Best drum cases or bags for the money?

Humes & Berg Galaxy Bags are the best value out there.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/humes-berg

Also check out the Drum Seeker Bags.. a bit more $ but very nice!

I 2nd the Humes & Berg Galaxy and DrumSeeker bags. They're essentially the same, except that the DrumSeekers are lined with fleece. So DrumSeekers offer pretty much the exact same protection as Protection Racket, but are priced a bit less. Plus I really like their handles, too. If you're interested in bags rather than hard cases, I'd definitely check these out.

For bags, Protection Racket all the way for me, & That's not just a patriotic choice, I've never had even the slightest issue with them = superb product.

Of course, if you're trucking your stuff, than hard cases all the way, or flight cases if you're lucky enough to have crew & loading ramps :)

padded skb all the way!

if you want serious protection, short of flight cases, nothing even comes close.

not cheap but definitely worth the investment if you own a nice set of drums.

had mine for number of years, only thing that has gone wrong on the case is the badge falling off one of the case... easily fixed with some glue.

The best cases like everything else in life are the ones that fit both your needs and your wallet.

+1 for Ahead Armor Cases. Did a bunch of research and these were the best soft cases I could find. Crappy cell phone pics incoming:

cases1.jpg

cases2.jpg

Yes, I have since taken the tags off.

Edit: All six cases cost less than $350 US.

Last edited:
padded skb all the way!

if you want serious protection, short of flight cases, nothing even comes close.

not cheap but definitely worth the investment if you own a nice set of drums.

had mine for number of years, only thing that has gone wrong on the case is the badge falling off one of the case... easily fixed with some glue.

+1...Agree!...SKB are great cases!...

I use UK made HARDCASE cases for all my drums/cymbals/hardware. They work great. I know that my gear is safe and I dont have to worry about it. One disadvantage is weight. Cymbal bag is very heavy but that is not a big problem

Beato Pro 1's. The Original. Made in America. Fred Beato, the owner,created a ecommerce link from the Beato website and is selling them now factory direct to the artist. He personally helps you get the right size to accommodate your hardware. He's a drummer, too. I talked to him on his cell phone! Prices are unbelievable and he's including free shipping. Beato has an endorsee program too. A friend of mine needed some weird configuration and Beato made it, no problem. Best deal for drummers I've found in a long time.

Second that.Hardcase is terrific.

Nah, my bass drum case is a Hardcase brand and IMO there are much better cases out there for the money. For what I spent on the case and then buying a padded bag to stop the hoops from getting scuffed from the drum moving around inside the case I could have bought an SKB and had cash left over.

Last edited:
I'll put in another vote for the Ahead Armor Cases and that is only if you are the one handling and trucking your equipment around. If not, then hard cases are definately the way to go.

Nah, my bass drum case is a Hardcase brand and IMO there are much better cases out there for the money. For what I spent on the case and then buying a padded bag to stop the hoops from getting scuffed from the drum moving around inside the case I could have bought an SKB and had cash left over.

I don't understand how Hardcases could scuff your hoops. The plastic is fairly soft, much softer than a triple-flanged hoop. There is no chance the plastic would even touch your drums because of the hoops keeping the plastic out of the way. I prefer no padding as that would just add to the weight and solid plastic cases are pretty heavy.

I got my Hardcases in 2006, when they were still distributed in the US, and they were quite a bit less expensive than SKB. I do have an SKB hardware case and Humes and Berg cymbals case, though.

For bags, Protection Racket all the way for me, & That's not just a patriotic choice, I've never had even the slightest issue with them = superb product.

Of course, if you're trucking your stuff, than hard cases all the way, or flight cases if you're lucky enough to have crew & loading ramps :)

i agree with this post. Protection Racket all the way. Superb construction all round.

I don't understand how Hardcases could scuff your hoops. The plastic is fairly soft, much softer than a triple-flanged hoop. There is no chance the plastic would even touch your drums because of the hoops keeping the plastic out of the way. I prefer no padding as that would just add to the weight and solid plastic cases are pretty heavy.

I got my Hardcases in 2006, when they were still distributed in the US, and they were quite a bit less expensive than SKB. I do have an SKB hardware case and Humes and Berg cymbals case, though.

Bass drums dont have triple flanged hoops, and the bass drum would slide around inside the case rubbing the lacquered finish wood hoop against the side of the case and scuffed the finish like someone rubbed it with a scotch brite pad. I had paid $4500 for my shell pack and was really pissed that I bought casees to protect them and it was the case that caused the firts damage. I ended up buying a padded bag to use as a liner but with the price of the Hardcase and the bag it ended up costing me more than an SKB padded case.

Bass drums dont have triple flanged hoops, and the bass drum would slide around inside the case rubbing the lacquered finish wood hoop against the side of the case and scuffed the finish like someone rubbed it with a scotch brite pad. I had paid $4500 for my shell pack and was really pissed that I bought casees to protect them and it was the case that caused the firts damage. I ended up buying a padded bag to use as a liner but with the price of the Hardcase and the bag it ended up costing me more than an SKB padded case.

OK, now I understand - it was a bass drum. Yeah, I can see that happening. It seems that if you tightened the straps a bit the compression would keep the drum from moving. Hardcases do have foam strips glued into the inside faces but sometimes these come off.

I'm pretty happy with my H&B drum seeker bags the snare drum bag was only $30..not bad & they're plush on the inside,durable on the outside..;)

Bonzolead

OK, now I understand - it was a bass drum. Yeah, I can see that happening. It seems that if you tightened the straps a bit the compression would keep the drum from moving. Hardcases do have foam strips glued into the inside faces but sometimes these come off.

My Hardcase never had any foam strips or anything inside it and even with the straps as tight as possible the bass drum still moved around. It was tight enough that the heads of the tension rods left marks in the case when it moved. The bass drum case is big enough that without ribs built into it the plastic it can flex allowing the drum to move back and forth during transport just enough to scuff the finish. Anyway I still use it with a padded bag inside but as I replace my older cases its only SKB from now on. Plus there customer service is second to none. I had a problem with a snare case and they sent me a brand new one free of charge no questions asked with a prepaid voucher included to ship the old one back from Canada.

Probably depends most on who's moving your equipment.

If you're moving your drums in a closed car, bags are likely OK. If your bandmates are "helping" you tote your drums in the bed of a truck, hard cases might be better. If you tour more than you're home, hard cases only.

I "roadie" my own gear, so went with H&B Drum Seekers, 'cause a nearby drum store quoted me a nice price [thanks to Allied Music of Ohio - formerly Peeler Drum Center]. They requested AND GOT a quick ship from the factory just in time for a gig!

Pros: the *thick* pile lining should protect your drums from normal handling mishaps. I wouldn't drop one down a flight of stairs in a Drum Seeker bag, but they'll shrug off a bit of weather and bumps in doorways, stacking and such. Good pulls, tough cordura skin, useable handles.

Cons: made in China. No significant flaws, but if made in [your home country] is important... The stitching inside and outside isn't isn't perfect, but is still serviceable.

I use all Beato Pro 1 bags, but they are pricey. The thing I like about them, other than being very well made, is the material is like a shiney vinyl that appears to be water-proof. It rains alot where I live, so that matters to me.

Back