Ready to Record? Or not...?

groovemaster_flex

Silver Member
My band has been together for about a year and a half now, and we still don't have any "professional" recordings. About half a year ago, we recorded with my friend's dad in his home studio, we had a blast, and we got some decent recordings out of the mix, but nothing that I think people would pay to listen to.

However, I don't feel that's enough. I believe we've hit the point where, in order to move on as a band, we need to get some professional recordings done. Personally, I am not satisfied with playing shows in church basements anymore, or playing gigs at friend's birthday parties for free. This is something that I can definitely see myself doing for the rest of my life, and in order to start making money at it, I feel we need to start investing money, and that means recordings and merchandise.

I see it this way. As a member of a band, you are constantly trying to sell yourself to other people. Whether you're trying to get a gig at a local club, or a spot on a local tour, you've got to have a way to convey your ideas (the music) to others. And that's where recordings come in. The other day, I was talking to a booking agent about doing a small tour in my area (The GTA or "Greater Toronto Area"). He said to me something to the effects of, "Okay, you seem like a great guy, and I think I'd like to get you a spot on the tour, but does your band have a CD that I can listen to, to see if I think you're a good fit for the tour?" All I had to say to that was, "No." I mean, what could I say? We don't have a CD, or any form of decent recordings, and this was a great oppurtunity to take, but I couldn't.

My band just doesn't see it this way. They always talk about how they're ready to move on to bigger and better things, but they aren't prepared to do anything about it. They always say something like, "Oh, I'm sure a break will come our way." or they try to come up with other ways to advertise the band, none of which they ever follow through on.

Now, we've been handed a great oppurtunity to get some good studio time in with a local producer, Justin Zoltek, lead singer of The Knockouts. (I'm not sure if any of you have heard of the band, The Knockouts, but they're a great band out of my hometown, Mississauga, Ontario). He has offered us 2 weekends (two Saturdays, two Sundays, full days) at his studio that he runs with his buddy for $500.00, and he's going to be producing us for free. If you want to hear the recording quality, just listen to The Knockouts MySpace.

I think this is an amazing oppurtunity, I mean, how often does something like this come up? Especially for a band like mine? Not often. The band I'm with is reluctant to do anything about it, and it's frustrating. There's so much potential for us to go places, people we don't know have complimented us on how GOOD our songs are, how tight we are, and how great we are with our instruments. But my band doesn't want to go anywhere with it.

I feel this is a terrible waste of talent, especially when all three of us are considering becoming professional musicians after post-secondary school.

Because of their lack of desire to go anywhere, I have considered leaving the band to focus on my other band (just started), which I also feel is headed towards something good.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bandmates. I think they're great people and stellar musicians, and I've loved every single minute that I've spent with them, both as a band and as friends, but I need more than what they're willing to give.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Should I stick with the band? Or should I find others with similar interests? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Thomas

PS: For anyone who wishes to hear the band, go to www.myspace.com/thetextbookriot
Listen to the first 3 tracks, This Song Was Imported, Dementia, and Down The Well.

If your band mates aren't completely pumped about this opportunity, I say it's time to move on. Someone who dreams about doing something but never actually tries to accomplish it is called exactly that, a dreamer. Unless your band mates are just as excited as you are, maybe your new band has more potential to go big.

On the other hand, if your band is pumped for making a CD, and you all split the cost evenly, great things can and will come to you.

Now, we've been handed a great oppurtunity to get some good studio time in with a local producer, Justin Zoltek, lead singer of The Knockouts. (I'm not sure if any of you have heard of the band, The Knockouts, but they're a great band out of my hometown, Mississauga, Ontario). He has offered us 2 weekends (two Saturdays, two Sundays, full days) at his studio that he runs with his buddy for $500.00, and he's going to be producing us for free. If you want to hear the recording quality, just listen to The Knockouts MySpace.

I think this is an amazing oppurtunity, I mean, how often does something like this come up? Especially for a band like mine? Not often. The band I'm with is reluctant to do anything about it, and it's frustrating. There's so much potential for us to go places, people we don't know have complimented us on how GOOD our songs are, how tight we are, and how great we are with our instruments. But my band doesn't want to go anywhere with it.

Why don't they want to go anywhere with it?
I'd leave this band. You've got the connection with the producer, which you'll take with you wherever you go. That's your ace up the sleeve. If you can't make these guys see that this is a great opportunity then you're wasting your time.
It's a pity, but these cats just ain't getting it.
Move on, and bring the producer and his studio with you.
Man, having a connection like that is gold, baby. Build and maintain a good relationship with Justin and you're already way in the game. You could get some recording work out of that relationship, you could meet the right people to play with, and you'll be reinforcing your connection to the scene. High profile. Connected.
Thomas, if these guys you're playing with can't see that then...MAN!

hey interesting to read your post..

it can be hard for bands to get to the next step to be a full time band, which is the dream you have i'm guessing....you sound like you're doing everything right, i had a listen to your songs and they seem ok...

the one mistake you made, i think is this;

"Okay, you seem like a great guy, and I think I'd like to get you a spot on the tour, but does your band have a CD that I can listen to, to see if I think you're a good fit for the tour?" All I had to say to that was, "No." I mean, what could I say? We don't have a CD, or any form of decent recordings, and this was a great oppurtunity to take, but I couldn't.

yeah you could've, and still should.

This is the mistake i think most new bands make - they think that people listen to the sound quality of their demos. they spend hundreds of pounds/dollars, hours of time mixing, re-mixing tweaking until the recording sounds like a massive huge polished hit. then no one picks it up and they wonder why.

People are listening to the songs, not the sounds - Agents, producers and the like have amazing ears, they can hear what things will sound like if recordered better.

i know this because a friend of mine is a very, very good producer. (he has gold records on his wall and stuff like that) and the demos he gets sound about as good as yours in sound quality - but some of them (we where listening to Black Kids about 16 months ago) the songs are so good it doesn't matter what they sound like, if that makes sense...

the most important things are the songs. this is why you'll make it. if the songs are good you'll get noticed and get a chance to record with a big producer. give the agent your demos. tell him they are demos. ask him to a show.

also better recordings can't hurt - talk to the band about splitting the costs - but don't let your old recording hold you back....people have very good ears.

I agree with Nate about the recordings. Find the guy and give him anything you've currently got recorded, the quality of the recording on your MySpace is easily good enough for him or anybody else to know what you sound like that.

Having said that I think you have 3 options.
1. Do nothing and carry on as you are. They don't seem interested in taking it further so just go with the flow.
2. Become really thick skinned and also take on all the work yourself. If you want it to go somewhere then take it there. Book the gigs, book the studio time, manage the band yourself. You could try and talk the other guys into your way of thinking though. Maybe they don't wanna try in case they fail.
3. Ditch your band and work with the new band or find something else. You gotta surround yourself with people who think in the same positive, ambitious way that you do or they will drag you down. You may have loads of fun jamming and writing with them but if you wanna take it further you'll have to change something.

Neither sound like easy choices to make but if you have ambition your gonna have to do something about it. I've been in my current band for 2 and a half years and I've realised if I want it to go anywhere then it's me that has to do something about it. I've taken on all the gig bookings, building fan base, collecting money at gigs, selling cd's at gigs. We're only a 2 piece and we both have the same ambition but the other guy has that attitude of "when are we gonna be famous" "surely we just need to book a gig and there will be 300 people there who will all want to buy our CD" "I'll be able to quit my job soon". He writes most of the riffs and we jam them to arrange songs and on that level we're on the same wavelength but I know it's me that has to do the "management" side of things.

You should check this site out, you may not agree with everything the guy says but I think he has a lot of good points to make. http://newmusicstrategies.com/

So, having taken your advice into consideration, I burnt the recordings onto a demo CD, and have started handing them out to promoters. I'm not totally comfortable with it, just cause I feel we didn't get enough time to work on the demos, but I thought about what guys said, and it made a lot of sense.

I copied and pasted my post and e-mailed it to my bandmates, and am awaiting feedback from them. I don't know what they'll think, but at least I got it off my chest, you know?

I'm also sticking with the band. I wont be devoting as much of my time to it (I won't be the manager for it, I've passed that duty on to the guitarist) but I'll still play. I'll be putting more of my energy into promoting my other band, where everyone wants to go in the same direction as me and we all put in work towards getting shows, renting equipment, practicing, etc. I also like the sound of this band more (being as I have all the creative control, LOL) so it should be good.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, if you have any more advice, please, by all means, let me know if I've done something stupid! :)

the songs are so good it doesn't matter what they sound like, if that makes sense...

Lol, yeah, I know what you're saying.

Back