New Guy ..

mangwhop

Well i bought a kit a couple weeks ago. Im a beginner so go easy on me.

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8239.jpg

I already replaced the horrible cymbals it came with (aquarian) with some Paiste pst 3's..much better.

Hmm interesting i suppose that's not aquarian as in the drum head maker who made those cymbals is it? Speaking of which maybe a new set of those, some isolation headphones or a matching ride cymbal would have been a wiser investment over those ahead sticks of yours.

Hmm interesting i suppose that's not aquarian as in the drum head maker who made those cymbals is it? Speaking of which maybe a new set of those, some isolation headphones or a matching ride cymbal would have been a wiser investment over those ahead sticks of yours.

It's an Agazarian cymbal.

Welcome to the forum and to the world of drums. Nice looking starting set you have there.

I would concur with a previous post and maybe look into moving your floor tom a little- though if its comfortable where it is and you can play it with without your playing being affected by your second rack tom then go with what 'feels' right

I was actually considering getting that set before I had money haha
but the psts are a great beginner cymbal (a huge step up from agazarian!) haha
but good luck man and welcome to the forum

Don't diss the aheads.

Don't diss the aheads.

No man, he wasn't dissing them. He simply said that a new ride or isolation headphones would be a better investment. Ahead sticks are more of a luxury than an accessory. Of course, this could be said for all drumming gear, but that's for a different thread=D

Your floor tom is up the wrong way. Leg holder thingy majigy's are suppose to be closer to the bottom.

Thanks for the response guys.

I already fixed the floor tom.. i assembled it upside down (duh).

The ahead sticks were a gift from my girlfriend. Yes im a metallica fan.

I plan to replace all the drum heads with evans and as money allows invest in cymbals.

Im learning basics beats now from freedrumlessons.com. and having fun with it. I play guitar but wanted to play drums also.

I can see this will be as addicting as the guitar gear..i want cymbals, double bass pedal, drum heads.. i could go on and on...

BTW.. what are isoloation headphones for?

Last edited:
Isolation headphones are to protect your hearing. What? Huh? Say again...

DB22LG.jpg

BTW.. what are isoloation headphones for?

They are really an essential for any budding young drummer. Basically, they protect your hearing very effectively but at the same time being powered headphones meaning you can practice along to songs without having to have them at a deafening volume just so you can hear it over your drums. They also have an inexplicable property of making your drums sound a lot better, which encourages more playing.

Have you got the basics down in tuning yet? If you like metal then you should tune the bass and toms down very low, so that you just about iron out all the wrinkles on them. Then tune the snare up very high which will give you a really nice tight sound.

Im still experimenting with tuning. The bass and larger mounted tom vibrate the other drums and snares. I need to try some bass drum muffling i think.

Ill pick up those headphones this weekend too. Sounds like a good idea.

Back