Stock heads on Gretsch Catalina?

Swexx

Does anyone know anything about the stock heads on the Gretsch Catalina Club Standard?
They're supposed to be "Made By Evans", but I have no clue wether they are the G1 coated or G2 coated, or just some crap Evans made as cheap as possible.
I'm planning on putting coated Evans G2 over stock reso heads on my Catalina mahogny kit, and I'm just throwing this question out here to see if anyone have something interesting or unexpected to say.

They are probably single ply heads similar to G1's, but like all stock heads are not up to the same standards as "real" Evans or Remo heads. I would recommend also upgrading the resonant heads as well, since the resonant heads are just as important (if not more important!) to the sound of the drum as the batter heads. G2 over G1 is a good combo.

Ok, thank you, that's helpful :D
Then I think coated G2's over clear ambassador is the right deal for me, since ambassadors are like 30-40% cheaper than G1's in my local shop... unsure why.

Yeah I think Emperors are a little cheaper as well. Though, I've been playing tons of "Emperored" drums through the years, and I didn't really like the sound. The Evans G2's that I've played and heard have sounded awesome. Maybe it's just the tuning of all these kits, but I really wanna give the G2's a try - maybe just because I wanna try something new.

On my Catalina toms I use Evans clear G2 over EC Resonant, and they sound great! Peace, goodwill, and blues.

the ones in my store have:
coated ps3/eq2-style head on front with an emad batter
clear G2 over stock/cheap single ply for toms

On my Catalina toms I use Evans clear G2 over EC Resonant, and they sound great! Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Actually, after reading all the recomemdatios for single-ply heads for tom batters, I made the switch to clear REMO Ambassadors over Evans EC Resonant. I used Ambassadors because that is what I already had. I am very happy with the sound. After I wear them out, I will try Evans G1 clear and coated. I most likely will not go back to double-ply batters on toms. Peace and goodwill.

P.S. The stock heads on the Catalina drums are Evans G1.

Back