Ludwig Club Date

Boneybeaverbrother

Has anyone played one of these new Ludwig Club Date kits? I'm thinking about getting this one, they have cherry/gumwood shells with rounded bearing edges.
9x13
16x16
14x22
6.5x14

Attachments

• 0106132447_01.jpg
    0106132447_01.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 6,243
Last edited:
Well, those threads don't tell me much, it sounds like Bermuda digs his, but he's the only one that's actually played them. I always thought the center lug design from the original club dates was a good idea, less hardware on the shell. I went back to the drum shop that was selling these and banged on them a bit, they sounded a lot like every vintage Ludwig kit I've owned, very warm and thuddy. I attribute that to the rounded bearing edges more than the shell.

Well, those threads don't tell me much, it sounds like Bermuda digs his, but he's the only one that's actually played them.
What am I, chopped liver? :)
I think that you should look at those threads again. there is a lot of info in them.
There are also many videos on YouTube that are helpful.
These are good quality drums that look and sound vintage.
If there were many unhappy people out there that bought these kits Im sure that there would be many more posts about them.
You sampled them so you know that they are typical vintage round edge sounding.
Both Bermuda and others stated that. They are what they are.
You didn't ask any specific questions about them either.

Last edited:
In the words of Steve Martin, "Well excuse me", I didn't read every post on those threads, (too many for my old eyes), but, I saw some negative comments about the cherry/gumwood shells and the center lugs. Bermuda was the only one I saw that played a kit and liked the sound, if I missed your review, I apologize.
After banging on them a bit, I kinda dig them, it looks like I'll be headed to the drum shop tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yes there were comments that the center lugs are detrimental to the shell resonance because the theory is that that is the most resonant part of a drum shell.
Some folks are afraid of the long tension rods. I call it, "Longrodafobia" :)
Anyhow those of us who play them seem to understand them.
You sound like you know what you are getting yourself into.
I play mine everyday as well as gig with it and I like it.
Mine is almost a year old and it is still flawless.
Not one issue.

Another thing i noticed on these kits is the long tension rods get in the way of the rail mount forcing it to be mounted in the center of the bass drum instead of off to the side in a classic style. It looks silly on top. like some kind of handle to carry the bass drum with.

I noticed that bass drum rails began to be mounted on top center during the late sixties because two toms were often mounted on them.
They work well mounted on top center with one tom because the kit can be set up for right or left handed drummers.

Fact is, the rail is mounted on top because that's how the original Club Date kit bass drums were configured. It's just a nod to the namesake outfit, which was actually 20/12/14 (with a snare and hardware of course.)

Bermuda

Fact is, the rail is mounted on top because that's how the original Club Date kit bass drums were configured. It's just a nod to the namesake outfit, which was actually 20/12/14 (with a snare and hardware of course.)

Bermuda

With those lugs, arent they kind of forced to mount it on top?

Yes, in the case of the CD kit the lugs dictate that the rail be top center.

I believe that Rogers used to place the rail top center on some of their kits that didn't have center lugs.
Rogers also made center lug kits like the CD.

Last edited:
i've never seen pics of a top center rail. I must not have seen pics of anyone playing the original club date kits. im sure they exsist, im just sheltered. As far as rogers, I thought the swiv o matic was a stem mount from a single hole. if they had a rail mount, i just dont know about it. for me it comes down to the long lugs, i cant get past them i guess and Im a ludwig endorser!!! They dont know I endorse them, but i play their kits!

The top mounted rails that I saw back when may have been custom.
I never really gave them much thought.
I had a slingerland kit with a side rail and I always wished that it was top mounted.
I get a better tom position with the rail on top.

also like you said it makes it a right or left handed kit.
On a side note i stole your idea and bought a cymbal arm for my bass drum. Awesome!!

Yes I've played the new Clubs. Excellent, warm and tight sound. I prefer the rail mount. It's been around for over half a century. Wish these were about $100 or so less in price, but yes I'd buy these in a heartbeart if I could afford too.

I prefer Bob's wrap of choice, white marine pearl. Not sure Bob if you've received your matching snare yet. If so just wondering how you like it, etc.

No, they could easily move the rail to the space between the adjacent lugs/rods, although that's a little lower than the norm. I had a kit with a 14x22" kick with center lugs, and the rail was moved down.

Ludwig also had an outift with Classic lugs, and the rail was also mounted on top. I guess just a personal preference, they wanted to make sure every base was covered as to what a drummer might want. Ludwig had so many kits that were slightly different from each other, it was actually a bit confusing. Some of the differences were pretty subtle at the time, though they would be immediately noticed - and probably criticized - by today's drum-savvy consumers.

Bermuda

though they would be immediately noticed - and probably criticized - by today's drum-savvy consumers.

Bermuda

Ouch, Im not really in the market for another kit so ill bow out of this.

I've decided that I really want one of these kits. I haven't played one, but I will try soon. Based on the reviews here and the videos I seen, these kits are fantastic and will fit in my arsenal very well.

Back