Brushes on Roland v-drum?

sciomako

Silver Member
I think I read on Roland's website that only TD-12 and TD-20 support brushes. So, they can generate continuous brush sound if I sweep the pad with a brush in circle motion? But why only these models?

Which is/are true?

(a) Only these modules can interpret the trigger data generated by the brush movement
(b) Only these modules have preset brush sounds
(c) Only the mesh pad models coming with these models have the triggers to sense brush movement.

They make brush sounds and you 'could' play them with brushes, although trying not to get the bristles stuck in the mesh is a hard task. You could also play the brush settings with hands, sticks or whatever. The touching of something to the head triggers the swish sound. The harder hits, or taps will be the brush tap sound. There's a TD-12 kit we have on campus. You can get a basic swish, tap out of them but don't expect but 5% of the possibilities you could play with real brushes on a real drum.

I think I read on Roland's website that only TD-12 and TD-20 support brushes. So, they can generate continuous brush sound if I sweep the pad with a brush in circle motion? But why only these models?

Which is/are true?

(a) Only these modules can interpret the trigger data generated by the brush movement
(b) Only these modules have preset brush sounds
(c) Only the mesh pad models coming with these models have the triggers to sense brush movement.

I believe there is a bank sound that replicates brushes - check your manual or their site. That way you can hit with sticks and still produce the brush sound. I have the TD-3 (which has a brush kit), but I don't think I would ever play with brushes - IMO, that's like playing the sax with your ass!

You have to use the nylon brushes. The wires ones will not work.

Correct.

The TD-8 also supports brushes but a tad less realisitc than the TD-12 or 20. I have a TD-8 and one of the stock kits is indeed Brushes.

Correct.

The TD-8 also supports brushes but a tad less realisitc than the TD-12 or 20. I have a TD-8 and one of the stock kits is indeed Brushes.

I think TD-8 is no longer available and the current models are TD-3, TD-9, TD-12 and TD-20. And I read that TD-9 was actually a step below it. :-(

Well, I won't go searching the internet for someone playing a "south-wind" instrument - although I am sure in this crazy world that there are some who can make it sound beautiful.

My point is, WHY? It's not an acoustic drum set, so you arent getting the subtle nuances of the brushes on the kit. Sure, ekits are velocity sensitive, but it still doesnt make sense why anyone would want to play them with brushes if there is a sound bank already programed for the brush sound. if you hit an e-kit with brushes, wont it still sound like a regular drum stroke?

Perhaps I don't know enough about this, but it would seem to me that the ekit pad can't tell the difference between a brush stroke and a stick stroke, because it's all electronically triggered to produce a set sound, regardless of what you use to strike.

I think TD-8 is no longer available and the current models are TD-3, TD-9, TD-12 and TD-20. And I read that TD-9 was actually a step below it. :-(

Correct.. Not sure if the OP was asking a general question or was planning to get an E-kit.

ALTHOUGH, eBay is a great source for used modules, including TD-8! :)

Cant speak for the TD-12 but the TD-20 does have brush sounds. The module itself has the sound not the pad. You can set the entire kit to be played with brushes.

Roland did a good job on this but I think they still have a ways to go.

My 2 cents

The TD-50 does a pretty good job as long as you put down cash for the digital snare. Also, you have to both choose a "brush" option for the kit AND select brush instruments (there is only one snare and one tom.) But with those caveats, it's pretty realistic. I like the "whip" brushes..

Back