JFS #103 The Bernard Purdie Interview....

I wasn't there and neither was you.Are you kidding with that argument?More back pedaling,and more argueing out of ignorance.

Pudrie must be telling the truth because he SAYS he was there.

Wow,a real eye witness account of one.There you have it boys and girls.It must be true because he's just so good and he says he was there.Everyone else MUST be lying.

Investigative journelism at it's finest folks.Woodward and Bernstein must be hanging their heads in shame.

Sorry,I for one don't dig.Show me verifiabe facts.Real journelism is nowhere in sight on this one.

You haven't demonstrated ANY credible proof,just conjecture and a belief that he's being truthful because he's a drumming legend.His story is also a hoax.

Right,and if my grandmother had wheels,she'd be a wagon.

Remember,it's not what you say,it's what you can PROVE and interviews with a liar don't prove a damn thing.

Steve B

Yeah, I did dig mate. My digging lead me to the conclusion that Purdie, just can't be telling it how it happened......just can't be. His story just doesn't add up. It flies in the face of the most common of sense.

Wish you'd do a little digging though. You're the man with access to the "source" after all. I'd be interested to hear your findings. Perhaps I missed something.....overlooked the obvious.....didn't have all the facts at my disposal and formed an opinion too quickly? Here's your chance to change my mind.......wish you would, to be honest. At least this ridiculous debate would be settled once and for all.

Alas it seems it's a challenge you're not interested in. Don't wanna even try to bring some credibility to the argument. Just happy to leave it as "fact" based on hearsay and conjecture.......I shudder for the future of your profession if that's the very best it's got to offer.

supermarket-tabloid-headline-week--large-1113845623-msg-22449-2.jpg

Heck, OK. I played on all of Purdie's hits from Aretha 'til Gaucho. I was there. Right there! I was making coffee in the studio one day and he didn't show up on time and the producer asked me if I'd sound check the kit. He liked what he heard and rolled tape.

;)

But I don't talk about it because my life is already pretty dramatic the way it is. I don't need to add to my epic awesomeness.

I met a guy the other day that works as a physicist. He's really good at it. He told me that he developed quantum electrodynamics and that it had nothing to do with Paul Dirac at all. Sadly, by the time he told everyone thirty years later, nobody would believe him.

I believe him...

Just to add to the pile on.

Jake, a few days ago I reported you for bumping your own threads. Fortunately the moderators saw it and deleted a ream of your posts. To my memory, you had bumped six threads.

Now, that in itself isn't a big deal but it does tell me an awful lot about what you're doing on this forum. I've never seen you post outside of one of your own threads and when you do post (until this thread) it's always been to promote your own show. Now your show may or may not have merit - because frankly I don't care enough to listen to it. Part of that reasoning is the attention whoring that you've been doing on this forum for your show. It actively puts me off.

I'm surprised that you haven't been warned for unsolicited advertising. You appear to have little to offer and after this debacle I'm quite willing to say that I'm not sure that anybody here will even trust your 'journalism'.

Based on a cursory look at the home page, the promotion of his site appears to be a not-for-profit venture, and he's got a bunch of great interviewees there, not just drummers. I think the information available outweighs the promotional tactics, although there is a limit as to how often we need to see the links.

Bermuda

I heard Jake Feinberg played on the first 3 Beates albums, and the 1st Deep Purple album.
Lesser known is Hendrix tried him out too, but flipped a rare 3-headed coin to choose between him, Mitch Mitchell and Aynsley Dunbar.

Based on a cursory look at the home page, the promotion of his site appears to be a not-for-profit venture, and he's got a bunch of great interviewees there, not just drummers. I think the information available outweighs the promotional tactics, although there is a limit as to how often we need to see the links.

Bermuda

I understand and agree to an extent ,but I have to question his conclusions,investigative fact confirmation skills,and journelistic integrity.Just saying a thing is so...dosen't make it so,and lending integrity to it,is a fools folly.

This is clearly a case of the emperor has no clothes for me.At the end of the day...you STILL have to bare your EVIDENCE,which walks the walk...opinions talk the talk.

Steve B

In all fairness, I haven't listened to any of the interviews on Jake's site, so I can't comment on their validity, or his for that matter.

My understanding of the Purdie claim is that he probably did add drums in a NYC studio to some early tracks that featured future Beatles. There are apparently two versions of those tracks, one of which is clearly "beefed" up. If that's what happened, in Bernard's mind, he played on Beatles songs, and never apparently sought whether or not they were the ones released on their first few albums.

I think I have both versions of said recordings, and will compare and count the number of tracks.

Did Purdie specifically say that he either replaced Ringo's tracks, or otherwise recorded with the Beatles in London? In that case, he's confused.

Bermuda

In all fairness, I haven't listened to any of the interviews on Jake's site, so I can't comment on their validity, or his for that matter.

My understanding of the Purdie claim is that he probably did add drums in a NYC studio to some early tracks that featured future Beatles. There are apparently two versions of those tracks, one of which is clearly "beefed" up. If that's what happened, in Bernard's mind, he played on Beatles songs, and never apparently sought whether or not they were the ones released on their first few albums.

I think I have both versions of said recordings, and will compare and count the number of tracks.

Did Purdie specifically say that he either replaced Ringo's tracks, or otherwise recorded with the Beatles in London? In that case, he's confused.

Bermuda

Jon..his claim is that one,he played on 21 Beatle tracks and the only one he remembers(at least in ONE version of the story) was Yeah,Yeah,Yeah.But he has said he may remember more, if the money was right.

His second claim is that he replaced Ringo on the first three Beatle albums,which total 41 tracks.

And third,he also claims, that Ringo didn't play on ANY of it.He has made this statement numerous times,and also states this in Max Weinbergers book.

Those are just some of the Beatle/Ringo claims,but the most significant ones.

Both you and I are WWRD guys and know his playing when we hear it.It hasn't changed much from his Beatle days,even till now.Ringo is Ringo.

Steve B

No question that the Beatles albums featured Ringo, and occasionally a Ringo-inspired Paul, and the Purdie claim has been going around for a few decades. I just don't know the exact words he's said, and if/how the story may have changed over time.

The version/account of him adding drums in NYC to pre-EMI tracks sounded the most likely, with some of the details becoming clouded over time. But if the New York part is correct, it obviously negates having recorded with the Beatles (in London,) or having replaced Ringo's parts, which couldn't have been separated from the rest of the track. And the Beatles tracks obviously don't have additional drum parts on them (until later, well after Purdie's claimed involvement.)

Bermuda

I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing. Which lowers my opinion of him drastically. To the point where I think he's a friggin a-hole. The part that I don't get is he doesn't need to make these claims at all, his body of work is impressive enough. He must have some pretty severe security issues if he has to go around running his mouth like that. Would love to hear Ringo's take on this. I say we get them in the same room together and bring the subject up.

Besides, anyone can tell it's Ringo drumming, it's not vague in the least. Their individual styles are so different that it's laughable. Purdie obviously subscribes to the PT Barnum school of thought.

I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing.

I don't know that he deliberately is, I just believe he's got his facts mixed up as to what became of the tracks he may have worked on. They definitely weren't the Beatles songs that we know, and he doesn't seem to know the difference.

Bermuda

I don't know that he deliberately is, I just believe he's got his facts mixed up as to what became of the tracks he may have worked on. They definitely weren't the Beatles songs that we know, and he doesn't seem to know the difference.

Bermuda

Well, my point is that he's got his facts mixed up about more than just Ringo and the Beatles. Check out this discography from his own web site: http://bernardpurdie.com/top100.htm. How many people here who think he's telling the truth about replacing Ringo also think he played on "Cold Sweat," "Sex Machine," "Peg," "Aja," "Black Cow," Bitches Brew, "Theme from Shaft" and "Josie"? Not to mention the fact that the drummer on about half or more of the Aretha Franklin records he lists was actually Roger Hawkins?

Well, my point is that he's got his facts mixed up about more than just Ringo and the Beatles. Check out this discography from his own web site: http://bernardpurdie.com/top100.htm. How many people here who think he's telling the truth about replacing Ringo also think he played on "Cold Sweat," "Sex Machine," "Peg," "Aja," "Black Cow," Bitches Brew, "Theme from Shaft" and "Josie"? Not to mention the fact that the drummer on about half or more of the Aretha Franklin records he lists was actually Roger Hawkins?

For those who may not be too familiar with the above listed tunes, most sources (other than Purdie) credit the drumming on them to (respectively) Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Rick Marotta, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Jack DeJohnette/Don Alias/Lenny White, Willie Hall, and Jim Keltner. Is there a conspiracy afoot to cover up the fact that Purdie replaced all of them, too? Or is there only a conspiracy regarding Ringo and the Beatles?

I am on the side that Purdie is fibbing. Which lowers my opinion of him drastically. To the point where I think he's a friggin a-hole. The part that I don't get is he doesn't need to make these claims at all, his body of work is impressive enough. He must have some pretty severe security issues if he has to go around running his mouth like that. Would love to hear Ringo's take on this. I say we get them in the same room together and bring the subject up.

Besides, anyone can tell it's Ringo drumming, it's not vague in the least. Their individual styles are so different that it's laughable. Purdie obviously subscribes to the PT Barnum school of thought.

Larry,I made the PT Barnum reference in a previous post,but I'm glad to see you picked up on it also.If he wasn't a famous drummer,he'd be selling used cars,or a carnie,barker, or snake oil salesman.

Bermuda ,you're a class act and are threating this with all professional courtesy and detachment.Understandable

I however choose to believe that he's not confused about a single thing,and just looking for a payday much in the same way rock star paterity suits are settled out of court,quietly.He's already said in PRINT,that the only one he remembers is Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,but could remember more if the money was right.Really?

The problem is though,even after all the outrageious and ever changing stories.....no Beatle or anyone in the Beatles inner circle,nor anyone with remote knowledge of such events, has blinked.His payday is NOT forth coming,so he persists to this day with the lies......because he has to.

He can't come clean now.There are too many stories different stories told to too many different people.The emperor continues to wear his new clothes,knowing exactly what they really are.

Steve B

Back