Favorite Song You Now Dislike

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Name a song, just one, that you really use to like, but now you just can't stand it.
Think hard and pick just one.

Mr Mister....Broken wings

Great topic. Yes the 1980s bore many of these songs....

First to mind is Phil Collins' "Sussudio".

Do another thread about songs you formerly hated now you love ...

Many from the 1970s on my list. Bee Gees "How Deep is Your Love", Melanie "Brand New Key", etc., etc. And a lot of the stuff my parents used to play ...

Don't Stop Believing comes to mind....it's been so overplayed I just groan when i hear it come on now. It's almost become nothing more than a bad karaoke anthem.

I have to do this.................."Freebird",and "Stairway to Heaven".Makes me feel gouging out both of my eyes with a dull rusty spoon.

Steve B

The nineteen eighties...

lol - love it!!

We didn't have much choice back then - wherever you looked it was all doof! shmack! doof! shmack! [pokey keys sound] doof! shmack! doof! shmack! boom boom boom! [pokey keys sound] ...

Also elevator fusion. I had tons of albums - David Sanborn, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Spiro Gyra, George Benson, Michel Colombier etc. There were pearls amongst the swine but the gem/pork ratio was pretty dire.

Just triggered a funny memory ... I joined a band in my teens after a group of friends came over to my place, tied rope around my elevator fusion record collection (despite my protests) and said "You're not listening to that sh1t any more, you're gonna play in a rock n roll band!!" lol

Great band though, & actually produced some wonderful album material.

My choice = Cozy Powell - Dance with the devil.

I still enjoy that Broken Wings song when it comes on the radio. Still enjoy Cozy's tune too, even if he ripped off Third Stone (and then later had his beat ripped off by Boney M, which seems ironically fair).

Around pre-teens / early teens I was heavily into Slade and liked Dave Lee best *chortle* - redikuluss!

In the late 70s I hated disco, but now I like many of the songs. While I never liked How Deep Is Your Love, I've come to like many of the other Bee Gee songs from that era. Their stuff from late 60s/early 70s is excellent. Incredible harmonies.

Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer

I thought it was really cool...I think I was mildly deaf.

Let's just say that when I was a youngster, I didn't hate Free Bird with the passion of the Christ and the intensity of a thousand suns. The reverse is now true. Though I still like to throw on some Skynyrd on once in a while, I have deliberately not listened to that song and the first few notes of it always make me have a sour or upset look on my face. It's a physical reaction.

I am a patient person, but there is really only so many times a man can hear some drunk moron scream "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBIRD" at the top of his lungs. Good grief, people.

Last edited:
Livin' on a Prayer... I'm cringing as I type that.
Check out The Bad Plus' rendition of How Deep Is Your Love, it's one of my favorite songs. Maybe y'all could like that version instead.

I am a patient person, but there is really only so many times a man can hear some drunk moron scream "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBIRD" at the top of his lungs. Good grief, people.

Most nights I am that drunk moron.

"Satisfaction", "Light my fire" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". Really great tunes by great bands but I have just listened to way too much classic rock radio.

Let's just say that when I was a youngster, I didn't hate Free Bird with the passion of the Christ and the intensity of a thousand suns.

Haha - things sure are different in the US. Never once had it requested and I'd never even heard this song until people here kept mentioning it and I checked it out. I thought it was pretty epic :)

Worst thing is when you play lounge and some cretin shouts PLAY SOME ROAWK AN ROLLLL! I am not a violent person but ...

I am pleased to say that I never cared for Bon Jovi, despite the cute buns and magnificent mullets. Like others I was all "Death to Disco" in the 70s and 80s and now I enjoy some of those old tunes like I Will Survive, Funkytown, Don't Leave Me This Way and Never Can Say Goodbye.

Still, we DTD types were right - disco lead to dance clubs which, along with gaming machines and noise laws, devastated the live music scene.

Bo.
We can counsel you through this.
[ Actualy thinking...." e gads man ! " ]

Well, I was thinking about it, and I did really like that track (actually, the whole album too). And then Wayne Shorter's incoherent blowing, Steve's bombastic fills that seem to always be based on the paradiddle, and the lyrics about banyan trees and hills....it all started to sound uber-pretentious to me over the next two decades. And the way every college musician talks about that album and how it's so revered, like it's some kind of bible or something. I've experienced this same reaction whenever someone says "Mahavishnu whatever" too.

It's albums like these that make these young players go out and implement these overly-pretentious ideas into songs like "Mustang Sally" or "You are the Sunshine of my Life", and gets them fired, or at least distrusted on the bandstand for the next few years of their musical careers (if they get to have a few years before giving up and getting a real job). It's not just drummers. Bassists, guitarists, horn players.....they've all suffered from this album. It's a shame. If I could go back in time I'd stop my sister from ever buying that wretched album (I think albums back then were only $2.99 too) and get Kiss's Destroyer instead. I would've been much better served not having shunned Charlie Watts and Ringo, and just delved into the works of Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks. That stuff never gets old and I love playing it, even 30 years later.

I'm going over to iTunes to download the latest Miranda Lambert hit now.

;)

Point taken.
I remember being guided towards Aja by people whose opinions I placed much higher than my own. I do still like it, but that's probably because it also occupies a time of life that, with the benefit of hindsight, was sweet, carefree, etc., etc.
And, well, I .......
Don't really need to justify, do I.
Nor question someone elses choices, come to think of it.

Back