Best snare heads for sharp/cutting sound?

I never wanted a sharp cracking sound on my snare and is one reason, but not the only reason, why I rarely practiced rim shots. I've been hitting drums, even if they were toys, since I was 5 years old and I'm in my late 40s now. I started to practice rim shots occasionally about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm not that much further along as I was then. I just don't care for rim shots enough to really try to get good with them, except for the occasional accent. I figure that if I want a real bright/sharp sound for a back beat, I'll use my 13" piccolo snare and that cuts just fine for me with no rim shots. But I can see why rim shots would be addicting once you get the knack for it.

I never wanted a sharp cracking sound on my snare and is one reason, but not the only reason, why I rarely practiced rim shots. I've been hitting drums, even if they were toys, since I was 5 years old and I'm in my late 40s now. I started to practice rim shots occasionally about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm not that much further along as I was then. I just don't care for rim shots enough to really try to get good with them, except for the occasional accent. I figure that if I want a real bright/sharp sound for a back beat, I'll use my 13" piccolo snare and that cuts just fine for me with no rim shots. But I can see why rim shots would be addicting once you get the knack for it.

It just seems to create some balance in strength of a nite to those of us who don't tend to use deeper snares (maybe I'm just speaking for myself)

Back