Do maple sticks reduce shock?

Stick rebound and shock transfer are two different things.

You're correct, they are two different thing by themselves, but you might not realize they're directly related when it comes to drumsticks.

While I would have to buy a pair and cut them up to be sure, there is a black plug at the butt of the stick. This plug is more than likely a rod like insert that goes partway into the stick itself. The insert is what absorbs the shock, not the stick. The stick would perform as usual, but when the vibrations (they travel as waves that start at the point of impact, the tip if you are doing it right) travel down the shaft of the stick, the insert will arrest, or capture if you will, the vibrations.

OK, now I see for sure you don't realize it.

In regards to the ZILDJIAN ANTIVIBES, I've played them extensively when they first came out and yes they do work, if/when you do play them you'll realize rebound is affected and it should be obvious as to why.

The 'insert' in the ANTIVIBES doesn't absorb the shock, it acts as an arrestor, it interferes with the vibration. 'Shock' is energy in the stick which has been produced by impact, that same energy propels rebound.

Last edited:
Stick rebound and shock transfer are two different things.

You're correct, they are two different thing by themselves, but you might not realize they're directly related when it comes to drumsticks.

While I would have to buy a pair and cut them up to be sure, there is a black plug at the butt of the stick. This plug is more than likely a rod like insert that goes partway into the stick itself. The insert is what absorbs the shock, not the stick. The stick would perform as usual, but when the vibrations (they travel as waves that start at the point of impact, the tip if you are doing it right) travel down the shaft of the stick, the insert will arrest, or capture if you will, the vibrations.

OK, now I see for sure you don't realize it.

In regards to the ZILDJIAN ANTIVIBES, I've played them extensively when they first came out and yes they do work, if/when you do play them you'll realize rebound is affected and it should be obvious as to why.

The 'insert' in the ANTIVIBES doesn't absorb the shock, it acts as an arrestor, it interferes with the vibration. 'Shock' is energy in the stick which has been produced by impact, that same energy propels rebound.

Perhaps we are referring to the different functions of the stick. I am referring to the vibration that the stick goes through on its way back up, after rebound has occurred. It sounds to me like you are referring to the shock produced upon impact, before rebound occurs. If that is the case than yes you are right, I hadn't considered the initial absorption properties that the Antivibe insert does to the stick upon impact. I was referring to what it does to the vibration of the stick after impact.

You may want to find and try some of the new bamboo sticks. They may transfer less than all others mentioned previously.

So I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find and slow motion videos of what happens to a drumstick when it strikes a head. I did however find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFlEIybC7rU

Yes I know it is a baseball bat, but you can still see what happens. A drumstick will act exactly the same way, just on a smaller scale. You will notice that the initial impact creates shock, and that shock travels up and down the bat numerous times, even as the machine that holds the bat allows the bat to swing. The vibration finally ceases when they are absorbed by the bat and the machine. This is actually a good video. The ball acts as the initial impact with the head, the bat acts just like a drumstick would, and the machine that holds the bat is the hand and wrist.

Before anyone says "well the bat is made of ash", ash has almost the same hardness as oak, and baseball bats are also made out of maple. Regardless, anytime a force is imparted on an object, energy is transferred to that object in the form of vibrations and motion.

...anytime a force is imparted on an object, energy is transferred to that object in the form of vibrations and motion.

Very good, and the energy that creates vibration (shock) and motion (rebound) are one and the same. In order to limit shock this energy must be dissipated, which means what? There'll be less of it to produce rebound.

Order yourself a set of ZILDJIAN ANTIVIBES, the best anti-shock sticks on the market, you'll see rebound is affected/reduced.

...anytime a force is imparted on an object, energy is transferred to that object in the form of vibrations and motion.

Very good, and the energy that creates vibration (shock) and motion (rebound) are one and the same. In order to limit shock this energy must be dissipated, which means what? There'll be less of it to produce rebound.

If you had read my earlier post, you would see that I have already agreed with you. And did you watch the video I linked? You would see the effects of the stick I was referring to.

Last edited:
Back