Simon Phillips

VIDEO : Great drumsolo by Mr Simon Phillips!

Hey everybody! Here's a video from the Toto - Live In Amsterdam DVD ( the bonus stuff ). Simon Phillips doing a drumsolo in Japan. And he's reading the newspaper while doing it!

Here's the link :

DRUMSOLO

Last edited:
Re: VIDEO : Great drumsolo by Mr Simon Phillips!

Interesting stuff. I like the part where he slowly introduces his snare after the newspaper portion.

I am not very much into drum solos, and I will only look at these videos from time to time when they are posted as in this thread. However, for funny reasons, when I watched this one, it reminded me of that other one, which was also posted a while ago...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/joeyjordison.html

May be because of the double-bass fest and "showmanship" (different approach) involved... Anyways I am an old-fashionned guy, and there is one solo that I like much more than the other one... and I'd be curious to see other's opinion on that...

Don't want to start an argument though... We also did mention somewhere else that musicality and taste were very subjective, didn't we ?

Yes, I know it, I`ve got the DVD but one more time: WOOOOOW!!
Simon Phillips...er...or should I say SIR Simon Phillips?? Yes, so SIR Simon Phillips is genius, his sticks fly over the drumset, so relaxed! He is awesome!!

Karl

Drummer Karl said:
Simon Phillips...er...or should I say SIR Simon Phillips?? Yes, so SIR Simon Phillips is genius, his sticks fly over the drumset, so relaxed! He is awesome!!

Karl

"Drummmer Karl ", You think he is good enough to play for "Tokyo Hotel". Just kidding.

Drummer Karl said:

Karl
Totally agree, Karl!

boomboomda said:
"Drummmer Karl ", You think he is good enough to play for "Tokyo Hotel". Just kidding.

HAHAHAHA :D
Tokio Hotel, you know them? Ever heard their stuff?
I won`t say my opinion to this band, I would be banned, sry! I don`t like them, this is the only thing I can say...(I don`t wanna attack any fans of this band ;) )

Peace,

Karl

Yes, I know of "Tokyo Hotel" I have German TV through Dishnetwork here in the US. I always watch Stefan Raab on "TV Total".
That man is crazy.

boomboomda said:
Yes, I know of "Tokyo Hotel" I have German TV through Dishnetwork here in the US. I always watch Stefan Raab on "TV Total".
That man is crazy.
agree raab rules i love that show
but is it translated?
well wrong topic

wooohooow i never really listened to toto
but i guess i should start

what i like about this solo is that phillips not only plays the drums verywell
but entertains the audience even when they are no drummers................

thanks for posting

yeah i really should start listening to toto
damn

boomboomda said:
That man is crazy.

Very cool, I love TV Total, too!! So funny...thenameless: yes, you should definatly start to listen to Toto, you`ll be impressed...I love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl

Ok, Dennis Chamers did THE SAME THING on a Zildjiandays-show.

He also drunk some water while he was playing a double basspattern, and then whiped his face off with a towel, and then looked at his watch (in stead of reading the newspaper)

Ad then he did the same thing as Simon here is doing slowley starting hitting the snare followd by a roll, but Dennis did it with one hand.

So, one of the two just compied the other one, or someting like that. If that's a rescent video than Dennis Chambers was first, but I think there where a lot of drummer who did that before.

So, for me this video was a bit dissapointing!

Didn´t it make you smile?
If no ok agree but
if you smiled I would not call myself disapointed

and I actually do nit think that Phillips or chambers
need to copy the otherone
it is just funny

Neither solo really does much for me. I've never been a big fan of "arena solos". I use the term "arena solo" because they are geared more to an arena of screaming fans that don't know the first thing about playing drums but LOVE lots of notes, cymbals and double bass than to us regular drummers.

I find Steve Gadd's syncopated snare fills in the Buddy Rich drum-off to be more entertaining.

Don't get me wrong, Simon Phillips is in my Top 3 for players, but the solo doesn't do much for me.

BTW, didn't Tommy Lee hold the trademark for upside-down drum solos?

Is that Mike Porcaro doing the video taping?

Indeed it is. It's from the bonus stuff of the Live In Amsterdam DVD released in 2003.

Robin said:
Indeed it is. It's from the bonus stuff of the Live In Amsterdam DVD released in 2003.

I love the bonus stuff of Toto! They are so cool and crazy behind th stage though they are cool on the stage, too... Especially Steve, he laughs all the time, he is so funny...Robin: Do you know the scene when Toto are in the bus and Simon shows his poop "jingle bells" version?? This is sooo crazy!! :D

Karl

Hahahahaha yeah, I love that scene! Simon is on the verge of laughing his ass off! They seem to have alot of fun on the road!

I think the coolest thing about Simon Philips is his innate sense of flair... he just has a blast when he plays and that comes thru so much.

He has that spark, he makes drumming become such fun... his playing is like that... a strange mix of virtuosity, yet fun, he never appears to be a show off... and is always in great musical form.

Robin said:
Hahahahaha yeah, I love that scene! Simon is on the verge of laughing his ass off! They seem to have alot of fun on the road!

Yeah, really!! Everyone was laughing, me too! I Laughed so much that I felt pain after some time in my body! :D
Loving the extras...the day in the bowling centre...great and crazy HAHAHA :D

Karl

Pedro said:
Ok, Dennis Chamers did THE SAME THING on a Zildjiandays-show.

He also drunk some water while he was playing a double basspattern, and then whiped his face off with a towel, and then looked at his watch (in stead of reading the newspaper)

Ad then he did the same thing as Simon here is doing slowley starting hitting the snare followd by a roll, but Dennis did it with one hand.

So, one of the two just compied the other one, or someting like that. If that's a rescent video than Dennis Chambers was first, but I think there where a lot of drummer who did that before.

So, for me this video was a bit dissapointing!

This video is put up here just for sharing purpose, didn't know it was dissapointing to you or and doesn't really matter who actuslly copied who. Afterall Simon did this as always in his many clinic in different ways. Dennis is my No.1 Drummer, but I've seen Simon on the Drums too in his Clinic and he really has very Fast Legs & Hands too, very good control 4 limbs and I'm amazed.

Pedro, these are entertaining regardless which drummer did it, provided we do possess that kind of skills.

Back