Ahhh, new heads!

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
It's like getting new tires on your car lol... Went from Evans G2 Clears to the Coated version this time around on batter.. still got G1 clear as resonants.. definitely warmer, especially on my 10" tom. Snare has the Coated PC Rev Dot, great head. Please enjoy.

img1002-1.jpg

img1003-1.jpg

img1004-1.jpg

img1005-1.jpg

The old clears, much more attack in the sound.

IMG_1225.jpg

That looks REALLY nice. I guess you're right about the whole tyre thing.I mean they're both round, they're both attached to rims(!) Both seem like they're pretty simple. They're also cheap compared to the cost of the unit as a whole which makes them seem not so significant. But at the end of the day, without them the rest is useless! As such, the choice is very important.

Thanks! It's a Mapex Saturn in Root Beer Burst lacquer finish with Black Chrome hardware.

Awesome looking kit. I play darn near the same setup; my Saturn's are transparent black though. I recently re-fitted my kit with clear ambassadors; I had been playing coated emporers for a long time and just wanted to mess around with something different. I'm not an overly hard player, so I think I personally get a better response out of single ply heads.

AWW congrats on that warm feeling you get from beautiful new clean heads, one of my favourite feelings

Awesome looking kit. I play darn near the same setup; my Saturn's are transparent black though. I recently re-fitted my kit with clear ambassadors; I had been playing coated emporers for a long time and just wanted to mess around with something different. I'm not an overly hard player, so I think I personally get a better response out of single ply heads.

Yea, I'm gonna use the G2s until they wear and then switch over to Coated G1s on the top and try those out. I have them on my Yamaha set and for a single-ply they offer a sweet tone.

I use Remo heads here and there, mostly on my snares.. I was never enthused by the durability of Remo's coating... the Evans last so much longer. But to my ears, a more "engineered" sound. Who knows, maybe I'll try some Aquarians one day lol.

Back