My drum refinishing project (PIC HEAVY)

very nice
awesome job
i would love to give restoring a kit a go one day
this has inspired me
*pound it*
:p

Nice job mate, and as a few people have stated, it WAS worth your time and effort.

one question though, what have you done about the damaged edges? is there anyway to fix them or have you just tidied them up a bit?

Nice job mate, and as a few people have stated, it WAS worth your time and effort.

one question though, what have you done about the damaged edges? is there anyway to fix them or have you just tidied them up a bit?

if i were to fix them completely it would have taken cutting.
what i did was and parts that were splitting between layers: i took wood glue and tried to get it in the crack as best i could and a little on top, and then clamped it together using whatever i had at the time. one time i was trying to fix 4 spots on the bass so i used 2 actual clamps but ran out so the other two spots were clamped with a car battery recharger haha.
after that i just sanded a little. so pretty much a tidying.

very nice
awesome job
i would love to give restoring a kit a go one day
this has inspired me
*pound it*
:p

glad i could inspire
*e-pound**explosion*

... so again... why not? might as well try to bring some life into something dying. Why get grandma a hip replacement? heh

Good one! And good point.

I like the idea and the results. What's more, it's very good practice for working on something bigger and better.

I would like to see a picture of them set up properly though.

I think it was a waste of your time and effort. Not so much the money because you sent a small amount. I can sell restoring a vintage set of Ludwigs, Slingerlands or any meduim to high end kit but refinishing THAT kit???
Sorry man just calling it like I see it.

That was harsh.

If you don't have the $$ to go buy a new higher end kit, then make the one you have Look sharp, that's my opinion, we welcome yours.... maybe ;)

Besides, with proper heads and tuning you can make a cardboard box sound decent. Excellent work.

Well done Matt, looks so much better! That glue is a pain to get off isn't it!! ;D It would finish it off nice if you had some black hardware on that though, but I know it will be very costly!

Definitely better than what it was, I was looking forward to the whole setup in a picture though but as said in your first post, Il come back to check when you get them on!

If I were a young, novice woodworker I wouldn't want to start out staining a high end Ludwig or any other high end set. I think this was the perfect oppurtunity to one, see if he had the skills, two would want to do again, and three, take a beat drum set and put a little blood, sweat, and tears into something that he can say, "I did that, and it looks good,"
or "Boy, I'll never try that again" Kudos to you Matt for spending 23.00 and your own time on a decent project.

Back