How much is this worth?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Hello everyone. Next year I plan on moving to Montreal to see the music scene and try and get into it over there, but the jobs here in Cork are, no exsistant. So getting money is hard. I am thinking of selling my kit and getting a slightly cheaper one. This kit is the best you can get, but I feel that I can get another good one for cheaper, new ones would generally go for less. Its a 60's slingerland kit. I just got it a few months ago. It comes with the snare drum as well, which is AMAZING

It is up here because I am wondering what you people think it would be worth?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_75&products_id=665

First, What did you pay for it. Start there.

See, I'm not sure if saying that is wise, I need to make a profit on the kit. Private messaging would be okay, but I don't want to say it here, in case someone who wants it feels as though they can get it for less. I got it for about $1000 less than the asking price, due to economic circumstances of the seller. Lets just say quite a few grand! :)

Well, I am looking for a surplus after I buy another kit, and one kit I have my eye on is the gretsch progressive bop, with the silver hardware. But that costs quite a bit!

I wasn't asking for a public forum, just that if you wish to turn a profit, use what you paid as the starting point and go from there. Do you wish to make 100, 50, 25, percent over what you paid. Just do the math.

I wasn't asking for a public forum, just that if you wish to turn a profit, use what you paid as the starting point and go from there. Do you wish to make 100, 50, 25, percent over what you paid. Just do the math.

Oh yeah, I know that. Its just that theres not much point in putting up a price that nobody would pay, especially at the moment. I've seen them valued at over $4000 and others at just over $5,000
, its hard to gauge with these kits.
I would want to ask for about $4,300 to $4,600 I guess would which would round up to about €3300, which i would need . Would you think personally people would pay something like that? I know I could only get it because I saved for many years!

I know things are hard over there in Ireland at the moment, but in all honesty, I wouldn't sell.

I'm sure you could get a very good price for it if you advertised it correctly and I'm sure that you probably would make some manner of profit (although I'm not going to do the currency conversion in my head) but in all honesty, I think you'd miss the Slingerlands. They're not the sort of drums that you can just 're-buy' and I think you might well regret selling them, even though I understand that you make a compelling case to do so.

I know things are hard over there in Ireland at the moment, but in all honesty, I wouldn't sell.

I'm sure you could get a very good price for it if you advertised it correctly and I'm sure that you probably would make some manner of profit (although I'm not going to do the currency conversion in my head) but in all honesty, I think you'd miss the Slingerlands. They're not the sort of drums that you can just 're-buy' and I think you might well regret selling them, even though I understand that you make a compelling case to do so.

Yeah, thats the thing thats getting me. There are a few things that make modern drums better. But this kit is wonderful, and in all of my drum searches over the past few hears, I have never seen one like it. I would only be selling them if it comes to August or September and I don't have enough money to move away in January. Its a bottom of the barrel sort of thing.

But at the same time, if I could get the gretsch kit, I wouldn't be unhappy. But hindsight can be a killer...

Hard to say what your market is like there for American vintage, or even on the Continent, prices on your side of the pond tend to run higher than over here on the other side of the world. The set is fairly rare, and has desirability for what it is, as well as the finish. It could ship back to the US without import duty, as it was made HERE. That would be a huge plus should you get a buyer from the US. Any where else, there will be added cost to your price for the buyer. That is going to impact your net sale. And remember, the buyer is going to be out another couple hundred dollars for shipping anyway, dont price yourself out of the market. A Rogers Bop kit sold this past week on Ebay for 5999.00 USD

Last edited:
Yeah, thats the thing thats getting me. There are a few things that make modern drums better. But this kit is wonderful, and in all of my drum searches over the past few hears, I have never seen one like it. I would only be selling them if it comes to August or September and I don't have enough money to move away in January. Its a bottom of the barrel sort of thing.

But at the same time, if I could get the gretsch kit, I wouldn't be unhappy. But hindsight can be a killer...

You're approaching this in the right way. I have great sympathy for you in this situation. I hope you don't have to sell that fantastic little kit.

You're approaching this in the right way. I have great sympathy for you in this situation. I hope you don't have to sell that fantastic little kit.

Cheers Mediocrefunkbeat. Could get some money off the parents, but who wants to put that kind of pressure on them! Ah, still have a few months to land some bit of work. Could still go hippy style and move with nothing in my pocket and scrimp for sometime, but that kind of pressure with finding gigs would be hard.

If its needed there should be someone ( even in this economy) that would splash out for it. But it is a one of a kind! :)

Hard to say what your market is like there for American vintage, or even on the Continent, prices on your side of the pond tend to run higher than over here on the other side of the world. The set is fairly rare, and has desirability for what it is, as well as the finish. It could ship back to the US without import duty, as it was made HERE. That would be a huge plus should you get a buyer from the US. Any where else, there will be added cost to your price for the buyer. That is going to impact your net sale. And remember, the buyer is going to be out another couple hundred dollars for shipping anyway, dont price yourself out of the market. A Rogers Bop kit sold this past week on Ebay for 5999.00 USD

Thanks John, tbh, I couldn't see someone in Ireland buying this kit anyway. Just a feeling I have. But maybe somewhere else in europe.

That kit sold for a NICE price. And from what I have gleaned, the top four priciest kits would be
Gretsch
Slingerland
Ludwig
Rogers

Thats just how I would rank the cost of the kits. But as always, a good vintage whatever make it worth a pretty penny.
Thanks again John

The only "real" way to know what they're worth, is to sell them, and whatever you get for them, that's what they're worth.​
The reality of this "jobless recovery" is that there are a lot of really nice kits, vintage ... and new ... on the market. And they're selling for real cheap. Real nice, semi-rare Slingerland kits top out at about $3000, here in the US, right now. Or at least, they seem to, on eBay.​
As sweet as your kit is, if you have to sell it, well, that's what you have to do. It can be replaced. The hardest drum, to find, would be a "factory" 18x14 .... but you could make a 18x14, easy enough. And getting a set from the US/Canada vintage drum market ... probably much easier than finding a kit like that in Europe.​

You can always rank Rogers above Slingerland. No matter what the finish. And... they were better drums then, and still are now.

Not to say your set doesnt have high value, it does. But it wont sell for as much as a same sized Rogers kit ever. Not unless someone just really loves Slingerland.

You can always rank Rogers above Slingerland. No matter what the finish. And... they were better drums then, and still are now.

Not to say your set doesnt have high value, it does. But it wont sell for as much as a same sized Rogers kit ever. Not unless someone just really loves Slingerland.

huh, I always thought slingerland would be ranked above rogers. Thanks for the info John

I can't help much w/ the pricing...
...but, Montreal's music scene is great, crime is low, rents are low and over all the city is very cool.
I would recommend you get some french language stills. It'll help w/ finding work and the many beautiful girls we're blessed with.

I can't help much w/ the pricing...
...but, Montreal's music scene is great, crime is low, rents are low and over all the city is very cool.
I would recommend you get some french language stills. It'll help w/ finding work and the many beautiful girls we're blessed with.

hehe, yeah! By april or may i'll know about the colleges. Then if i don't get some HUGE financial help, I'll start brushing up on the language. I can already speak a bit of french, but I have heard that there is a different dialect in montreal. That could make it tough!

Back