My good old DW's

There is a story behind these drums that I would like to share:

I actually only paid $160 for this set of drums..(this is my 2nd set of DW's)

I bought my first set at Forks in Nashville. It was on consignment and I paid $1500 for a 6 pc set. Same color as my 2nd kit. They showed me before I bought them where the wrap was coming apart just a little..not bad at all..It was in great shape and sounded wonderful..I think they were made in 1990.

Well I was gigging and needed bags to haul these around in, so I go to buy bags and they had them all but the 12" so they ordered it for me and when it came in I took the 12" drum with me to see if there was any way to fix where the wrap was coming apart..mind you it didn't look bad and was easily hidden..no big deal to me.

They call DW and DW says "our drums don't do that" kinda snobby like and then they asked me to ship back to them for a free repair. So I was like sure why not...So they call me 4 weeks later with my drums back and when I get there they are still in the boxes so I opened one up to see the repair job and I thought I was going to CRY!!

They took a 3" wide strip of the same wrap and glued it over the seam of the drum like a giant patch. It looked horrible. I was devastated. Well the drum store owner was in as much shock as I was and he promptly got DW on the phone and ripped them a new one and at that time he was the only DW dealer in Tennessee so you could imagine how big of a deal that is.

DW once again told us to ship the drums back and they would take care of it. Another 4 weeks went by and I got a call from Forks saying my drums were back. I opened up the boxes and I have a BRAND NEW set of DW's. I was thrilled, but then I thought well if I knew they were going send me a new kit I probably would have gotten a different finish, but hey...Beggars can't be choosers..So I was happy and still am..even though I still think my 1st set of DW's sounded better than my current set does.

I paid for the shipping for the 1st trip of my DW's going out for the original repair which was $160.

Sorry for a long post but just wanted to share..

That's quite the story. I can't believe they would just try to patch that seam. My set is the first snow-white pearl laquer finish DW ever made. I bought these off a DW endorsed drummer, and he personally hand picked the shells with John Good. I have a pic here, without the 18" floor tom. BTW, the SKII bass drum head sound phenomenal on these kicks. One other thing I did to my set was put the newer STM mounts on the toms, I like them alot better than the RIMS mounts.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13301&d=1183616994

Mendozart: You have a BEAUTIFUL kit. I love that finish. Is that a DW rack? If it is I never knew they made racks. Thats cool to pick up an endorse kit with hand picked shells. Are those Ebony's on your resonant side? It looks cool but how do they sound? You should definitely be proud of those!!

JD

Mendozart: You have a BEAUTIFUL kit. I love that finish. Is that a DW rack? If it is I never knew they made racks. Thats cool to pick up an endorse kit with hand picked shells. Are those Ebony's on your resonant side? It looks cool but how do they sound? You should definitely be proud of those!!

JD
It's a DW/PDP rack. They are pretty much the same, the DW rack comes with spiked feet and DW boom arms. The PDP comes with rubber feet and PDP boom arms. Everything else is the same. I didn't like the PDP arms, so I used all my Tama Roadpro arms. The only other difference is the level with the logo. I bought this rack off ebay and the guy gave me both the DW and the PDP levels. In fact all the Gibraltar stuff will fit and I've seen guys use some of the black clamps on these racks. I went with the Remo Ebony resos for looks, but they also sound good.

how do the toms sound with the batter heads on the reso side. I think thats what I'm reading on the one picture.

Very beautiful kit. It's nice to see people on here who've had the same kit for over a decade. Hopefully I can reach that point :) I'm a fan of the WMP finish as well. The best color wrap IMO, of course I'm biased :)

Fourstringdrums: Thank you for your kind comments. It is a really cool color. I have found just about anywhere I take they stand out in a classy kinda way.

Mendozart: Those are the original stock heads, I've had them off but have never changed them. I'm not real sure what I would put on if I changed them

Fourstringdrums: Thank you for your kind comments. It is a really cool color. I have found just about anywhere I take they stand out in a classy kinda way.

Mendozart: Those are the original stock heads, I've had them off but have never changed them. I'm not real sure what I would put on if I changed them

You haven't changed heads since '94? Those drums definitely aren't living up to their potential then. I would just put clear Ambassadors on.

Just wanted to post a few pictures of the outdoor gig we did last night. It went real well. This gig was the kickoff for the start of the younglife organization in our county.

We ususally do our gigs with a pair of Peavey SP-4's and 2600 watts, and it sounds fine. Our bass player usually mixes our sound on stage.

Our lead singer is the pastor of a church in our community and a guy started coming to his church who sets PA equipment up in chruches and different venues, so he just pieced together a little 9500 watt PA system with stuff he had lying around. He also had an Audix drum mic kit too that he let me use. I used the D6 in the kick and it sounded AMAZING! Used a D4 on the snare and since I got the CAD's mounted internally I used them in my toms,but they couldn't hold a candle to the Audix mics. I HAVE GOT TO HAVE ME SOME OF THOSE MICS... Wow! The sound was unbelievable. My kick sounded like a cannon going off, one of the best mixes I have ever had.

I have learned the hard way over and over to buy quality not quantity..so as soon as I can afford some Audix or some higher end mics, that will be my next investment...
P8250011.jpg

Attachments

• P8250021.jpg
    P8250021.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5,313
  • P8250023.jpg
    P8250023.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5,287
Last edited:
Beautiful kit man, I love to see white kits- so classy... Congrats on those gigs, I love playin outdoors... I'm also a fan of a left side tom. Props bro-

Thanks alot for the comments!! l took a peek at your Tama's and they look great too! I love the last setup you have going on, once again, I am inspired!!

I also see you are right up the road from me..

I had a real good time doing those outdoor gigs last summer even though it was so hot.

I got some Evans coated G2's on them now along with a coated genera with internal ring and the snare. They are a little bright than the coated emperors were, but full of tone!!

Due to my wife getting a new car (it now resides in the garage) I had to relocate my drums in the garage, and due to the lack of space the 14" is back on the rack instead of on the left.

Attachments

• PB140012.jpg
    PB140012.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3,802
Thanks alot for the comments!! l took a peek at your Tama's and they look great too! I love the last setup you have going on, once again, I am inspired!!

I also see you are right up the road from me..

I had a real good time doing those outdoor gigs last summer even though it was so hot.

Yeah last summer was pretty rough, I was doing HVAC duct work... not fun. So I'm gonna network a bit now- If you guys need any recording done or know anybody that does, I'm great for it- that's what I studied in school. I'll do it on location with protools (I'm digidesign certified) and won't charge an arm and a leg either. I'm Zach, by the way.

Back