Which heads are best for the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive ?

fillsoffury

Hey guys, I've been fooling around with my kit using different heads trying to find out which heads are the best for the Hyperdrive kit. Right now I'm using Remo Pinstripes for the toms and an Evans 2 ply on the snare and it sounds alright but I think it could be a lot better. Just wondering which skins to use considering the shallowness of the drums.

It depends entirely on what kind of sound that you want.
Shallow toms are punchy and sharp sounding.
You can warm them up a bit with an EC1 coated on top and an EC Resonant on the bottom.

I just put on Evans G2 clear on top and G1 clear for a reso on my hyperdrive and really like it so far. I wanted to try some Evans Onyx or G2 coated but went this route instead.

When I owned a set of those and gigged regularly on some fair sized stages I found Coated emperors worked best. Clears really brought out the clicky attack and highs of birch. The coated put some warmth back in and balanced out the attack. It also gave the shallow rack a sense of more body, but we all know that isn't physically possible. On the bass drum was a clear ps3 with a fiberskyn ambassador on the front with a port.

I did try an Evans coated G2 on my 14" tom and liked it but it did quiet it down a bunch, I suppose if you were going to mic it that would not matter to much. Maybe in the future I will try some G1 coated or some other coated batter heads.

Back