pics from the studio!

drummerern

i'll probably eventually make a new thread for each kit but here are pictures from my bands recent trip to the studio.

the three main kits i used were:
-1964 ludwig club date in gold sparkle
-a b/o badge vistalite set (minus the bass drum, played by a friend on top of my part)
-the same b/o badge vista but with a 26" dw champaign sparkle kick that belonged to the studio
- my custom kit that i built a while back

the cymbals i used were:
-24" K light ride
-22" K light ride
-20" vintage zildjian crash/ ride
-20" K pre-aged dry light ride
-20" vintage zildjian sizzle ride
-15" vintage zildjian hats (main hats)
-14" zildjian quick beats (secondary)

snares that were used:
-14x6.5 ludwig black beauty
-14x10 vintage ludwig marching snare tuned super low
-14x5.5 vintage ludwig snare (not sure of the year as it belonged to the studio)
-we took my acrylic custom snare and some yamaha snare and put them under the floor toms on the vistalite without a kick and it gave it tons of great sounding snare rattle, but neither were actually played.

we play post rock instrumental music (explosions in the sky, caspian, this will destroy you type stuff) so we needed alot of different sounds to really set the mood drum wise. i will say that getting to use pretty much all my gear in one setting was amazing, we also had the studio's ayotte, dw, and ludwig kits handy but only ended using their vintage luddy snare and dw kick.

the last picture is just drum prons...
i'll give specs if you really want them.

hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_4414.jpg
    IMG_4414.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_4410.JPG
    IMG_4410.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 632
a couple more...
sorry, the last one is drum prons...

Attachments

• IMG_4466.jpg
    IMG_4466.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_4475.jpg
    IMG_4475.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_4482.JPG
    IMG_4482.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 577
What kind of mic is that that dropped in front of the bass drum head? What sound does it add by micing it there? Anyways, great looking kit and cymbals and I bet they sounded huge in that room! Looks like fun.

I would presume the one in the corner is to pick up punch whereas the one a few cm further back in the middle is to get more of the boom.

These are all very nice kits. One of them i'm sure would be enough for many lol.

we actually used four different mic's on the kick for the bigger songs. one condensor in front of the reso head. a beta 52 on the reso. and a yamaha subkick on the reso. we also dropped a condensor between the snare and kick batter to pick up some pedal click and a little lower snare buzz.

we actually used four different mic's on the kick for the bigger songs. one condensor in front of the reso head. a beta 52 on the reso. and a yamaha subkick on the reso. we also dropped a condensor between the snare and kick batter to pick up some pedal click and a little lower snare buzz.

I don't believe that's a condenser at the bass drum's batter head, it look more to me like a taped up Sennheiser 441 dynamic microphone. One of the best dynamic microphones in existence, in my opinion. It has a five position bass roll off in front of the XLR connector. Very odd placement for such a microphone because of the lobe at the back of the mic being "supercardioid". It's a front address type of transducer, not side.

Dennis

I spotted that too. Saw one for the first time at an event last week. Two capsules, right? One for the top-end and one for the lower-end?

wel now i know. haha... i was just asuming, considering that i just played them and let the engineer mic everything, i just assumed. thanks!

wel now i know. haha... i was just asuming, considering that i just played them and let the engineer mic everything, i just assumed. thanks!

Easy assumption to make. I thought the same when I first came across one.

I spotted that too. Saw one for the first time at an event last week. Two capsules, right? One for the top-end and one for the lower-end?

I believe that it has only a single element, but it also has a brilliant switch on the bottom of the microphone that's centered at about 5K giving the MD441 a more open, airy feeling without being brittle. It has a pretty flat frequency response through about 20K, according to their literature.

I know of only a couple of dynamic microphones that have dual capsules to handle the low and high frequencies and one was made by AKG back in the seventies, the D202. I can't remember the model number of the other though and I never owned either one, but used the D 202 a few times. If I remember correctly, they weren't very expensive.

DSC_0139-1.jpg

Dennis

WOW! what a beautiful room to cut in. can we hear some sounds? i would love to hear just drums in that awesome space! where was this at?

wow, you guys sure do know alot about that mic. good to know!

i'll try to get some drum tracks up and the ep should be finished by the end of the summer.

Based on the bands you say you're influenced by, you might want to give Oceansize a listen.

Nice kit, especially cymbals! Gotta' listen to those bands you listed, do they sound like The Killers. Just a guess... :)

What's the purpose with having snares underneath the floor toms?

Back