Drum Bags

chrisk301

I'm not looking into playing out a lot but I am buying a Mapex Saturn and would like to have some sort of protection for them whenever I do go out. I'm not really interested in giant, clunky cases. I don't need that much protection since I will be the one handling them, they will go in my car, and, as I said, I won't be playing out too much.

So what I'm asking is what are things to look for when buying drum bags? I'd like to stay around 200 bucks.

So what I'm asking is what are things to look for when buying drum bags?

Some lining to provide internal protection (although this is prone to driving up the cost)
Strong, reliable zippers that won't break easily.
Good stitching (preferably double stitched)...especially important where the handles are concerned.
Quality handles.
I also find a water proofing element desirable. Just something that keeps the drums dry should they ever get caught in a passing shower.

I've used both the Beato (top-of-the-line) bags and the Protection Racket bags, and they're both very good at what they do. The Beato's are probably more water-resistant than the Protection Rackets, though.

Thanks for the quick responses..I was looking at the beato bags and seeing that they aren't too pricey and I was wondering about the quality. Nice to know they're the top of the line.

Also as I'm looking through sets of bags some do not offer all the of the sizes i need exactly. I know ideally exactly is preferable, but will putting a smaller drum in a slightly larger case bad?

Also as I'm looking through sets of bags some do not offer all the of the sizes i need exactly. I know ideally exactly is preferable, but will putting a smaller drum in a slightly larger case bad?

Personally I favour a pretty snug fit, but it'll all depend on how much bigger the bag will be. I'd have very little concern putting a 12" tom in a 13" bag for example. But I probably wouldn't put a 12" mounted tom into a 14" floor tom bag.

Still, the end game is to protect the finish of the drums and as long as they're covered, they should be cool.

I'm not looking into playing out a lot...

Are you just thinking about playing out or do you actually have a band with gigs lined up. I'd say, save your money unless you know you are taking your kit somewhere. It took me about 4 years of solid gigging (with mediocre kits) before I finally started using bags. But that's just because I couldn't bring myself to spend money on anything that wasn't "useful" (such as camping gear and microbrew).

That said, I would recommend using bags over cases for gigging around town. Bags are just less of a headache in terms of packing into and out of a car or club. I can carry all my drums on straps in one load. Cases seem to require handles which you can only do 2 at a time.

But like I said... If you don't actually need them, then why waste the money. Buy another cymbal or something ;)

Thanks for the quick responses..I was looking at the beato bags and seeing that they aren't too pricey and I was wondering about the quality. Nice to know they're the top of the line.

I didn't mean that Beato bags are the top-of-the-line. I meant the ones I had were the top-of-the-line Beato bags. They make other lines as well, you'll have to find out which ones those are. When I bought into Beato, they only made the one line. Since then they've created lesser lines to get more people into their products.

Although Garvin does point out a good idea: unless you're actively gigging alot, you might be able to get away without having bags at all. If you have a car and you're gingerly moving them around on the occasional gig, casing them up in anything may be too much work to do for what its worth. These days, I have to travel in hard cases because I'm in an open-bed pickup and tend to play out more often than not.

Ya.. I was looking into their lines..I believe it was the pro 3 series. I may be able to get away without bags at all because I have in the past..but I just hate risking it if I don't have to, ya know? Thanks for all the help guys. I will make a decision once I decide how much I'll be out and about with them.

I have some of the Pro 3 Series Beato bags, and I think they would be exactly what you are looking for. They are not as heavily padded as the Protection Racket Bags, but they do have a smooth lining and heavy duty stitching, zippers, and handles. I've never had any problems with mine whatsoever and I gig every week. I do carry my stuff myself, so I am careful, but the bags do a great job of protecting against the inevitable dings and scratches you'll get loading in and out of vehicles and clubs without cases of some kind.

Just in case anybody searches this thread, the original Beato Pro 1 bags that are made in the USA are now available factory direct to the drummer and the prices are better than the cheap Chinese made bags. Lifetime warranty. They will help you with the right size for your drum/hardware so no problems. The Pro 3 and Pro 4 are made in China. Beato doesn't make those at all and are no-way as good but now you don't have to skimp on quality and can get the best bags in the world for a whole lot less than anywhere on the planet. The site is shop.beatobags.com. If you gig you might get an endorsee deal, too.
I was blown away with the personal service and options. You got to check it out.

Back