Favorite Drummer?

For a while now, Thomas Lang has been the main guy that's made me really say "Whoaaaa....this guy is incredible"....especially his foot work, which is interesting because I'm a dyed-in-the-wool single bass kinda guy.

He's like watching a CNC machine work. Precise, lightning-fast, yet also very musical and groovy. He's got it all.

Cozy Powell....just because...

I'm a Drum Channel subscriber and I just got done watching Terry Bozzio and Tony Royster Jr. jam on two SSBOZZIO kits. Holy cow!!! I guess I'm adding Mr. Royster to the list and Bozzio's always on my top 10. If you guys aren't DC subscribers, check it out! It's only $5 a month!

Me. I am the combination of all things I dig in drumming and what I like about any other given drummer. But it took a loooong time before I liked my own drumming at all, let alone be able to say I am my own favorite drummer.
I enjoyed this answer. Original.

It's like asking me my favorite car... Too many to choose from for many different reasons.

joey jordison, john bonham, steve smith, danny carey, tre cool the list goes on.... I do think mike portnoy is the biz but cant stand the music.

I put my own style together by mixing three to my liking while I was learning.

Crashes from Phil Collins
Snare from stewart copeland
and Tom fills from Neal Peart

ie learned to have the snare early, the kick late, and the crashes at the start of the fill away from the vocals.

The moment before 1 is the most important.

Phil Collins got me into drumming through his work with Genesis and his solo and Brand X stuff, but I don't really have a favourite as such, because as long as it's a human playing, its pretty much all good.

I have a list of fav drummers, but my two favs are mitch mitchell and neil peart.

some of my favs are john bonham, nick mason, steve gadd, mitch mitchell, NEIL PEART, and michael sherive.

But most of all, my absolute fav drummer is (drumroll please)... Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
nick menza

awesome stuff on the Rust in Peace album by Megadeth...

Hangar 18!

My current favorite is Antonio Sanchez, check him out with Pat Metheny Unity Band. That guy can make all kinds of amazing sounds on his kit.

Lots of drummers have inspired me over the years. The first was Neil Peart, so he'll always hold a special place in my heart. Later on I got into Copeland and Lars, then as I started listening to jazz and fusion, I came to appreciate Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

nick menza

awesome stuff on the Rust in Peace album by Megadeth...

Hangar 18!

by far the best megadeth album, and yeah nick is solid title track is one my favs
what happened to em :(

George Kollias, Derek Roddy, Dave Lombardo, Vitek, Buddy Rich and yeah this list would be stupid, i like different drummers for different reasons, like Chad Smith, as i think he is just solid through and through but then like Hannes Grossman cos blows my mind it hurts listening to him play ha ha

Keith Moon and Charley Watts, my two favorite drummers,.... they do stand out with the imperfect drumming , ghost notes, sometimes I feel like they are about to miss the beat but never........ which catch my attention all the time.

Back