years.

yeah... I have the Submarine album.
he's is great I love his style and he can play anything pretty much from jazz to rock and some crazy Time Signatures as well.

Your right. Gregg can play a lot of different styles.

Check out "In The Eye Of Time" by Vox Tempus. Progressive rock, different time signatures, cool grooves and weird beat displacements. The band has a website that has video's of Gregg in the studio.
For jazz/swing check out "Gentle Giants" by Dan Ramsey. More great work by Gregg.
Both have a place in my cd player.

Last edited:
Hello...........................................In over a year, not one drummer here has anything good.............or bad (not likely though) for that matter to say about Gregg and his drumming?.......................................................Anybody???

Hello...........................................In over a year, not one drummer here has anything good.............or bad (not likely though) for that matter to say about Gregg and his drumming?.......................................................Anybody???

LOL....yeah he's a beast!
Do you know if he still does those drum worshop days....I thought about doing it last summer...

LOL....yeah he's a beast!
Do you know if he still does those drum worshop days....I thought about doing it last summer...

I would guess he does it during the year when he has the time. Just tough finding out when. I spoke w/Gregg's sister not long ago and told her that he needs to update his website; gigs, clinics, lessons, CD's he's done and so on. She said she will mention it to him.
He also has a Myspace thats new to him and I didn't see much info on it. Hopefully he will get his site up to date.

Gregg has recently played on a cd called Instrumentality. Headed by guitar player Marco Cardona. It, hence the name, is all Instrumental. To me it is Vai, Satraini and Hoey all rolled in to one w/a small hint of Malmsteen. If its your cup of tea you can check it out at Amazon.
Gregg also played on another cd w/Marco where the band and cd are both called Deep Forest.

I saw him with Ringo's All Starr band a few months ago and he had quite the presence.

Happy 50th B-day to Gregg!!!
When I met him he was 30 and I was 20.
Our b-day's our 2 days apart (6-7).
It's 20 years later and w/all the great drummers to show up on the scenes over the last 10 years Gregg is still holding his own and his career is at top of it's game.
20 years have past and he's still and will always be my #1 influence.
Happy B-day Gregg. May you be blessed w/50 more.

Happy 50th B-day to Gregg!!!
When I met him he was 30 and I was 20.
Our b-day's our 2 days apart (6-7).
It's 20 years later and w/all the great drummers to show up on the scenes over the last 10 years Gregg is still holding his own and his career is at top of it's game.
20 years have past and he's still and will always be my #1 influence.
Happy B-day Gregg. May you be blessed w/50 more.

Hi guys! Gregg is on my record, yes, if you wanna have a listen check out some of my videos on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/kikothecat
Here is Gregg playing some very nice groove...
Cheers!
Marco

Hi guys! Gregg is on my record, yes, if you wanna have a listen check out some of my videos on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/kikothecat
Here is Gregg playing some very nice groove...
Cheers!
Marco[/quote

Welcome Marco!!!!
If you look a few post's up, I mentioned your Cd's that Gregg played on. You BOTH have great playing on the Cd's. I have sent the links to friends to check out as well. I look forward to your next adventure w/Gregg.
Mike.

Gregg has a few projects going on. Two available are Randy Jacobs-Return of Randy Dynamite (Funk) and Norm Stockton-Tea In The Typhoon. (Jazz-Jazz/Funk)
Two in the works are Eternal Descent. It's a comic book that will also have a Cd released.(Melodic Rock) And the other is Grand Illusion-Brand New World (Journey/B.English/Giant)

Gregg played a few different styles in these projects. I personally bought the Randy Jacobs CD at a Cd release "party" that Gregg played last week. It's some solid funky drumming by Gregg. With some of his signature licks. If you like Funky/Blues, check it out!!!

Back